Watkins: Jerry Jones likes his Cowboys roster, regardless of what you think of it

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
He dropped a 'Dallas Plowboys'. He has a lot of anger for a 3rd grader.
I actually can't remember ever hearing that one before, probably because it's lame af. Do better deadrise

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm pretty much with Ravi. By design or simple luck, this team has more than enough talent. We have Pro bowl talent everywhere. I suspect schmitty is down playing that to protect a certain orange headed coach.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I think our talent acquisition is being slightly overblown. It's good -- way better than we are used to in the Jones era.

But our starting QB has been mediocre and there's no guarantee that he's definitely going to take the next step. The WR core was the worst in football heading into last year. We continue to spring leaks all along the defensive line. These are the most important areas on your team, absent the OL, which, by the way, is starting to age a bit. And we still have very little at safety, as it has been for over a decade.

We are real good some places... OL.... we have an elite RB.... we got good value on Cooper, though paying a first for a 26 year old, I would hesitate to say is "great" value unless they are an all-pro. We hit the jackpot on our LB selections the last couple years.

I think we probably measure up relatively averagely, at least compared to other lower end playoff teams.
Yeah Ravi must be watching a different team than who I saw get their asses handed to them by an off the street FA running back.

Draft talent is definitely better, but the Front Offices' evaluation of FA talent in critical areas of the roster is still WAY down the list when compared to other teams.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah Ravi must be watching a different team than who I saw get their asses handed to them by an off the street FA running back.
Bad games happen. Sometimes shit gets away from you and just starts snowballing. One game doesn't define the entirety of the defense. Especially when your coaches refuse to adjust to what they are seeing happen. Marinelli's refusal to come out of the 4-2-5 when we were being gashed is the biggest culprit.

I wouldn't say we are as good as our best couple performances. Just like I wouldn't say we are as bad as our worst couple.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I can't possibly agree that we are more talented than more than about 65-75% of the teams out there. Not with a QB with so many question marks, a receiving core that's decidedly average, and question marks all over for pass rush and safety. Then we are decidedly LESS TALENTED than a good handful of teams as well.

Which IMO is right about where we finished. In the final 8.

Of course we have Pro Bowlers at every level. So do those other 7-8 teams, including very important positions where we lack true high end players, like QB.

Reading this thread, and you'd think we are one of the most talented 2-3 teams in the league. No, that's simply not the case.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I Reading this thread, and you'd think we are one of the most talented 2-3 teams in the league. No, that's simply not the case.
I’d say we’re top 10.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d say we’re top 10.
We are easily top 10 for sure. We don't have a top 5 QB in the NFL but that only gets you so far as you've seen with QBs if you don't have an upper level coach. The problem is we have to be realistic about this coaching staff. And they are maybe top 20 in the NFL at best. As we all saw with Aaron Rodgers last year and Phillip Rivers for many years before that. You need to have a roster around the QB. Hell even the great Brees had some mediocre years when the talent wasn't around him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Draft talent is definitely better, but the Front Offices' evaluation of FA talent in critical areas of the roster is still WAY down the list when compared to other teams.
Sounds like we are too close to it to be objective.

The Cowboys had five pro-bowlers in 2019 which was tied with the Saints and Bears for highest in the NFC. The Texans also had five, Steelers and Chiefs six, and the Chargers had the most with seven.

So we were in a four-way tie for fourth, and every team had their snubs.

Anyways the whole point is coaching and QB get you to the dance while talent can only set the stage.

As proof the Pats had two and the Rams four (though the Rams cheated to get there and their final score proved they didn't belong).

BTW,

Lord only knows how bad the Chargers' coaching has been for so long to have had Rivers and never really gotten close to beating New England (especially 2006, when the team had overwhelming talent and collapsed to lose to NE in spectacular 2007-Cowboysesque fashion).

midswat

... soon
Oh, so now the yardstick for comparison is the Cleveland Browns? "Oh yeah? Well at least we don't suck as much as Cleveland." How pathetic.

Here's a list of the teams in the same category as the Dallas Plowboys in terms of playoff futility -- not having appeared in conference championship games for 25 years or more. Really good company.
30Cincinnati Bengals ^1988 AFCWon vs. Buffalo
27Washington Redskins ^1991 NFCWon vs. Detroit
27Detroit Lions ^1991 NFCLost vs. Washington
26 [SUP][a][/SUP]Cleveland Browns ^1989 AFCLost vs. Denver
26Miami Dolphins ^1992 AFCLost vs. Buffalo
25Buffalo Bills ^1993 AFCWon vs. Kansas City
23Dallas Cowboys ^1995 NFCWon vs. Green Bay
I admittedly jumped on the bandwagon in 1992. Tennessee didn't have a team yet and Fox always had the Cowboys or 49'ers on, and I just really loved listening to Madden and Summerall broadcast a game and seeing the triplets in action. Runningback was my favorite position, and Emmitt was the greatest. Still, to this day, FU barry fans.

Anyways.... I never would've imagined that I'd see my (then) favorite team win their last Super Bowl in my lifetime when I was only 17.

Come to think of it, the 90's were probably the peak for me as a football fan..... Cowboys won three Super Bowls, Tennessee was a perennial power and won a national championship. I was too young to appreciate it and took it for granted. It's been over two decades of misery ever since.

Now, my love for the cowboys has been replaced with disdain, thanks to the Jones family and Jasons stupid fucking face. Plus Goodell has done so much to the NFL that I hate (changed draft weekend, overseas games, weird suspension rules, can't play physical anymore etc etc etc) I don't even pay attention to it anymore. I only still come here because despite @Nodaks rude guy facade, I know he secretly appreciates everything I post. Plus I keep coming back in hopes I'll find EZ or sbk92 took the forum back from @iamtdg's dumbass.

Tangent over. Die Jerry. Go Vols. Soon...

UncleMilti

Staff member
Bad games happen. Sometimes shit gets away from you and just starts snowballing. One game doesn't define the entirety of the defense. Especially when your coaches refuse to adjust to what they are seeing happen. Marinelli's refusal to come out of the 4-2-5 when we were being gashed is the biggest culprit.

I wouldn't say we are as good as our best couple performances. Just like I wouldn't say we are as bad as our worst couple.
The coaching is always subpar when it comes to Garrett but since Richard has come on board the defense has been solid.

I would have to believe Marinelli and Richard knew something we didn’t and had a reason for why they stayed in the defense they did.

But overall the team always seems to shit the bed on the big stage.

midswat

... soon
I agree we are top 10, and that's exactly where we finished in the playoff race.
And that’s kind of a problem. Because Jason isn’t good enough or creative enough or have a feel for a game well enough to ever win it all. To do so, be will have to have a team that is head and shoulders better than anyone else. Problem is, in the playoffs everyone is good.

On an even playing field, Garrett isn’t out coaching three different teams. More than likely, it’s his coaching that’ll lead to the teams exit.

UncleMilti

Staff member
I admittedly jumped on the bandwagon in 1992. Tennessee didn't have a team yet and Fox always had the Cowboys or 49'ers on, and I just really loved listening to Madden and Summerall broadcast a game and seeing the triplets in action. Runningback was my favorite position, and Emmitt was the greatest. Still, to this day, FU barry fans.

Anyways.... I never would've imagined that I'd see my (then) favorite team win their last Super Bowl in my lifetime when I was only 17.

Come to think of it, the 90's were probably the peak for me as a football fan..... Cowboys won three Super Bowls, Tennessee was a perennial power and won a national championship. I was too young to appreciate it and took it for granted. It's been over two decades of misery ever since.

Now, my love for the cowboys has been replaced with disdain, thanks to the Jones family and Jasons stupid fucking face. Plus Goodell has done so much to the NFL that I hate (changed draft weekend, overseas games, weird suspension rules, can't play physical anymore etc etc etc) I don't even pay attention to it anymore. I only still come here because despite @Nodaks rude guy facade, I know he secretly appreciates everything I post. Plus I keep coming back in hopes I'll find EZ or sbk92 took the forum back from @iamtdg's dumbass.

Damn.

:lol

:roboclap

DLK150

DCC 4Life

I thought the SB drought from the late 70s to early 90s would never end. I was spoiled because I've been a fan since the early 70s and Dallas was always in the mix. Then came this recent two decade plus era of SB futility that turned the previous drought into a fond memory. Beating the Bills in that SB was a huge bright spot that lifted me up after a bad divorce. I lived in an apartment and had neighbors complaining about the noise I made when it was over. Did not GAS.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I like this current roster. We definitely need to focus on the interior of the DL and still need help at S. Iloka fits Richard...at least I can make a small correlation with him and Chancellor. Connor Williams is a big question mark to me...he flat out has to get stronger or he rides the pine and start Looney at LG or shift Collins inside and go with Fleming at RT. For sentimentality, I love having Witten back, but we have lacked an athletic TE for so long, it has been a glaring need for a long time. No Gathers, Bennett, or Escotron...ones who we just thought would jump over DBs to make catches. Think Jordan Reed without concussions.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And that’s kind of a problem. Because Jason isn’t good enough or creative enough or have a feel for a game well enough to ever win it all. To do so, be will have to have a team that is head and shoulders better than anyone else. Problem is, in the playoffs everyone is good.

On an even playing field, Garrett isn’t out coaching three different teams. More than likely, it’s his coaching that’ll lead to the teams exit.
I mean, I agree it's "kind of" a problem. Garrett can't be counted on to out-coach opponent after opponent, and against a similarly-talented team, if he faces a Bill Belichick, we don't have much of a chance. Of course, pretty much no one has had a chance against Belichick when he comes with highly talented teams, that's why they've won 6 Super Bowls and been to like, every AFC Championship game.

But leave the hyperbole. It's "kind of" a problem. I can think of a scenario where this team, even under talented as it is in comparison to the Rams and Chiefs, could draw a favorable matchup slate and make a run. We could beat a Philadelphia or Green Bay at home in a divisional round matchup, I don't doubt that at all. Going on the road to play a championship game against the Saints would be extremely tough, as would the Rams (though as we saw, not really that tough - we were right in the thick of that last game). Going on the road to, say, the Bears? A non unimaginable outcome? I would probably favor us.

And from there, again, it's matchup based. If you draw the Patriots in the Super Bowl? Probably can't win it. If we draw the Chiefs? Who knows? Reid has his own history of big game fuck ups. And it's not exactly unheard of that you get a team that doesn't belong there -- like the Cardinals or Titans or some other upstart, that you probably don't have to "outcoach" to beat; you just have to tie them on coaching. This is the vast majority of NFL matchups by the way.

I can also think of scenarios where "kind of" a problem becomes a much bigger problem with a worse coach. So when Sean Payton becomes available or Lincoln Riley wants in, I'm all on board; when our options are otherwise the Mike McCoys of the world, nope, I'm not up for that.

midswat

... soon
I didn’t read all that. Just the first paragraph and last paragraph. I can assure you nothing about my post was hyperbole. If you haven’t learned by now that Jason is not a good coach, then we’ll agree to disagree.

I couldnt imagine having the mentality of wanting to stick with something bad and wasting season after season out of fear of your next hire being worse.

• Props
Reactions: Rev
Top Bottom