Broaddus: Not signing DeMarcus Lawrence shows the disappointing reality of the Cowboys' offseason

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Wow.

If this is true, then Dallas has given him a more than generous offer.

With these details, it seems he is being completely unreasonable.

J.J. Watt doesn't get that. Trey Flowers just got $18M.

I am going the trade route right now if this is the "impasse" they are at. Get what you can for him, try to get a first or even second this year.

If not, I work the Quinn trade, let him rot on the tag. No way I rescind it and allow him to leave for nothing.

Yep. If that's what he's asking for, that's ludicrous. Trade him, draft his replacement. Screw this nonsense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Asking for 22.5 AAV is straight up bullshit, unless we're only offering like 50 guaranteed. If we're offering 6/120 with about 70 guaranteed he needs to fuck off.
I know its easy for me to say since 2.5 mil would be life changing but shit they aren't that far apart. You would think they could play with the numbers and get that done. Give him a little more guarantee or give him some funny money late in the contract he is unlikely to see.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I don't see this working out well.
I have news for Lawrence, he's not Von Miller.

Trade his ass.

I'll straight up say it -- if we could get a first and second, we'd be better off by year two without him. Maybe even by the end of year one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have news for Lawrence, he's not Von Miller.

Trade his ass.

I'll straight up say it -- if we could get a first and second, we'd be better off by year two without him. Maybe even by the end of year one.
Yeah I've been a big supporter of Lawrence. I think he is a major reason why our defense was so good last year but one player can only do so much. Even I'm starting to open up to the idea of trading him. Not sure what his trade market is. But clearly if we can't get a first for him than the rest of the league is sort of showing what they really think of him. Which means that he is over pricing himself. I don't want to have an average defense with one stud player. I'd rather trade him and be able to fill out the entire defense.

Give me enough to get Sweat in this draft and I'm not thinking twice.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Von Miller, Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald are generational players, future HOF'ers. Lawrence is not that, no matter how good he's been over the last two years, and even now the Broncos are looking at ways to get out of Miller's deal only 3 years later. At this point I'd be perfectly happy taking a 1st this year and a 2020 3rd.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Von Miller, Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald are generational players, future HOF'ers. Lawrence is not that, no matter how good he's been over the last two years, and even now the Broncos are looking at ways to get out of Miller's deal only 3 years later. At this point I'd be perfectly happy taking a 1st this year and a 2020 3rd.
Yeah I love Lawrence but he isn't in Miller, Mack or Donald territory. I'd put him just below that. Lawrence has dollar signs in his eyes with an average player like Flowers getting 18 mil in free agency. It's insanity.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The longer this draws out towards the draft, I would take a 2nd out of sheer desperation. We cannot allow this guy to hold the team hostage.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The longer this draws out towards the draft, I would take a 2nd out of sheer desperation. We cannot allow this guy to hold the team hostage.
For a second I'd almost rather just make him play under the franchise tag and get a 3rd round comp pick down the road. I wouldn't let teams know that you're willing to dump a player for peanuts just because he isn't happy with his contract.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
For a second I'd almost rather just make him play under the franchise tag and get a 3rd round comp pick down the road. I wouldn't let teams know that you're willing to dump a player for peanuts just because he isn't happy with his contract.
Same.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
For what it's worth, I don't think Trey Flowers is an average player. He was the Patriots best front 7 player and he's really not that far off Lawrence's level. He's not quite as explosive as a pass rusher but he's still very good, he is dangerous on the interior in nickel/dime, and very strong against the run. I figured Flowers would be somewhere around 16, although the fact that he got 18 doesn't make me think Lawrence deserves more than 20-21.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For what it's worth, I don't think Trey Flowers is an average player. He was the Patriots best front 7 player and he's really not that far off Lawrence's level. He's not quite as explosive as a pass rusher but he's still very good, he is dangerous on the interior in nickel/dime, and very strong against the run. I figured Flowers would be somewhere around 16, although the fact that he got 18 doesn't make me think Lawrence deserves more than 20-21.
I just don't agree. I think the Patriots scheme inflated his numbers a good amount. And even at that he only managed 7.5 sacks in his best season. They moved him all over the place to get really good matchups and sometimes get him coming free unblocked. Most defensive schemes won't do that for him as a DE or a OLBer. We will see but I'd be very surprised if he touches the numbers he posted in New England anywhere else. But that seems to be the story with most players when they leave the Patriots.

I know ESPN analytics are sometimes a joke. But his pass rush win rate was like 16 percent. Lawrence on the other hand has a pass rush win rate of 34% for comparison's sake. Which was tied for the best of any free agents in this class. Cam Jordan and Grady Jarrett according to ESPN had a similar number.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The way he is dug in and has stated that he will not sign the franchise tag, this could really drag out and be a serious distraction.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The way he is dug in and has stated that he will not sign the franchise tag, this could really drag out and be a serious distraction.
So suspend him or do what you have to. You can't cave for a player like that. It creates the wrong environment when dealing with future contracts. And the difference in the end is either a second or third round pick.

Now if I'm getting real value for the dude, like a first rounder I'd just take it at this point and trade for Quinn. He is a better, younger player than Dee Ford and Dee Ford got a second round pick. And I don't really care that the second is in 2020. Then give me a first round pick in 2020 for Lawrence. I'm ok with that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So suspend him or do what you have to. You can't cave for a player like that. It creates the wrong environment when dealing with future contracts. And the difference in the end is either a second or third round pick.

Now if I'm getting real value for the dude, like a first rounder I'd just take it at this point and trade for Quinn. He is a better, younger player than Dee Ford and Dee Ford got a second round pick. And I don't really care that the second is in 2020. Then give me a first round pick in 2020 for Lawrence. I'm ok with that.
Agreed, I'll take postponement of the pics, if the price is still a premium.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I can understand wanting as much as you can get in baseball, but if you are offered 20 million per year in a hard cap system where you have to share the pie to field a competitive team, then you are a fucking cunt and the team should move on without you.

Top Bottom