Sturm: Why all is quiet on Cowboys front?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1][/h]

By Bob Sturm 3h ago

40​ days​ since Super Bowl​ 53 in Atlanta, 18 days​ since the NHL Trade Deadline, 14 Days until Rangers​​ Opening Day, and just two days before the NCAA Bracket is submitted…

We often refer to patterns that have been made clear through years and year of following the Dallas Cowboys. These trends help us prepare for what might lie ahead.

That seems appropriate this week, after hearing from many of you about your percolating frustrations that the Cowboys are never particularly active in free agency anymore.

Owner Jerry Jones once had a reputation for signing major free agents. Deion Sanders was a signature deal amidst the comedy of a Pizza Hut commercial when the Cowboys and Jerry Jones vowed to moneywhip their way to continued NFL dominance by locking down the NFL’s best corner to a whopping seven-year, $35 million deal back in 1995.

Jerry reflected on that during one of his many radio shows a few years back. He said that expenditure caused him some high-level anxiety:

“I flew all the way back to my home, where I was really raised, and walked down the street and looked at an old telephone pole where I’d carved something on it when I was a kid and walked around the old houses. And then walked back … down the street, went up to my old house, looked at it just to say, have you completely lost your bearing on what’s happening here financially?” Jones said. “Boy, I got back in the car, headed back out to the airport, came on back, and I said, ‘Look, that was then, this is now. Go for it.”

Times have changed. As has the financial structure of the NFL, with a very hard and unforgiving salary cap. I have often said the only thing that keeps the Cowboys from the sort of dominant run Real Madrid or Manchester United have enjoyed in the world of soccer is simply the structure the NFL desires for parity. There is no question that world soccer offers an opportunity for the richest teams to dominate via financial muscle and the endless resources to not only buy the best players but also to write off poor purchases with a billionaire’s shrug.

That certainly is not an option in the NFL, for better or worse. This league allows powers to emerge from literally any population base and ownership group as long as they can work under the balanced structure of equality. The league is set up to avoid decade-long dominance (or two-decade dominance, New England) and doesn’t seem to mind a world where power shifts at around the same interval as four-year presidential terms or Olympiads. The NFL remains hugely popular, so this does not appear to be a mistake. But the Dallas Cowboys’ endless reserves of cash really don’t seem to matter.

Forbes told us in 2018 that the Cowboys’ franchise value is easily the highest of any team in the world. The franchise was estimated to be worth $5 billion and enjoyed an annual revenue total of $864 million with an operating income of $365 million. The fixed player costs in a salary cap world total $190 million.

I am no financial wizard, but if revenues more than quadruple personnel costs, the Cowboys are the opposite of short on cash. The rules, however, dictate they cannot spend more than Buffalo or Green Bay. Do you know who the busiest teams are every year when the transfer windows open in Europe? The teams with the deepest pockets. If the Dallas Cowboys were a soccer club, they would run the world with the best players at every position. Is Khalil Mack unhappy? Come to Dallas. Odell Beckham and Antonio Brown? Cowboys to be. Sean Payton wants a bigger stage? There’s one in Dallas. And yes, they would have found a price for Aaron Rodgers that Green Bay couldn’t refuse years ago. But it doesn’t work that way. So what should they do with all of this money?

Buy a yacht that costs $250m, silly.

So here we are at the end of the opening week of free agency. The Cowboys have secured three of their own free agents on small deals with Tavon Austin, Cam Fleming, and Jamize Olawale all back in the fold.

Additionally, they signed an interesting young defensive tackle in Christian Covington away from Houston on a surprisingly cheap one-year, $1.6 million deal. None of these moves have produced even a medium-sized wave in the NFL silly season.

If you have been following the Cowboys over the last several seasons, though, you know free agency is not their jam by any stretch of the imagination. Especially in March when prices have not substantially dropped.

In 2018, for instance, they made a number of tiny deals in the month of March (signifying the opening of the free agency window). A year later we are still trying to find the significant effects:
3/21/18Cowboys• Joe Thomassigned free agent to a 2-year, $3.6M contract through 2019
3/22/18Cowboys• Deonte Thompsonsigned unrestricted free agent to a 1-year, $1.8M contract
3/23/18Cowboys• Allen Hurnssigned free agent to a 2-year, $12M contract through 2019
3/26/18Cowboys• Cameron Flemingsigned unrestricted free agent to a 1-year, $2.5M contract
3/26/18Cowboys• Marcus Martinsigned unrestricted free agent to a 1-year, $880K contract
DATE TEAM PLAYER TERMS

(information courtesy prosportstransactions.com)

There was nothing wrong with these signings, of course. A few of them played decent roles with the team last year. As you can see, though, they didn’t really rock the NFL world.

How about March 2017?
3/10/17Cowboys• Nolan Carrollsigned unrestricted free agent to a 3-year, $10M contract through 2019
3/10/17Cowboys• Stephen Paeasigned unrestricted free agent to a 1-year, $2M contract
3/14/17Cowboys• Damontre Mooresigned unrestricted free agent to a 2-year, $1.65M contract through 2018
3/24/17Cowboys• Byron Bellsigned unrestricted free agent to a 1-year, $2M contract
DATE TEAM PLAYER TERMS

Nope.

March 2016?
3/10/16Cowboys• Cedric Thorntonsigned unrestricted free agent to a 4-year contract
3/22/16Cowboys• Alfred Morrissigned unrestricted free agent to a 2-year contract through 2017
3/22/16Cowboys• Benson Mayowasigned restricted free agent to a 3-year contract through 2018 (Raiders declined to match offer sheet)
3/29/16Cowboys• Joe Looneysigned unrestricted free agent to a 2-year contract through 2017
DATE TEAM PLAYER TERMS

We shall not soon forget the four-year Cedric Thornton deal that lasted 13 games and the three-year offer sheet theft of Benson Mayowa.

Perhaps I could interest you in March 2015’s big free agency swoop?
3/13/15Cowboys• Darren McFaddensigned unrestricted free agent to a 2-year contract
3/15/15Cowboys• Andrew Gachkarsigned unrestricted free agent to a 2-year contract
3/18/15Cowboys• Greg Hardysigned unrestricted free agent to a 1-year contract
DATE TEAM PLAYER TERMS

That one-year, $13m deal with Greg Hardy at least got a Bob Costas interview and some unwanted publicity for the organization.

Let’s walk back another year. March 2014:
3/12/14Cowboys• Jeremy Minceysigned unrestricted free agent to a 2-year contract through 2015
3/12/14Cowboys• Terrell McClainsigned unrestricted free agent to a 3-year contract through 2016
3/17/14Cowboys• Brandon Weedensigned free agent to a 2-year contract through 2015
3/18/14Cowboys• Henry Meltonsigned unrestricted free agent to a 1-year contract with 3 option years
DATE TEAM PLAYER TERMS

Here we find the Henry Melton offseason. I admit I wanted the Henry Melton experience to really rock the foundation around here; I thought he might be the true 3-technique we had been dreaming of. Aside from 15 tackles in 16 games, it also gave us a bit of a disturbance in a Grapevine night spot. But the Melton run did not last a second season.

March 2013?
3/26/13Cowboys• Justin Durantsigned unrestricted free agent to a 2-year contract through 2014
DATE TEAM PLAYER TERMS

March 2012?
3/14/12Cowboys• Brandon Carrsigned unrestricted free agent to a 5-year contract through 2016
3/14/12Cowboys• Kyle Ortonsigned unrestricted free agent to a 3-year contract through 2014
3/14/12Cowboys• Lawrence Vickerssigned unrestricted free agent to a 2-year contract through 2013
3/14/12Cowboys• Mackenzy Bernadeausigned unrestricted free agent to a 4-year contract through 2015
3/15/12Cowboys• Brodney Poolsigned unrestricted free agent to a 1-year contract
3/15/12Cowboys• Dan Connor (a)signed unrestricted free agent to a 2-year contract through 2013
3/16/12Cowboys• Nate Livingssigned unrestricted free agent to a 5-year contract through 2016
DATE TEAM PLAYER TERMS

This would certainly qualify as the last big-ticket free agent order. The Cowboys’ addition of young Brandon Carr from Kansas City for a princely sum of $50 million over five years guaranteed him $26.5 million. He would play all five years in Dallas under that deal, although the final year included a bit of a pay cut.

I have nothing to report from March of 2011 and 2010. But we have a couple small traces in March of 2009:
3/6/09Cowboys• Igor Olshanskysigned unrestricted free agent to a 4-year contract/$18m
3/10/09Cowboys• Gerald Sensabaughsigned unrestricted free agent to a 1-year contract/$1.75
DATE TEAM PLAYER TERMS

There you go. That’s a full decade of free agency where we see the Cowboys’ major purchases limited to Brandon Carr in 2012 and Greg Hardy in 2015.

In fairness, it wasn’t always this way.

In 2005, the Cowboys snagged Marco Rivera from Green Bay on a five-year, $20 million deal.

In 2006, they rocked the NFL by signing Terrell Owens to a three-year, $25 million deal (despite Bill Parcells’ protests).

In 2007, they awarded Leonard Davis a huge seven-year, $49 million contract.

Because of big deals for their own players — Tony Romo, Jason Witten, DeMarcus Ware, etc — the Cowboys began to place a premium on keeping their group together, willingly dealing with cap issues and kicking the can of expenditures down the road to make it all fit.

They were able to keep the band together. But when a team spends all of its resources internally, its only way to improve is through the draft. The conveyor belt would keep turning, and they would often put together some decent enough rosters.

But two things have eluded them ever since. Free agency participation to find those final big pieces (which often are a mirage) and postseason success. Whether these two items are tied together so closely is open for debate, of course. But if you cover this team for a living, you seldom have big news in March like so many other franchises seem to get every year.

They still have a few weeks left, but the clock is ticking.

junk

Not So New Member
I hate this narrative that if the darn salary cap wasn't there, Jerry would spend, spend, spend. Maybe earlier in his career. Not now.

As far as actual spending on player salaries, Dallas is near the bottom of the league.

25th from 2013 to 2016
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...-eagles-arent/

30th in 2018
https://overthecap.com/2018-spending-on-nfl-rosters/

They resign their own to gimmicky contracts, constantly restructure and push dead money around. Their cap issues are constantly self inflicted.

They have no desire to spend. They are a corporation that has figured out how to maximize profits. Winning? Sure, that'd be nice, but not at the expense of profits.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
These fucks really do operate on their vacation schedule.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I think there should be a soft cap where you can spend whatever you want on players that you drafted or signed as a FA out of college.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Lol. It’s just the coaching, guys.

Garrett sucks but look at that All Star list of Free Agents that were supposed to get us over the hump. What a joke.

Jones satisfied his ego and checked the “I’m a great GM” block by making a splash with Cooper. He’s too busy patting himself on the back to notice there are other huge needs on this team.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Lol. It’s just the coaching, guys.

Garrett sucks but look at that All Star list of Free Agents that were supposed to get us over the hump. What a joke.

Jones satisfied his ego and checked the “I’m a great GM” block by making a splash with Cooper. He’s too busy patting himself on the back to notice there are other huge needs on this team.
Out of curiosity what do you think are huge needs?

Personally I think pass rush is our biggest need, but it's only huge if we don't sign Lawrence.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas has built through the draft better than almost all other teams, so big money for free agent starters make no sense in the face of the big deals for Smith, Fred, Lawrence, Martin, Dak, Lee, and Zeke we have to accommodate at some point. And you know Awuzie, Woods, Jaylon and LVE are right around the corner and a decision has to be made on Jones well before that.

Our big external acquisition was Cooper, and that’s going to be a bank breaker on top of Dak’s.

We can’t afford another big contract, especially an overpriced one. The Crawford deal continues to suck, but even at 10 mil it’s almost looking reasonable now compared with what FA’s are getting.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

UncleMilti

Staff member
Out of curiosity what do you think are huge needs?

Personally I think pass rush is our biggest need, but it's only huge if we don't sign Lawrence.
Safety, a stud DT, another dependable playmaker at DE opposite Lawrence, a modern day TE, and a Sproles type RB to interchange with Zeke.

Some of these guys were available via FA the last few seasons, but we stood pat and did nothing.

Can a better coach possibly get this team as constructed, over the hump? Sure I don't doubt it. Given Jerrys track record on coaches, I don't see the next Parcells walking in there anytime soon. So, any chance of going to a SB is going to come thru the talent on the field.

The 2018 Cowboys had a punchers chance of getting to the SB, but as we all saw the DL shit the bed when we needed them most. The bargain players tend to be the ones who don't show up when the stakes are the highest, or at least it seems that way with the Cowboys.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Dallas has built through the draft better than almost all other teams, so big money for free agent starters make no sense in the face of the big deals for Smith, Fred, Lawrence, Martin, Dak, Lee, and Zeke we have to accommodate at some point. And you know Awuzie, Woods, Jaylon and LVE are right around the corner and a decision has to be made on Jones well before that.

Our big external acquisition was Cooper, and that’s going to be a bank breaker on top of Dak’s.

We can’t afford another big contract, especially an overpriced one. The Crawford deal continues to suck, but even at 10 mil it’s almost looking reasonable now compared with what FA’s are getting.
Yet other teams seem to sign big FA's, and keep their core players they drafted. Dallas manipulated the cap for years, as does every other team in the NFL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yet other teams seem to sign big FA's, and keep their core players they drafted. Dallas manipulated the cap for years, as does every other team in the NFL.
Yeah we have such different approach to the cap these days. I think some of it is sort of recovering from the Romo years. The other is just knowing they have a talented young team and know you can only have so many "franchise" type contracts on the roster. Either way we should all just come to expect this strategy because the Jones's clearly aren't interested in ever doing anything at the start of free agency. I'm sure its just the Cowboys trying to replicate the Patriots without Tom Brady or a hall of fame head coach.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I hate this narrative that if the darn salary cap wasn't there, Jerry would spend, spend, spend. Maybe earlier in his career. Not now.

As far as actual spending on player salaries, Dallas is near the bottom of the league.

25th from 2013 to 2016
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...-eagles-arent/

30th in 2018
https://overthecap.com/2018-spending-on-nfl-rosters/

They resign their own to gimmicky contracts, constantly restructure and push dead money around. Their cap issues are constantly self inflicted.

They have no desire to spend. They are a corporation that has figured out how to maximize profits. Winning? Sure, that'd be nice, but not at the expense of profits.
junk, I'm gonna need you to post more, seriously.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Yeah we have such different approach to the cap these days. I think some of it is sort of recovering from the Romo years. The other is just knowing they have a talented young team and know you can only have so many "franchise" type contracts on the roster. Either way we should all just come to expect this strategy because the Jones's clearly aren't interested in ever doing anything at the start of free agency. I'm sure its just the Cowboys trying to replicate the Patriots without Tom Brady or a hall of fame head coach.
Junk outlined it best-the cap problems that Dallas has or has had are directly self inflicted because of bad contracts and hanging on to players well past their prime and/or productive years.

They've gone from one end end of the spectrum of spending big money for FAs to being paralyzed, sitting on the sidelines and signing has beens or cast-offs to bean counter contracts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Junk outlined it best-the cap problems that Dallas has or has had are directly self inflicted because of bad contracts and hanging on to players well past their prime and/or productive years.

They've gone from one end end of the spectrum of spending big money for FAs to being paralyzed, sitting on the sidelines and signing has beens or cast-offs to bean counter contracts.
Oh I totally agree. I also think we waste our time throwing mediocre money at shitty players. We just suck at free agency period.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yet other teams seem to sign big FA's, and keep their core players they drafted.

Who are you thinking of when you say this? It helps to be kinda specific.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Who are you thinking of when you say this? It helps to be kinda specific.
Picked up the Lindy's Draft Guide yesterday and in the capsules, they have a 5-year draft grade for each team.

The As were Dallas and the Rams. That's it.

The Rams have been able to field a young team (Goff, Gurley, Kupp, Donald etc.) and still take FA/trade risks.

The majority of teams got C's on their grade and have to use FA.

I guess if you want to be funny about it, Dallas has drafted too well and has to pay guys.

There is a downside to having most of your core on second contracts though when this is basically like a college program with a four-year shelf life.

But the Patriots and Ravens are two other philosophies. The Patriots don't draft well. But they know how to use FA and trades to get the veterans they want to fill their system. The Ravens draft well and then use veterans to supplement.

Both use FA in the sense to get comp picks for their FAs that leave and that allows more swing and miss opportunities.

It could be said Dallas is trying something new. And it includes paying a QB.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Safety, a stud DT, another dependable playmaker at DE opposite Lawrence, a modern day TE, and a Sproles type RB to interchange with Zeke.

Some of these guys were available via FA the last few seasons, but we stood pat and did nothing.

Can a better coach possibly get this team as constructed, over the hump? Sure I don't doubt it. Given Jerrys track record on coaches, I don't see the next Parcells walking in there anytime soon. So, any chance of going to a SB is going to come thru the talent on the field.

The 2018 Cowboys had a punchers chance of getting to the SB, but as we all saw the DL shit the bed when we needed them most. The bargain players tend to be the ones who don't show up when the stakes are the highest, or at least it seems that way with the Cowboys.
Spot on.

Not even entirely sure that Sean Payton puts the team over the hump. Are we really more talented than the Saints? I don't think so.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Picked up the Lindy's Draft Guide yesterday and in the capsules, they have a 5-year draft grade for each team.

The As were Dallas and the Rams. That's it.

The Rams have been able to field a young team (Goff, Gurley, Kupp, Donald etc.) and still take FA/trade risks.

The majority of teams got C's on their grade and have to use FA.

I guess if you want to be funny about it, Dallas has drafted too well and has to pay guys.

There is a downside to having most of your core on second contracts though when this is basically like a college program with a four-year shelf life.

But the Patriots and Ravens are two other philosophies. The Patriots don't draft well. But they know how to use FA and trades to get the veterans they want to fill their system. The Ravens draft well and then use veterans to supplement.

Both use FA in the sense to get comp picks for their FAs that leave and that allows more swing and miss opportunities.

It could be said Dallas is trying something new. And it includes paying a QB.
Actually this makes sense. We've drafted very well for about 8-9 years now, and that's great. But retaining the quality players is so expensive you can't realistically keep them all. Guess that's why some have said that in today's league you have a small window to win championships. But elite organizations know how to balance the cap with free agency. Dallas simply doesn't do that. Something else the top teams have is future HOF QB's.
And for all our great draft moves, we still can't get past the divisional round.

Top Bottom