Earl Thomas is now a Raven

p1_

DCC 4Life
Earl Thomas Reportedly Joining Ravens

 by Rob Phillips , Nick Eatman & David Helman

FRISCO, Texas – Free agent safety Earl Thomas reportedly has found a new home – and it’s not the Cowboys.

Thomas has agreed to a four-year deal with the Baltimore Ravens worth $55 million, including more than $30 million guaranteed, according to NFL.com and reports. Deals can become official at 3 p.m. Central time when the NFL’s new league year begins.

Wednesday’s reports end speculation, once and for all, that Thomas might have joined his home-state team. The Thomas-to-Dallas rumors have swirled for more than a year outside the building. But Thomas, a six-time Pro Bowler, finished the final year of his Seattle contract in 2018 without securing an extension from the Seahawks. A week after recording two interceptions in a Week 3 win over Dallas, he broke his leg against Arizona and missed the rest of the season, waiting for his chance to become a free agent.

The Cowboys have identified safety depth as a need this offseason, but there was no indication that they were ever a strong free-agent suitor for Thomas – particularly at the nearly $14 million per year salary he’s expected to get from Baltimore.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Is Eric Berry just a shell of his former self?

KC just released him.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I probably would have been okay with the contract even though it's more guaranteed money I would have been committed to. But, Bmore gave themselves some room by trading Flacco, somewhere in the double digits when it comes to cap space.

I don't know how Berry is these days but I'm pretty sure he's spent more time on IR than ET.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Is Eric Berry just a shell of his former self?

KC just released him.
I would imagine his release was salary cap related. And, yes, I knock on that door.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Free Agent S Adrian Phillips

Adrian Phillips isn't the safety a lot of Cowboys Nation was hoping for, but he could be the safety the Dallas Cowboys need. He isn't one of the bigger names amongst the free agent safeties this year, but he is one of the more versatile. With the Los Angeles Chargers he was a Swiss Army knife if you will and played a variety of different roles for them. He played strong safety, free safety, dime linebacker, and nickel linebacker. And that's not even mentioning he's also a Texas native (Terrell, Texas) and played at the University of Texas.

Phillips is a cost-effective versatile safety who could come in and be an immediate upgrade over Jeff Heath. He's already played in a similar defensive scheme under Gus Bradley with the Chargers and would give the Cowboys two interchangeable safeties alongside Xavier Woods. Last year he played under a one-year, $1.5 million deal and probably wouldn't command much more this season considering how plush the safety market is. I think that is the definition of a bargain deal, especially considering he won't be 27 years old until March 28.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
does this not scream bargain safety?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Free Agent S Adrian Phillips

Adrian Phillips isn't the safety a lot of Cowboys Nation was hoping for, but he could be the safety the Dallas Cowboys need. He isn't one of the bigger names amongst the free agent safeties this year, but he is one of the more versatile. With the Los Angeles Chargers he was a Swiss Army knife if you will and played a variety of different roles for them. He played strong safety, free safety, dime linebacker, and nickel linebacker. And that's not even mentioning he's also a Texas native (Terrell, Texas) and played at the University of Texas.

Phillips is a cost-effective versatile safety who could come in and be an immediate upgrade over Jeff Heath. He's already played in a similar defensive scheme under Gus Bradley with the Chargers and would give the Cowboys two interchangeable safeties alongside Xavier Woods. Last year he played under a one-year, $1.5 million deal and probably wouldn't command much more this season considering how plush the safety market is. I think that is the definition of a bargain deal, especially considering he won't be 27 years old until March 28.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
does this not scream bargain safety?
INTERCHANGEABLE SAFETIES!!!!

:towel:towel:towel

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'd kick the tires on Phillips, at least you can be pretty sure he won't break the bank.

Top Bottom