Witten back with the Cowboys...

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
He wants one last shot at a ring... so he'll take Rico's spot, Swaim should walk, we'll draft a TE to compete with Jarwin and Shultz. If Witten can help with our "goal-to-go" struggles (blocking or catching), all the better.
You really believe they're still going to draft a TE who won't see the field now?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I dunno about you people, but I swear, I keep thinking this is just my imagination and this shit isn't real.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Watch Witten get injured in spring training and retire again after we ignore TE in the draft :lol

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I wouldn’t get too worked up with the Witten move. I think the long term plan is to have him back with the organization and bring him along to became full time coaching.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Jason Witten shocks Cowboys fans for second consecutive offseason, leaving ESPN and returning to the NFL[/h]

By Calvin Watkins Feb 28, 2019

INDIANAPOLIS— It’s so hard to leave. The celebrity status and money that comes from playing in the NFL is one intoxicating drug.

For years, former players have had trouble adjusting to life away from the game. Whether it was missing the guys in the locker room, struggling financially and emotionally, dealing with physical problems related to the game or an array of other factors, the effects of leaving the game run deep.

Jason Witten was going to be different.

He retired following the 2017 season at 35, which is old in NFL years, but young in the eyes of people who don’t use their bodies as high-speed bumper cars. He played 15 years, never missing a game in the last 14. He played once with an out-of-date helmet he called “Betsy,” donning it until the equipment staff finally got it away from him. He didn’t miss the start of the 2012 regular season despite suffering a lacerated spleen in training camp. He played on sprained knees and swollen ankles.

But Witten decided last offseason to leave the game he loved to work as ESPN’s lead analyst on Monday Night Football. He finished his career first in franchise history in catches (1,152) and yards (12,448). Or so we all thought.

After one criticism-filled season in the broadcast booth, Witten had enough. The Cowboys announced Thursday afternoon he would come out of retirement to play again. Here’s what Witten had to say:

“The fire inside of me to compete and play this game is just burning too strong. This team has a great group of rising young stars, and I want to help them make a run at a championship. This was completely my decision, and I am very comfortable with it. I’m looking forward to getting back in the dirt.”

A source said Witten signed a one-year contract with a base salary of $3.5 million, which, with incentives, could reach $5 million. Witten will receive no signing bonus, but this decision isn’t about the money for him. It’s about proving he can still play.

“We had conversations in the last few weeks, again, it’s been his desire to come back and play, and I think it was a challenging decision for him to make at the outset,” Jason Garrett said. “It was a great opportunity he had at ESPN to go be the lead analyst on Monday Night Football. I think playing football still tugged at his heart and I think he felt like there was still some meat on the bone, and there was something he wanted to accomplish and I think he loves it. He wants to be in this environment and there’s no doubt in his mind he can still play, and there’s no doubt in my mind he can still play. (I’m) excited to have him back.”

Witten’s desire to play got stronger as the 2018 season progressed. Cowboys officials began to hear in December that Witten was serious about returning. They didn’t take the whispers too seriously.

When the season ended, Witten reached out to Cowboys officials about a return. Garrett approved it after lengthy conversations with Witten about his health and mental state. But not everybody is down with this.

One Cowboys scout was surprised the Cowboys signed Witten because he believes the 15-year veteran will be a progress-stopper for younger players at his position.

It seems the Cowboys front office is split on this move, too. Some in the organization believe Witten is probably better than the four tight ends they utilized in 2018. On the other hand, plenty side with the aforementioned scout.

Witten will be 37 when the 2019 season begins and he’ll compete for playing time against tight ends who are no older than 25.

Are any of the four tight ends the Cowboys used last year Hall of Fame-worthy like Witten? Of course not. But the NFL is about getting younger and better. And very few tight ends his age make their teams better.

“The biggest thing you try to create on your team is competition and it’s not really about being a progress stopper,” Garrett said. “It’s about trying to play the best guys. We had a lot of young football players on our team this year, a lot of guys who hadn’t played any football before and had big roles for us, and I think they grew and progressed as the season went on and that was really good for our team. But I think the best thing you can do for players and the best thing you can do for your team is create competition. He’s certainly someone who can come back and create a lot of competition in that tight end room.”

Was Witten forced out of ESPN?

A source at the network tells The Athletic that wasn’t the case. His biggest challenge was relaying his strong knowledge of the game to a mass television audience. A Cowboys source said Witten missed playing football and didn’t like the “TV dog and pony show.”

Witten was surprised about the criticism he faced for some mistakes on air but understood it came with the job.

“I don’t think he expected the level of criticism that he received,” said a source at ESPN. “If he was in a different setting maybe nobody would know about all of his mistakes. Everybody can’t be Tony Romo. We planned on using him more in the draft and it was to improve his confidence level.”

Every week spent sitting at stadiums and providing color commentary about the game he loved made him miss it more. He teared up during a video tribute at AT&T Stadium before the Cowboys played the Titans. There were rumors in November he wanted to play in 2018, with 105.3 The Fan’s Ben Rogers first bringing them to light. Cowboys officials thought the rumors were silly and unfounded.

“I know he thought about the decision to go do Monday Night Football and thought about that long and hard,” Garrett said. “It was a very heartfelt decision. I don’t think it was an easy decision for him. It was such a great opportunity for him, I think that was the thing that pulled him there in the long conversations that we had before he made that decision. I knew that he still loved to play football and there’s no question in my mind he can still play at a high level. When he was away from it I think he continued to realize that and understand that and just decided to make this decision because he still loves the game and wants to be a part of it as a player.”

Leaving the NFL is difficult, especially if that’s all you know. Witten is a devoted family man, respected in his community and the locker room. He’s also well-liked by the media. During a conference call with the Cowboys beat writers before the Titans game, he called reporters by their first name and cracked jokes.

Witten is just a good dude.

But the NFL has a bunch of good dudes who can’t play anymore.

In what we thought was the final season of his playing career, Witten was given a game ball for his play and received a standing ovation from his teammates. The players asked for Witten to make a speech. His voice cracked as he said, “it goes fast, man, it goes fast.”

As he concluded his 30-second speech he said of the journey and desire to play, “it never stops.”

After some more applause for Witten, Garrett spoke and, fighting tears himself, looked at Witten and said, “The example he sets for all of us is the way this game is supposed to be played.”

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
What Jason Witten's return means for Cowboys on and off the field​​
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- When tight end Jason Witten walked away from football last May, his teammates gave him a long, standing ovation, recognizing a successful 15-year career that placed him among the greatest to play for the Dallas Cowboys.

It wasn't just the catches, yards and touchdowns that made Witten great -- it was the example he set in the locker room, at practice and during games.

Several of his teammates wrote an open letter to Witten via ESPN.comexpressing their gratitude.

On Thursday, Witten ended his retirement, agreeing to a one-year deal with the Cowboys that, according to sources, pays him $3.5 million with a possibility of $5 million with roster bonuses and incentives.

As it was from 2003 through 2017, the excitement regarding Witten's return isn't just about his ability to convert clutch third-down catches, but also for what he means off the field.

"When you think of the Dallas Cowboys, you think of him," Cowboys Pro Bowl guard Zack Martin said. "But more than that, it's his preparation, his leadership in the locker room, how he pushes himself every day to a new level."

Witten will turn 37 in May. For more than a decade, he played nearly all of the snaps. With his return, the expectation is he will take a reduced role in the offense, serving as a mentor to young tight ends such as Dalton Schultz and Blake Jarwin and maybe even a potential draft pick, although coach Jason Garrett did not want to discuss playing time on Thursday.

"Playing football still tugged at his heart. I think he felt there was still some meat on the bone, some things he still wanted to accomplish," Garrett told reporters. "I just think he loves it and wants to be in this environment. There is no doubt in his mind he can still play, and there is no doubt in my mind he can still play. Excited to have him back."

In 2017, Witten caught 63 passes for 560 yards and five touchdowns. He was added to the Pro Bowl as the first alternate, which meant he was viewed by his NFC peers as the third-best tight end in the conference.

Witten will not be asked to ride to the Cowboys' rescue upon his return. As much as the Cowboys' decision to go with a receiver-by-committee approach to replace Dez Bryant failed and necessitated the trade for Amari Cooper, the committee approach at tight end was solid.

Schultz, Jarwin, Geoff Swaim -- who is set to be a free agent -- and Rico Gatherscombined for 66 catches for 710 yards and four touchdowns last season, roughly the same as Witten by himself.

In his first two years as a starter, quarterback Dak Prescott used Witten as a security blanket in tough situations. As Prescott starts his fourth pro season, he once again can look to Witten in those difficult scenarios. Plus, Prescott has completed 73.7 percent of his passes thrown to tight ends in his career, third highest in the NFL in the past three seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

"[Witten has] been productive anytime he has stepped on a football field," Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee told ESPN. "There's nothing he can't do at that position, and that's why he's a Hall of Fame player."

Garrett said his discussions with Witten about a return started a few weeks ago. Witten stepped up his workouts to test how his body felt. He wanted to make sure his desire to play matched the physical ability to play.

Witten missed just one game in his career, in his rookie season. He played in more games (239), started more games (229) and started more consecutive games (179) than any player in team history. He also rarely missed practices, taking days off during training camp only late in his career at the demand of the coaching staff. He earned awards every year for his work in the offseason program given by the strength and conditioning coaches.

"He knows his body more than anyone else. He knows the demands of the game more than anybody to make an honest assessment of where he was physically," Garrett said. "He was able to do that over the last few weeks. I think he felt good about it. We certainly feel great about having him come back to the team."

Witten's work ethic rubbed off on players throughout the locker room. If he was going to put in the work, they were going to put in the work. That's why there was not a leadership void in his absence in 2018, because Prescott, Lee, Martin, Ezekiel Elliott, Tyrone Crawford and others carried on what he taught them.

His teammates are excited to have him back.

"He's definitely still going to be 82," Crawford said. "He's probably a little refreshed and ready to roll after taking a year off. I'm sure he's ready to show what he's got."

p1_

DCC 4Life
Does anyone think that Linehan being fired had any impact on Witten's decision to return?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Does anyone think that Linehan being fired had any impact on Witten's decision to return?
I think it’s mainly because he might have been fired or placed in a diminished role by ESPN anyways, but Linehan’s firing certainly helped things along

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think it’s mainly because he might have been fired or placed in a diminished role by ESPN anyways, but Linehan’s firing certainly helped things along
I think he had his shot at retirement and sports reporting and he preferred to get back to the game and his Dallas lifestyle.

Cotton

Staff member

DLK150

DCC 4Life
A lot of players do have a hard time walking away from the game, plus maybe he saw the reviews of his broadcasting ability and decided to go back to what he knows best. I do agree that he's probably coming back as a player/coach because even if he isn't that effective playing any more, he does know the position as well as anyone. Broadcasting is more of a part time job too, lots of down time.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The big question is.....does he get his captain's C back.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Eh.

I dunno. I think this is a situation where the stats are lying. Or they are inflated by one outlier.

There is really no way you can argue we were better off, or even close to equal, with the TE spot when Witten was here versus last year. The offense as a whole labored a lot more in 2017 vs 2018, which affected the numbers. The security and reliability he offers alone is worth enough to say his production, if it's the same as before, would be an upgrade.

I think people are slightly overreacting to this. Of course if we also draft a TE in the second, that's cool too.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
^^ This is true as well. Elliott was suspended for six games and the running game struggled without him. Morris was okay as a fill in but he was no Elliott.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I mean, also, in 2017, it was Witten with 63, Hanna with 4, Swaim with 2. Last year it was 27 for Jarwin, 26 for Swaim, 12 for Schultz.

Maybe if you have Witten last year with Schultz and Jarwin, it's more like 50 for Witten, 20 for Jarwin, 15 for Schultz, and then you are outproducing 68 catches.

Top Bottom