Cowboys Sign WR Randall Cobb

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Exactly right. The fan base infatuation with Beasley is hilarious.

If Cobb is healthy this is a great signing.
It’s not an infatuation with Beasley. Its a recognition that he is a reliable clutch reciever who is a known factor. There is no need to try to diminish his abilities just because he wanted more money. As you said the only way replacing him with Cobb is an improvement is if he plays. That remains to be seen.

D

Deuce

It’s not an infatuation with Beasley. Its a recognition that he is a reliable clutch reciever who is a known factor. There is no need to try to diminish his abilities just because he wanted more money. As you said the only way replacing him with Cobb is an improvement is if he plays. That remains to be seen.
Cobb is a proven guy to be a stop gap for a season when they are trying to make a run. Beasley’s real replacement should come in the draft and there are a lot of guys who can provide what he did.

p1_

DCC 4Life
What Cobb does that Measly never will:

In a word, speed.

This was week one of last season. The mofo can still bring it. Health is the concern, and thus the oh so friendly contract.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What Cobb does that Measly never will:

In a word, speed.

This was week one of last season. The mofo can still bring it. Health is the concern, and thus the oh so friendly contract.
Yeah they are both excellent slot receivers but different in their own ways. Cobb did not have a good season last year with the injuries. But prior to that he was consistently a better receiver than Beasley. Should be interesting to see how Cobb fits into the offense. Either way this is obviously a short term move and it would be great to get a rookie up to speed over the course of this season.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah they are both excellent slot receivers but different in their own ways. Cobb did not have a good season last year with the injuries. But prior to that he was consistently a better receiver than Beasley. Should be interesting to see how Cobb fits into the offense. Either way this is obviously a short term move and it would be great to get a rookie up to speed over the course of this season.
definitely different players, Cobb can break plays when healthy. I also hope we get a guy to groom, think we will.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Cobb is a proven guy to be a stop gap for a season when they are trying to make a run. Beasley’s real replacement should come in the draft and there are a lot of guys who can provide what he did.
I am sure there are other players that have equal or better skills but my point is that there is no need to try to diminish Beasley just because he wanted more money. He is still a good clutch reciever regardless of who he plays for.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
To be fair both sides of the spectrum are ridiculous.
Beasely is average. He’s slow, little, can’t block, and has 0 game outside of the slot. He’s a niche player.

Cobb is a complete WR who happens to play some slot. When he was a returner, he was dangerous. Beasley’s career long in 38 career PR’s is 22 hilarious yards.

The comparison is ridiculous. I’d rather have Cobb’ out for health reasons than Beasley’s annual disappearances burning up an active roster spot.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Beasely is average. He’s slow, little, can’t block, and has 0 game outside of the slot. He’s a niche player.

Cobb is a complete WR who happens to play some slot. When he was a returner, he was dangerous. Beasley’s career long in 38 career PR’s is 22 hilarious yards.

The comparison is ridiculous. I’d rather have Cobb’ out for health reasons than Beasley’s annual disappearances burning up an active roster spot.
Like I said... both extremes are ridiculous.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Like I said... both extremes are ridiculous.
Everything I described about Beasley is true.

It’s not extreme if it’s right. He plays 86% of snaps from the slot. That’s ridiculous. Maybe that’s Linehan, but more likely it’s Beasleys limitations.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think it’s the latter

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

It’s not extreme if it’s right. He plays 86% of snaps from the slot. That’s ridiculous. Maybe that’s Linehan, but more likely it’s Beasleys limitations.
Yeah he isn't good when they do try him on the outside. He is a very specialized player. He is really good at what he does from the slot but he is limited and it makes our offense more predictable. There is nothing wrong about pointing out his weaknesses. Of course he has his strengths too which is why I would have kept Beasley around if he was still being paid in the 4-5 mil range. But he was able to get more money elsewhere. I'll be very surprised if he even meets last years productivity with the Bills. But that's how most free agent signings go. They rarely live up to the contracts they sign and are cut in a year or two. Good for Beasley to get the money while he can though.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

You do remember a few years ago there was an issue with some WR because they said he couldnt play the X or He plays the X so they couldnt move him? I do think the pigeon their WRs to play a certain spot. Not that I think Beasley could ever play outside. He was right were he was supposed to be and I have always said that there was some value in that and there was. Your extreme is not about the numbers. Beasley has been your whipping post for years. Always negative about the player so yeah I would put you on one side of the extreme. Its just a ridiculous stance to me and the same for the ones that are crying about him leaving. Beasley was good but we can (and did if he stays healthy) get better.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I softened on Beasley when it was clear Dak needed him in 2016, but then I guess those posts were lost in the crowd.

However, Dak has outgrown the need for Beasley as a crutch, and we don't have the coaching or QB accuracy or PEDs to take Beasley into Julian Edelman or even Wes Welker territory.

A guy like Cobb is so much better on many levels.

We should play Cooper, Cobb, and Gallup. It makes utterly no sense that a limited guy like Beasley sends one of them to the bench.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Your post is confusing to me. Wasn’t 2016 Daks rookie year? What are the circumstance behind your comment ? Are you saying that Beasley wasn’t a team player and didn’t support Dak? As I said I am confused?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Your post is confusing to me. Wasn’t 2016 Daks rookie year? What are the circumstance behind your comment ? Are you saying that Beasley wasn’t a team player and didn’t support Dak? As I said I am confused?
It was clear Dak needed Beasley in 2016, so I backed off my criticism of Cole that year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
I can’t wait to see how this works out . I feel really good about this signing.

Top Bottom