Watkins: Jerry Jones likes his Cowboys roster, regardless of what you think of it

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I like this current roster. We definitely need to focus on the interior of the DL and still need help at S. Iloka fits Richard...at least I can make a small correlation with him and Chancellor. Connor Williams is a big question mark to me...he flat out has to get stronger or he rides the pine and start Looney at LG or shift Collins inside and go with Fleming at RT. For sentimentality, I love having Witten back, but we have lacked an athletic TE for so long, it has been a glaring need for a long time. No Gathers, Bennett, or Escotron...ones who we just thought would jump over DBs to make catches. Think Jordan Reed without concussions.
There was a tweet that I forget who tweeted that stated that Conner has already added 10 pounds of muscle. At least he is addressing the issue.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I won’t go so far to say that Garrett is a bad coach because I don’t think he is a bad coach. I would place him in the average category and I think his overall record will substantiate that. I don’t see him as being able to make it to the Championship level and in my opinion you have to be a very good coach with qualified personnel on both sides of the ball to get there. He is as good as some of the coaches in the NFL but that won’t get you over the top.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I couldnt imagine

Well, that's what happens when your mind is so closed that you don't even bother reading and trying to understand other perspectives.

I don't want to stick with something bad. I want to stick with something that's NOT BAD, where the reality of doing worse is very real and actually relatively likely givem Jerry's history, but I'm willing to target clear upgrades.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I won’t go so far to say that Garrett is a bad coach because I don’t think he is a bad coach. I would place him in the average category and I think his overall record will substantiate that. I don’t see him as being able to make it to the Championship level and in my opinion you have to be a very good coach with qualified personnel on both sides of the ball to get there. He is as good as some of the coaches in the NFL but that won’t get you over the top.
That's more or less my take -- with the exception being that, average coaches reach Championship games all the time, and Super Bowls not infrequently.

Getting an elite coach is worth way more than getting elite talent, because the coaching impacts everything, and the talent lasts a lot shorter time, so there's no question there. But guys like Brad Childress, Mike Smith, Dan Quinn, Mike Zimmer, John Fox, Doug Marrone, Chuck Pagano, Jim Caldwell, Rex Ryan, Norv Turner.... these guys in the past decade or so have one or multiple championship game appearances. Some have been to or won the Super Bowl. But these guys are also largely journeymen head coaches who are Garrett's effective peers. I mean, unless you want to try to argue that Brad Childress, John Fox or Jim Caldwell are better head coaches, but there's really no measurable that could substantiate that, other than to claim merely making a Championship game means he's better (which I reject, on the premise that there are too many variables to make that simple conclusion).

The ones in the past decade who are clearly better are the ones who get to these Championship games again and again.... Belichick, Reid, Tomlin (though I think that's debatable), John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, maybe Ron Rivera (though he's up and down). Perhaps Sean McVay is going to join that category, maybe Doug Pederson (though frankly, that's a situation that I think is COMPLETELY based on the personnel/front office.... I think Pederson would tank anywhere else).

But then there is also the list of losers who get hired, might be hot names, and then are fired again and completely forgotten. Garrett is better than those guys, and that's a long list.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I always love the thinking that we can't switch coaches because Jerry is the one doing the hiring and we know he's a football idiot who would probably make a bad hire... when Garrett is only here because he's Jerry's all-time favorite boy.

And no kidding Garrett could win a Superbowl if he has great talent and everything breaks exactly right. Brian Billick won a Superbowl. But why not try to give yourself better odds than that?

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I was labeled a "shit-stirrer" and had a post deleted in which I pointed out that there's a reason for the last 25 years of futility -- it's called Jerry. I guess someone confused the bad news with the bearer of the bad news. Some folks just don't like being confronted with reality.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I was labeled a "shit-stirrer" and had a post deleted in which I pointed out that there's a reason for the last 25 years of futility -- it's called Jerry. I guess someone confused the bad news with the bearer of the bad news. Some folks just don't like being confronted with reality.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
DR, plenty of posters here have blamed Jerry over the years, it's not exactly a revelation.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
DR, plenty of posters here have blamed Jerry over the years, it's not exactly a revelation.
Our cover has been blown. This place is where we all defend Jerry. Will even go so far as deleting posts when somebody points out that he's a problem.

Guess we are like he says in his reply to that .gif

Confronting reality. :lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's because your post had nothing to do with what anyone was talking about in an attempt to troll. Aka shit stirring. And I have no idea what post you're claiming was deleted.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Our cover has been blown. This place is where we all defend Jerry. Will even go so far as deleting posts when somebody points out that he's a problem.

Guess we are like he says in his reply to that .gif

Confronting reality. :lol
Did I say all? No. I said "plenty". I could go back and change it to "some" if you want to bicker over semantics.

Try improving your reading comprehension.

'Plenty"

"More than sufficient; ample"

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/plenty

The dictionary is your friend, you know.

data

Forbes #1
I admittedly jumped on the bandwagon in 1992. Tennessee didn't have a team yet and Fox always had the Cowboys or 49'ers on, and I just really loved listening to Madden and Summerall broadcast a game and seeing the triplets in action. Runningback was my favorite position, and Emmitt was the greatest. Still, to this day, FU barry fans.

Anyways.... I never would've imagined that I'd see my (then) favorite team win their last Super Bowl in my lifetime when I was only 17.

Come to think of it, the 90's were probably the peak for me as a football fan..... Cowboys won three Super Bowls, Tennessee was a perennial power and won a national championship. I was too young to appreciate it and took it for granted. It's been over two decades of misery ever since.

Now, my love for the cowboys has been replaced with disdain, thanks to the Jones family and Jasons stupid fucking face. Plus Goodell has done so much to the NFL that I hate (changed draft weekend, overseas games, weird suspension rules, can't play physical anymore etc etc etc) I don't even pay attention to it anymore. I only still come here because despite @Nodaks rude guy facade, I know he secretly appreciates everything I post. Plus I keep coming back in hopes I'll find EZ or sbk92 took the forum back from @iamtdg's dumbass.

Tangent over. Die Jerry. Go Vols. Soon...
Flatly Nomination for Best Off-Season Ranty.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Garrett is vanilla in an era where it takes chocolate fudge brownie or some other combo to win it all.

He brings not a single thing to the equation.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Did I say all? No. I said "plenty". I could go back and change it to "some" if you want to bicker over semantics.

Try improving your reading comprehension.

'Plenty"

"More than sufficient; ample"

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/plenty

The dictionary is your friend, you know.
Holy fuck. Sensitive much? I was playing off what you wrote, making fun of HIM basically saying that people here can't handle Jerry being criticized. I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to figure out, especially considering you mentioned people blaming Jerry, and I mentioned people defending Jerry.

Jesus Christ. And you say that I should try improving MY reading comprehension? :lol

midswat

... soon
Well, that's what happens when your mind is so closed that you don't even bother reading and trying to understand other perspectives.

I don't want to stick with something bad. I want to stick with something that's NOT BAD, where the reality of doing worse is very real and actually relatively likely givem Jerry's history, but I'm willing to target clear upgrades.
Garrett is a Jeff Fisher/Marvin Lewis. You’re satisfied with that because of an irrational fear of finding something worse. Logic being because omg Jerry would make the hire.

Apparently lost on you that Jerry is fine keeping Jason here.

Whatever. Enjoy another 8-8 to 11-5 season followed by an early post season exit followed by another offseason where Jerry tells us he likes the roster and we’re close and a Garrett extension followed by another 8-8 to 11-5 season followed by an early post season exit followed by a ....... get it?

Screw taking risks! This cycle is awesome!!

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Holy fuck. Sensitive much? I was playing off what you wrote, making fun of HIM basically saying that people here can't handle Jerry being criticized. I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to figure out, especially considering you mentioned people blaming Jerry, and I mentioned people defending Jerry.

Jesus Christ. And you say that I should try improving MY reading comprehension? :lol
Oh so sorry, I have this tendency to read things literally as written and since you have something of a history of making smartass comments to some of my posts, I was considering the source.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Oh so sorry, I have this tendency to read things literally as written and since you have something of a history of making smartass comments to some of my posts, I was considering the source.
No problem. Just thought it was funny.

And for the record, I don't just make smartass comments to your posts. I make smartass comments to everyone's posts. You're not special. :art

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Garrett is a Jeff Fisher/Marvin Lewis. You’re satisfied with that because of an irrational fear of finding something worse. Logic being because omg Jerry would make the hire.

Apparently lost on you that Jerry is fine keeping Jason here.

Whatever. Enjoy another 8-8 to 11-5 season followed by an early post season exit followed by another offseason where Jerry tells us he likes the roster and we’re close and a Garrett extension followed by another 8-8 to 11-5 season followed by an early post season exit followed by a ....... get it?

Screw taking risks! This cycle is awesome!!
I’m fine taking a risk. As long as it’s a high end one like Lincoln Riley.

I’m not willing to fire Garrett and then line up interviews with Mike McCoy and Norv Turner though.

Top Bottom