Report: Cowboys Extend Randy Gregory's Contract

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By SCOOBY AXSON

April 02, 2019

The Dallas Cowboys extended the contract of suspended defensive end Randy Gregory, keeping him with the team through the 2020 season, reports NFL.com.

According to the report, $310,000 of his salary for 2019 was converted into a signing bonus. The deal also includes a one-year salary of $735,000 which could be more depending on escalators.

The NFL indefinitely suspended the 26-year-old Gregory in February for another violation of the league's substance abuse policy and not following the terms of his conditional reinstatement,

Gregory has been suspended four times since being drafted in the second round of the 2015 draft.

He played 12 games his rookie year and two games in 2016. He missed the entire 2017 season because of suspension but came back to play 14 games in 2018, where he recorded a career-high six sacks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We're basically just keeping his rights for next to nothing in the event that he's allowed to play.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Maybe the FO knows something about the suspension that we don't? I'm not sure how I feel about extending the kid otherwise.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Gregory is dumb, both on and off the field. If he skipped testing...with his history, basically an admission of guilt. Also, he makes some dumb late hits and shit on the field.

Now having said that...he does have real pass rush skills, can be disruptive, and he is better than Charlton and Armstrong. I have no issue hedging here with him

p1_

DCC 4Life
he is better than Charlton and Armstrong.
Lets see what Armstrong does this year, not being a rookie and all. taco, on the other hand...

Carp

DCC 4Life
Lets see what Armstrong does this year, not being a rookie and all. taco, on the other hand...
Armstrong is a depth guy. I liked him against the run, but to me he is just rotational.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Armstrong is a depth guy. I liked him against the run, but to me he is just rotational.
I think he's expected to bring pressure on QB. That's what im looking for.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Is there anything to make Dallas think that Gregory will get the suspension lifted when he perpetually ignores the rules? I guess I am missing something about the contract renewal and how it works in Dallas’s favor?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He’s a dark horse with some nice potential for sure.

Taco needs a good sports psychologist. He needs to dump the stupid sack celebration and get serious about being a pro. It takes longer for some players. Hopefully it happens to Charleton and before his rookie deal expires.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He’s a dark horse with some nice potential for sure.

Taco needs a good sports psychologist. He needs to dump the stupid sack celebration and get serious about being a pro. It takes longer for some players. Hopefully it happens to Charleton and before his rookie deal expires.
I dont think the sack celebration is a problem. It's not like he gets a chance to let it be a distraction. He actually has to get sacks. I just think he is what he is. Poor first round choice but could be ok depth?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I dont think the sack celebration is a problem. It's not like he gets a chance to let it be a distraction. He actually has to get sacks. I just think he is what he is. Poor first round choice but could be ok depth?
One would hope he could at least be that.

I think the fact that the celebration even exists kind of demonstrates he’s put the cart before the horse to a degree.

He has the frame to be a solid LDE in the league for years.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I assume the contract extension was more of a personal favor for a guy who they like and who they're trying to help. I don't think they believe he'll ever be on the field again; especially after what we just saw this past season from Josh Gordon who is in a similar predicament.

Just my hunch.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assume the contract extension was more of a personal favor for a guy who they like and who they're trying to help. I don't think they believe he'll ever be on the field again; especially after what we just saw this past season from Josh Gordon who is in a similar predicament.

Just my hunch.
I don't agree. The extension is just a cheap way of insuring that if he gets on the field he will be playing for peanuts instead of the money a man of his skills would usually get paid.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't agree. The extension is just a cheap way of insuring that if he gets on the field he will be playing for peanuts instead of the money a man of his skills would usually get paid.
I guess one of my questions is does he take up a spot on the roster that could be filled by someone that can play. The roster is the thing I an looking at moreso than the money.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Imo, it's an extension that benefits both sides. Randy Gregory gets a little more money and support from the team while he goes through this, and for their part, IF he is able to return to play, the team gets him for another season at a rock bottom price. If he never plays again, the team really doesn't lose much.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I guess one of my questions is does he take up a spot on the roster that could be filled by someone that can play. The roster is the thing I an looking at moreso than the money.
Not while he's under suspension, no.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Gregory has really screwed us over the course of his career. Another second round pick wasted.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
If Lawrence was a habitual pothead, his deal would have been done by now. Only shitheads get rewarded in Jerryville.

Top Bottom