Broaddus: Not signing DeMarcus Lawrence shows the disappointing reality of the Cowboys' offseason

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Published13h
Ex-NFL scout: Not signing DeMarcus Lawrence shows the disappointing reality of the Cowboys' offseason

By SportsDayDFW.com Contact SportsDayDFW.com on Twitter:@SportsDayDFW

Bryan Broaddus, DallasCowboys.com writer and former NFL personnel man, joined the Shan and RJ show on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM] recently to talk about the Cowboys' offseason thus far. Here are some of the highlights:

On the disappointment of Cowboys' offseason

Broaddus: "I didn't see this myself, so I'll give my teammates some credit for this idea. The disappointment is that this is a team all about signing their own, then go sign Tank [DeMarcus Lawrence]. Go get that done.

"Let's not let this thing drag out into July and make us have to spend the entire summer dealing with this. You're talking about the shoulder injury and he's going to have to get it fixed and all these questions, but if you're a team that is committed to it that's OK.

"They've built the roster a certain way with the way of just drafting and signing their own. So the fact if you are a team that just wants to sign its own, well then go get this one done and then work from there if there are any other deals that you need to do or if you need to continue to sign your own with the money you have leftover, that's fine. But don't tell us you're a team that's all about drafting and developing and then signing and in fact when it comes to signing one of the players that we just talked about or fits all the criteria that we just talked about, that you just don't do it.

"I know it's a difficult deal to do, I mean it's not as easy as one might think. But you've also got it as 'OK, I'm willing to give you $20 million, so it's probably going to be north of that if we're going to get this deal done.'

"I just feel like it's unfortunate that we're now a team that does that, that does not really dip our toe into the free agency pool, but we like to sign our own, but we can't sign our own. I think that's the most disappointing thing."

Change QBs every 4 years?

Broaddus: "This team should absolutely change quarterbacks every four years. They should never pay a quarterback is what they should do. This is the one team where the general manager's not going to get fired.

"I would try and take the opposite approach here. I would try and keep all my position players, skill players and then try to change my quarterback. That's your most expensive thing every year. So if you want to tell me 'hey, Broaddus. I would do this with the quarterback,' I'm totally on board with you...
"They ought to be in on the Josh Rosen thing. They ought to be asking 'what do you guys want for Josh Rosen?' Then every four years flip your quarterback until maybe you find [Tom] Brady, [Drew] Brees, one of those type of guys that you might want to sign long-term and pay to."

On Earl Thomas

Broaddus: "If Baltimore was not on the deal, there's a likelihood that Earl Thomas would've been here. Dallas needed to survive one more day and they couldn't survive the one more day and Baltimore came from where they did and give them credit. They had a big day, they got [Mark] Ingram done as well...
"I did not see the Ravens as being the team. I was thinking more like the two years, $22 million kind of thing, trying to guarantee that. I was thinking this thing was going to get with him not going anywhere, that it was going to me that $10-11 million a year. The Ravens really blew everybody out of the water and good for them, they kept it very quiet and then were able to swoop in and do what they needed to do."

On Jason Hatcher's comments about Tony Romo

Broaddus: "I don't think he was wrong in his approach or the information. I think where he was wrong was the delivery. If you're going to go scorched earth, I get it. Maybe not a lot of media training there. I'm not asking him to hold back on his words, but the way it's presented I think is important to the message.
"I know Hatcher confronted me one time at Valley Ranch. He came into my office about a report that several of his teammates had told me he was a selfish player, he was a player that didn't want to play hurt, didn't want to put on bad film. These are all things that going into a contract year and all that -- and I had teammates tell me that -- and he came into my office and confronted me about it. There's ways of doing things, you talk things out or whatever you want to do. I applaud him for giving you the information, I laugh at him for the way he presented it."

p1_

DCC 4Life
"I just feel like it's unfortunate that we're now a team that does that, that does not really dip our toe into the free agency pool, but we like to sign our own, but we can't sign our own. I think that's the most disappointing thing."

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
It’s because Joan has figured out how to make money by doing nothing, while taking the “hey, we tried / aww shucks, it didn’t work out” approach to free agency. And our fans are dumb enough to buy into that garbage each and every year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Someone explain this nonsense quote to me so I can understand what the fuck he is talking about.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Help. My Jerry decoder ring is on the fritz.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Help. My Jerry decoder ring is on the fritz.
I think that's pretty easy to understand. He's saying that they would expect a full, healthy year from him. And that if that starts looking like it won't be possible, the money would start going down. So basically, he'd better get the surgery soon if he expects top dollar.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Lawrence is at a disadvantage in this and not getting the surgery isn't going to help his case. If he doesn't get it done, Jerry could just wait until June 15th and withdraw the Tag, then he can go on his marry way and risk not getting anything with any other team because he's still hurt.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The Joneses want him to sign for cheap and Tank wants Mack money. That deal ain’t getting done anytime soon.

Lawrence should get the surgery. What are the Cowboys going to do? They have 0 leverage. They’ve already tagged him.

The risk to Lawrence is getting injured during the year, so he needs to be as healthy as possible heading into TC to best counter the risk of injury from being out of shape.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The deal ain't getting done and he will be walking at the end of the season. Thats my guess.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I dont see why he hasnt done the surgery already. He played through the injury as well.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
20-21 is the most I'd be willing to give him, and in all honesty he should be happy to take that as it would make him a top 5 highest paid defensive player in the league, maybe top 3. If he wants to sit here and put the screws to us in a quest to get a higher AAV than Mack/Donald (which he doesn't deserve) then start looking to move him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If we could somehow trade him for a 1st and 2nd, I'd be all over that. Or, if the first is high enough, even a 1st and 3rd.

Just for context, lets say we get picks around the middle of the rounds. Imagine a first 4 rounds of something like this...

1st Montez Sweat
2nd Deebo Samuel
2nd Juan Thornhill
3rd Khalen Saunders
4th Jace Sternberger
4th Daylon Mack

Basically, trading Lawrence for Sweat, Samuel, and cap space. Fantasy, I know. But I'd be all over that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'll also say that if the salary cap wasn't a consideration I couldn't care less if Jerry had to pay Lawrence 50 a year. But obviously you have to take into consideration the ramifications of building the rest of the team, and that's why I say if Lawrence wants to sit here and try to screw us by demanding 23+, then he can go. This assumes that we're offering about 20 in AAV.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If we could somehow trade him for a 1st and 2nd, I'd be all over that. Or, if the first is high enough, even a 1st and 3rd.

Just for context, lets say we get picks around the middle of the rounds. Imagine a first 4 rounds of something like this...

1st Montez Sweat
2nd Deebo Samuel
2nd Juan Thornhill
3rd Khalen Saunders
4th Jace Sternberger
4th Daylon Mack

Basically, trading Lawrence for Sweat, Samuel, and cap space. Fantasy, I know. But I'd be all over that.
Yep, I would jump all over that, but anything less, I just leave the tag on and roll with whatever happens.

p1_

DCC 4Life
no one is gonna give a 1st and a 2nd for Lawrence.

Top Bottom