Sturm: Why all is quiet on Cowboys front?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Actually this makes sense. We've drafted very well for about 8-9 years now, and that's great. But retaining the quality players is so expensive you can't realistically keep them all. Guess that's why some have said that in today's league you have a small window to win championships. But elite organizations know how to balance the cap with free agency. Dallas simply doesn't do that. Something else the top teams have is future HOF QB's.
And for all our great draft moves, we still can't get past the divisional round.
Thats the part that no one talks about. Its great to draft well, but in todays NFL you still need some proven difference makers via FA to get deep into the playoffs or win a SB, especially if you don't have a Tom Brady or Rothlisberger on your roster.Which we don't, and haven't had since Aikman.

But we do have a GM that walks down dirt roads and looks at old houses talking to himself and decides if its a good idea to spend money...or not...or whatever the fuck he does. So ya know, theres that.

Last edited:

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
And just think, when McClay takes a GM job somewhere else we're right back to 2009 drafts.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If McClay wanted to take a GM job elsewhere he would've done so by now. As best as I can recall I don't think he's even taken interview requests so I don't think he's even close to bolting, and even if he does, he's not the one making sole decisions. He's kind of an embodiment of the emphasis Stephen has put on listening to the scouts/personnel guys but guys like Lionel Vital have made a significant difference as well.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Out of curiosity what do you think are huge needs?

Personally I think pass rush is our biggest need, but it's only huge if we don't sign Lawrence.
Safety and difference-making DT -- two things we haven't had around these parts in ages.

You gotta go back to pre-fat Roy Williams and Jay F'ng Ratliff.

That's sad.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I hate this narrative that if the darn salary cap wasn't there, Jerry would spend, spend, spend. Maybe earlier in his career. Not now.

As far as actual spending on player salaries, Dallas is near the bottom of the league.

25th from 2013 to 2016
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...-eagles-arent/

30th in 2018
https://overthecap.com/2018-spending-on-nfl-rosters/

They resign their own to gimmicky contracts, constantly restructure and push dead money around. Their cap issues are constantly self inflicted.

They have no desire to spend. They are a corporation that has figured out how to maximize profits. Winning? Sure, that'd be nice, but not at the expense of profits.
The reason they’re near the bottom is because they’ve got so many starters on rookie contracts.

They were 30th in salary and still made the playoffs to the divisional round.

That includes their QB, #1WR, All Pro RB, high performing CB (at least in coverage), and elite pass rusher.

No one else has that combination of critical positions on rookie deals, not even the Rams.

Even with all the cap space in the world we probably can’t afford to pay those five.

So the Hell with free agents.

Top Bottom