Cowboys Involved In Trade Talks With Dolphins For DE Robert Quinn

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
In what world are we getting Quinnen Williams in exchange for Lawrence? That'd mean we moved him for a top 5 pick which has exactly a 0.0% chance of happening. The best case scenario is moving into the 9-12 range and getting an Ed Oliver, Rashan Gary, Clelin Ferrell or Montez Sweat, which I'd certainly be fine with if Lawrence is asking for Donald/Mack money. Even then, our need for an edge rusher could still be there since Gary/Oliver are 3T's in our system.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd move Byron Jones for a mid-2nd at this point, I don't think I'd even wait on a 1st. He's very replaceable in Richard's system, all you need is a 6-1 to 6-3 200-210 lb freak who runs a sub-4.5 and has 32+ inch arms and Richard will have him starting in no time.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
fucking Morning Snooze makes you pay for content anymore.
The Cowboys' pursuit of defensive end Robert Quinn has nothing to do with the club's current impasse with DeMarcus Lawrence.

It has everything to do with Randy Gregory's uncertain future and Taco Charlton's regression.

Quinn spent most of Tuesday at The Star before leaving to visit New Orleans. Since he remains under contract to Miami, this tour is confirmation a deal is imminent. The only question is which team gains his services? If it's the Saints, the Cowboys will find themselves in a bind.

Again, acquiring Quinn shouldn't be viewed as insurance against an inability to sign Lawrence. Quinn is the starting defensive end the Cowboys need to pair with Lawrence in 2019.

Gregory filled that role, but his latest suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy means the club has no idea when, or if, Gregory will be able to play this season. That leaves Tyrone Crawford, Dorance Armstrong and Charlton, who is coming off shoulder surgery, as the only players from last year's roster who spent any appreciable time at defensive end. Those three combined for seven sacks.

Quinn had 6.5 sacks for Miami last season, which is half-a-sack more than Gregory.

Dallas has signed Christian Covington and Kerry Hyder in the first week of free agency. Both players will help the defensive line rotation, but neither should be viewed as a replacement for Gregory.

The Cowboys don't have a first-round pick in the upcoming draft. Their first selection is No. 58 in the second round. Any defensive end that has a chance to step in on Day One and rush the passer will be long gone by that stage.

A creative solution is required for Dallas, and Quinn is it. The money Miami is willing to absorb to facilitate a deal, the draft pick Dallas sends to South Florida in return and whether or not Quinn gets another year added to his contract are what the principals must sort through.

Quinn turns 29 in May. He's a 4-3 defensive end likely to get lost in the 3-4 looks Miami's new coaching staff will implement. His cap hit is $11.8 million going forward since the Dolphins picked up a roster bonus of just over $1 million this month.

How much more will Miami pick up? The club assumed $5 million of the $7 million guarantee due Ryan Tannehill when it sent the quarterback to Tennessee. The cash improved the draft pick the Dolphins received from the Titans in return.

If the Cowboys can send a conditional mid-round draft pick to Miami, one that can improve based on how much Quinn contributes, if they can push that pick to 2020, if they can add another year to the player's contract to lower his cap hit this season, why wouldn't they make this deal?

The Cowboys need to make sure they do and the Saints don't.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The sad thing is I think we are one of the better teams in the NFL at drafting. We aren't good at accumulating extra picks, free agency or that sort of stuff. But when it comes down to it I think we hit on draft picks more than most. Just highlights how much of a crapshoot it is.
I'd be more worried about Ol Jer doing well with one of the firsts, then doing some kind of crazy shit with the 2nd one, like trading it out for third round picks where he can go grab 3 TE's and some injured player so that he could tell the world he actually ended up with FIVE first rounders!!
:dunce

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A 2020 4th is basically equal to a 2020 5th so I'd do it although I think I'd rather it be a 2019 5th. A 2020 5th would be ideal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A 2020 4th is basically equal to a 2020 5th so I'd do it although I think I'd rather it be a 2019 5th. A 2020 5th would be ideal.
Yeah screw that nonsense. I'm not giving up a fourth even if it's a year from now. The Dolphins gave up a fourth for him in the first place. A year older and another year of sub par production. I'd rather just move on but I'm sure Jerry will pull the trigger.

p1_

DCC 4Life
try to give the Dolphins a 5th.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'd be okay with a 2020 fourth or a 2019 fifth. Anything more than that and they can pound sand.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd be more worried about Ol Jer doing well with one of the firsts, then doing some kind of crazy shit with the 2nd one, like trading it out for third round picks where he can go grab 3 TE's and some injured player so that he could tell the world he actually ended up with FIVE first rounders!!
Come on, now. If we're gonna bitch, at least bitch about something realistic. There's enough there without throwing out completely ridiculous shit that has never happened nor ever will happen.

Indeed.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
2020 4th? For a guy who has not been anything special, and pushing 30?
​​​​​​I wouldn't do it. But if we do we damn sure better hit on both of this year's 4th's.
​​

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
2020 4th? For a guy who has not been anything special, and pushing 30?
​​​​​​I wouldn't do it. But if we do we damn sure better hit on both of this year's 4th's.
​​
His contract sucks, too. 1 year, 11 million base.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Come on, now. If we're gonna bitch, at least bitch about something realistic. There's enough there without throwing out completely ridiculous shit that has never happened nor ever will happen.

Indeed.
Shit. My description is over the top, but also tongue in cheek.

But it’s not as far out in left field as you make it out to be, and anyone who’s watched and listened to Jerry’s crazy bullshit will agree.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wonder how much of that money Miami is really willing to eat?
That's the only thing worth trading the draft pick for. An exchange of a pick for the cap space. Otherwise in no fucking way is he worth even a future fourth round pick.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Wonder how much of that money Miami is really willing to eat?
It’s the same for them in any case, just his signing bonus amortization.

About the worst value contract wise you can inherit from a trade. All salary, no offsets, if he plays a game you owe him 11 mil. Dallas doesn’t owe ay SB amortization, but that’s true of any trade.

This is a one year deal which is probably why no one is touching it.

Phiily lit a 3rd round pick on fire last year with Golden Tate. Dallas has a much lower price in mind for Quinn, and they’re hoping Miami bites. But the Dolphins can just wait all the way to the draft or even a draft day trade for a better deal.

Top Bottom