Cowboys Sign DE Kerry Hyder

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
RAIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, not a bad rotational piece. 8 sacks in 2016. Sat out 2017 with an Achilles injury, and was used sparingly in 2018. This is a decent signing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah totally ok with this. Decent depth.
Only issue I have it that if Lawrence signs, it might get us out of the draft DE business.

Hyder is a decent enough player, but he is a bit of a DT/DE tweener.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Budget 101!!!

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Had a decent year awhile back before he tore his Achilles but yeah, definitely on the smallish size for a DE. Dallas is just throwing cheap shit against the wall and hoping something sticks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Only issue I have it that if Lawrence signs, it might get us out of the draft DE business.

I'm almost certain we're going to use Hyder similarly to how we use Crawford, except he's much more explosive on the interior assuming he's physically near what he was in 2016. We almost never played Crawford at DE in nickel/dime, he always reduced inside, so I'd be shocked if they thought Hyder was an answer there.

Unless they have some under the table knowledge that Gregory won't miss much time I think we'll be in the market for a DE one way or the other.

With that in mind, I love the signing. For some reason I thought he was an RFA but he was awesome in 2016, a perfect 3T fit in pass-rushing situations in this scheme. He wasn't a fit in Patricia's scheme and often times it takes a year before guys are back to 100% coming off Achilles tears, so we may be getting a big time bargain here.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

With Taco and Dorrance I'm not sure we were going to anyway.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm almost certain we're going to use Hyder similarly to how we use Crawford, except he's much more explosive on the interior assuming he's physically near what he was in 2016. We almost never played Crawford at DE in nickel/dime, he always reduced inside, so I'd be shocked if they thought Hyder was an answer there.

Unless they have some under the table knowledge that Gregory won't miss much time I think we'll be in the market for a DE one way or the other.

With that in mind, I love the signing. For some reason I thought he was an RFA but he was awesome in 2016, a perfect 3T fit in pass-rushing situations in this scheme. He wasn't a fit in Patricia's scheme and often times it takes a year before guys are back to 100% coming off Achilles tears, so we may be getting a big time bargain here.
I have to admit, you are giving this player a lot more credit than I am willing to.

He had a good season but has been unreliable.

It is just a gamble on what might be a "pretty decent" player at the end of it all.

midswat

... soon
#Gamechanger #MissingPiece #2019sCharlesHaley

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I have to admit, you are giving this player a lot more credit than I am willing to.

He had a good season but has been unreliable.

It is just a gamble on what might be a "pretty decent" player at the end of it all.
Of course it's a gamble, anybody signing for what I'd imagine is a minimal deal is a gamble, and there is the very distinct possibility that he's never the same after the Achilles tear, but it's a gamble that I love.

Do you know who is the last Cowboy to put up 8 sacks in a year not named Demarcus Lawrence?

Jason Hatcher in 2013, 6 years ago.

Hyder led the Lions in sacks and TFL in 2016, and was 2nd amongst the DL in snaps played. This was on a team that nearly made the playoffs, not just some bottom feeder playing out the string. I have no idea whether or not he can recapture that form but if he can get anywhere near it he fits this scheme like a glove and he could end up being our best interior pass-rusher.

Assuming we gave him something like 1 year/2.5 million, that's as high upside as you're going to get on a deal like that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Scouting Report: Hyder Well-Suited For 3 Tech

FRISCO, Texas – In the second week of free agency, we’ve got some new acquisitions to discuss.

The Cowboys signed veteran defensive lineman Kerry Hyder on Monday, giving them some added depth at a position that has suffered losses in recent weeks.

Having sat down with the tape of Hyder’s last season with the Detroit Lions, here’s my scouting report on what the Cowboys are getting:

Name: Kerry Hyder
Position: DT
College: Texas Tech
Height: 6-2
Weight: 270
Draft: Undrafted in 2014, signed with New York Jets. Signed with Detroit in 2015.
  • Hyder played in seven games for the Lions last season. He missed all of 2017 with an Achilles injury.
  • The Lions had him play nose tackle as a nickel rusher – which is honestly not something I’m sure I would do.
  • He has good quickness to capture the edge of the blocker. He keeps working hard to get his shoulder past his man.
  • The Lions asked him to play head-up techniques, going directly against opposing linemen. In my opinion, he needs to be on the edge where he can use his quickness to his advantage.
  • Tends to get caught up on blocks. Playing down the middle is not good for him. Gets banged up with blockers.
  • I would like to see him win more one-on-one battles. You will see him struggle with double-team blocks, as well.
  • Hyder does a solid job finding the ball in the running game. He will work along the line until he arrives at the ball carrier.
  • His effort is good to get to the outside. Doesn’t stay in one spot for long. I was impressed with his range.
  • He can finish when he gets in position – it just didn’t happen as much in his 2018 tape.
  • If I had to guess, I think Hyder is going to be a rotational inside player for the Cowboys. I think he’s better suited to play the under-tackle than the nose.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's cool that last night I already pretty much summarized everything Broaddus says there.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I appreciate that, I like to think that Parcells wouldn't have fired me as a scout within about 3 months.

Top Bottom