Former Dallas Cowboy Jason Hatcher Blasts Tony Romo: I Don't Respect Him

p1_

DCC 4Life
Former Cowboy Jason Hatcher Blasts Tony Romo's Leadership; Says Jason Garrett Sabotaged Wade Phillips

Tony Romo's former teammate did not hold back in his criticism of him and saying Dak Prescott will win more than Romo.

DALLAS (105.3 The Fan) - Former Dallas Cowboys defensive lineman Jason Hatcher joined Ben and Skin in studio for an hour Tuesday, and he had a lot to say about his time in Dallas.

Hatcher discussed a wide range of topics, but one of the subjects that caught our attention was his opinion of Tony Romo during his time with the Cowboys, especially in 2016 when he broke a bone in his back and Prescott took over his job. Hatcher criticized Romo's leadership and said he would take Prescott over the CBS broadcaster any day.

"Romo didn't have the it factor to make people around him better. I think when I was there he thought he was bigger than the team. It was like Romo and then the team. Like nobody in the locker room is really going to respect you like that. I really don't respect him as a player based on what he did to the team where a lot of people didn't see.

"He was a great player and got all the numbers and stuff but I'll take Dak over Romo any day because Dak has the ability to make people around him better. You'll run through a wall for Dak but Romo, hell no."

When asked to clarify his remark about making people better, Hatcher went on to criticize Romo even more.

"Romo was feeling like he was a Brett Favre and I'm like 'dude, you ain't do nothing. What have you done? You got your own space that you leave ... don't come in the locker room an interact with your teammates, but you call yourself a leader? Nah, partner. It don't work like that.'

"He's got great numbers but he's had so many opportunities. Like if I was a GM, Romo do not have the ability to make people around him want to play for him."

Another topic that captured our attention was when Hatcher talked about the 2010 season, the year Wade Phillips was fired and Jason Garrett became interim head coach.

That season, the Cowboys were 1-7 when owner Jerry Jones elected to move on from Phillips and promote Garrett. After the promotion, Garrett led the Cowboys to a 5-3 record and has been the team's head coach ever since.

Hatcher was asked about what happened around the time the Cowboys fired Phillips and if the team quit on him?

"Let me tell you something. I'm going to tell you the truth. I saw Jason Garrett sabotage this man."

When asked if Hatcher believed that he said, "absolutely."

"We ran three plays three freakin plays (before Wade was fired). I don't care what the media say. We was flying around. We was out of pads in week 7 (in 2009). We was beating people's heads in. Now we go into camp cupcake (in 2010) and do what Wade don't want to do. We get in pads, we beat each other down. We tired, we not fresh. And then you go and call three or four plays (Garrett on offense) till this man gets fired."

Hatcher was then asked how guys that backed Phillips looked like they quit on the field before he was fired?

"When you know the truth and what's going on. You're like why the hell are we running three plays on offense? And then, to know the truth after Wade get fired you open up the playbook and we start scoring points?"

Hatcher also touched on David Irving, an incident between Jay Ratliff and Jerry Jones, and much more.

You need to listen to this, lots of really good insight:

https://omny.fm/shows/ben-skin/jason-hatcher

Last edited:

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Wow! What he said about Romo is right in line with what Darren Woodson said. Numbers, stats, but no leadership.
​​​​​​And with his comments on Garrett, this is a very ballsy statement.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Wow! What he said about Romo is right in line with what Darren Woodson said. Numbers, stats, but no leadership.
​​​​​​And with his comments on Garrett, this is a very ballsy statement.
The limited plays until Wade got fired has been said by some players and media guys since and I 100% believe it

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Wow this audio is really a good listen. Interesting to understand the internal politics of the team.

Last edited:
  • Props
Reactions: p1_

lostxn

DCC 4Life
The limited plays until Wade got fired has been said by some players and media guys since and I 100% believe it
They scored 7, 20, 27, 27. 21. 35. 17 and 7 points in the Wade games. 3 stinkers, but scored plenty in the other 5. So it's probably an exaggeration.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
They scored 7, 20, 27, 27. 21. 35. 17 and 7 points in the Wade games. 3 stinkers, but scored plenty in the other 5. So it's probably an exaggeration.
The offense was also turning over the ball multiple times a game putting the d on it's heels. Now the only 3 plays may be exaggerated but garrett absolutely sandbagged Wade

lostxn

DCC 4Life
OK, which Atlanta game was he talking about?

My theory, 2012 week 9. Witten got 7 catches to pass Irvin for most all time. Cowboys lose. I don't remember the game at all...

lostxn

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Former Cowboys Claim Jason Garrett Sabotaged Wade Phillips; Tricked Everyone[/h]

Former Dallas Cowboys wide receivers Patrick Crayton and Jesse Holley revealed possible treachery done by current Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett in a recent radio interview. The two former players shared their insights about the dysfunctional relationship between Garrett and his predecessor, Wade Phillips on 105.3 The Fan’sBen and Skin Show. And they claimed Garrett manipulated his way into coaching America’s Team four years ago.

In the interview, Holley described a situation where it appears that Garrett, then offensive coordinator for Dallas. allegedly tanked part of the 2010 NFL season in order to get Phillips fired as head coach of the Cowboys:
“When we came out of the preseason and we began the season…we looked around the room. We’re saying: ‘why are we still running the stuff that we were running in preseason in week one?’ And it continued throughout the season. And you can look at the offensive production. There were times I’d be standing on the sidelines and the defenders would be literally calling out our routes. And it wasn’t like they were guessing. There were times when the DB’s would literally back-off and go to where we would be going.”​
That season, the Cowboys started the year 1-7. In that same span, the offense averaged 20.1 points per game. After Garrett took over as head coach in Week 10, the Dallas offense averaged 29.1 points per game and finished the season going 5-3. Holley went on to explain that Garrett handed out new offensive playbooks in a team meeting right after it was announced Phillips was fired.
“Literally, we looked around the room asking: ‘What is this?…we had whole new plays. We were going downfield. We were taking more chances…we were like ‘whoa’, where was this?..It was different, it was more explosive. The things that we wanted to do all year, we got a chance to do…The next game we scored like 40 points.”​
The interview and discussion was sparked by a tweet sent out by Phillips late last week:
“Jason Garrett is tied with Wade Phillips for 56 games as the @dallascowboys head coach. Phillips: 34 – 22; Garrett: 29 -27. #suprisesMe”​
Phillips followed that tweet up three hours later with a quick explanation:
“My surprise was that Jason and I had coached the same number of games. Not the record – time passes quickly -I wish Jason & Cowboys well”​
Both players were actually happy that Phillips had finally taken a jab at Garrett, after the former Cowboys head coach had to endure the humiliation of being fired in front of his own son. Crayton believed the tweet was also a shot at Cowboys owner, Jerry Jones. And that Phillips’ firing was a mistake on Jones’ part.

Both players also described an awkward separation between the Cowboys offense, led by Garrett, and a defense led by Phillips. They stressed how utterly divided they were in what they did for the team. Even so far to say Garrett reported directly to Jerry Jones, and not Phillips, at times. Crayton also described an incident where Phillips ordered the players to be released from practice and Garrett override him. He said the incident made Garrett visibly upset and he turned as ‘red as the hair on his head’. Crayton went on to claim Garrett purposely divided the team while he was offensive coordinator under Phillips.

When asked if he believed Garrett held back his offense that season, Crayton replied:
“He tricked the hell out of everybody.”​
Listen to the entire provocative interview here. Special thanks goes out to our friend DCFanatic for posting this.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I wasn't a huge Wade fan but this is plausible to me.

I seem to remember some people here thinking the same thing and while one player saying something is a rumor, multiple players with nothing to gain after the fact adds fuel to the fire. I also still believe that Jerrah anointed the RHG as a future HC when he was still playing backup QB too. He's another in a long line of (Largely) player coddling coaches.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Newsflash. Team mouthpiece sends out Tweet to deflect.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And, you know, maybe the head coach should have some say in what plays his offensive coordinator is selecting. Hard to be submarined if you aren't at fault. Wouldn't an in-touch head coach have noticed this? Wouldn't he have ordered Garrett to do something differently? Wouldn't he have gone to Jones demanding Garrett be fired if Garrett was tanking him? And if Jones said no, then why wouldn't Wade have quit on the spot? What, he was gonna let himself be made into the scapegoat? Why would he do that? It would surely effect his future marketability if he took the fall, and at that point, if he's being set up, he has to know he's out as head coach anyway. There is no other reasonable alternative but to force a change or resign in protest.

Neither of those things happened. Because this version of events, like the version that casts Romo as a shitty teammate, is untrue. No doubt there was a contingency of players on the team who were anti Romo, anti Witten, and anti Garrett (as Romo, Witten, and Garrett are clearly all BFFs). Owens was one of them. Crayton was one of them. Finding out that Hatcher was one of them is not surprising, as the son of a bitch bolted for our arch-enemy Washington as soon as he had a career year. Every time a player does that, you know there is bad blood of some kind. Like Murray was pissed at us so he signed in Philly. Like Bryant was telling everyone he wanted to sign in the NFC East. Etc.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Funny I hear the same complaints by Cowboys players about the offense now.
Yeah, but there's a difference between the offense simply being stale and unimaginative, and deliberately running the same 3 plays in order to tank the head coach.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, but there's a difference between the offense simply being stale and unimaginative, and deliberately running the same 3 plays in order to tank the head coach.
Sure but the complaints of our offense being predictable and that defenses know what we are running is something we have heard from multiple recent players. We still have WRs running only like 3 different routes. What I'm suggesting is maybe that's just Garrett or what Garrett is comfortable with when he can win doing it.

Last edited:

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Sure but the complaints of our offense being predicrable and that defenses know what we are running is something we have heard from multiple recent players. We still have WRs running only like 3 different routes.
There have been players from other teams that Dallas has played that said basically the same thing.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Sure but the complaints of our offense being predicrable and that defenses know what we are running is something we have heard from multiple recent players. We still have WRs running only like 3 different routes. What I'm suggesting is maybe that's just Garrett or what Garrett is comfortable with when he can win doing it.
Exactly, I think I was suggesting the same thing.

Unoriginality may be a hallmark, but I don't know that it was deliberate in an effort to tank. Oh, so we passed out new playbooks after Phillips left? Well how revolutionary could these new playbooks be if Garrett has continued to be stale and unimaginative, as everyone says? Maybe the new coach changes things up when the old coach gets fired because he has ideas that simply weren't shared by the old coach. This is much ado about nothing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Exactly, I think I was suggesting the same thing.

Unoriginality may be a hallmark, but I don't know that it was deliberate in an effort to tank. Oh, so we passed out new playbooks after Phillips left? Well how revolutionary could these new playbooks be if Garrett has continued to be stale and unimaginative, as everyone says? Maybe the new coach changes things up when the old coach gets fired because he has ideas that simply weren't shared by the old coach. This is much ado about nothing.
Funny how Hatcher validates a lot of things about the culture and Garrett we have all talked about for years and yet you say much ado about nothing because it puts Garrett in a bad light.

Shocking.

Top Bottom