Schefter: Irving Under Evaluation For Suspension

p1_

DCC 4Life
[h=1]David Irving quitting the NFL over marijuana policy ‘makes no sense’[/h]

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Every person has the right to disagree with employer policies and resign. They do not however have a right to stay on the job and violate employer policy because they disagree.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Every person has the right to disagree with employer policies and resign. They do not however have a right to stay on the job and violate employer policy because they disagree.
I bet Jerry, as the employer of the players on his team, could honestly give a shit about players self medicating with marijuana. this is equally a league mandate that is thrust upon owners and players. Irving and Gregory thus serve 2 masters, pardon the phrase.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
David Irving: Entrepreneur:

After walking away from football out of a protest against the NFL's anti-marijuana stance, former Dallas Cowboys defensive end David Irving appears to be ready to get into the weed business.

Irving recently revealed to TMZ Sports that he is working on getting started and will be launching his own marijuana strain.

"It's been going crazy. It's been off the hook. ... I've had a lot of good emails. A lot of good text messages and a lot of good conversations," he said about the first days of building the business. "There's a lot of options, and a lot of ways I can go."

When asked what he'd name the strain, Irving said he'd include his jersey number, "It's gonna be that 9-5-OG."
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2825546-ex-cowboys-de-david-irving-says-he-plans-to-launch-his-own-marijuana-strain

p1_

DCC 4Life
I hope it works out for him. He needs a paycheck.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
He's probably made a million after agent fees, union fees, taxes, etcetera. Somehow I doubt it all went "up in smoke". If it did, that's on him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I bet Jerry, as the employer of the players on his team, could honestly give a shit about players self medicating with marijuana. this is equally a league mandate that is thrust upon owners and players. Irving and Gregory thus serve 2 masters, pardon the phrase.
Maybe so but it wouldn’t change a thing the way things are now. In addition the owners empower the commissioner to deal with league rules after committee sanctioning.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm sure a lot of players do. But that number seems inflated. The thing is if you have half a brain you can smoke and never get suspended.
yes the number is inflated. Any time you hear a percentage quoted in a nice rounded number like 85 or 98, or75 It’s a top of the head made up number. If there were an actual number it would have been something like 63.8%

Cujo

DCC 4Life
They should adopt the NBA's policy. I mean, really. Who gives a fuck? It's not a performance enhancer for Christ's sake.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They should adopt the NBA's policy. I mean, really. Who gives a fuck? It's not a performance enhancer for Christ's sake.
The NFL cares and legitimate or not as to whether there should be a concern, it’s still in the governance of the league and players have to comply or lose ther standing as a player in the league. The debate of should or shouldn’t is a way to vent I guess but it is just so much dialogue until such time as there is a proposal to put it to a vote of the owners.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The NFL cares and legitimate or not as to whether there should be a concern, it’s still in the governance of the league and players have to comply or lose ther standing as a player in the league. The debate of should or shouldn’t is a way to vent I guess but it is just so much dialogue until such time as there is a proposal to put it to a vote of the owners.
They don't really care. They just don't want to give the players anything at this point unless they get something in return.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
A
They don't really care. They just don't want to give the players anything at this point unless they get something in return.
The NFL obviously cares or they wouldn’t be handing out the pretty stiff penalties and suspensions. I thin it’s a PR thing. Especially after the Kapernick mess hit the league in the hip pocket. Then there is the various state laws to contend with. I think the Leagues position is better safe than sorry.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
A
The NFL obviously cares or they wouldn’t be handing out the pretty stiff penalties and suspensions. I thin it’s a PR thing. Especially after the Kapernick mess hit the league in the hip pocket. Then there is the various state laws to contend with. I think the Leagues position is better safe than sorry.
Bull. The NFL will eventually drop marijuana from the banned substance list, but only like Crock said... When they get something in return during the next CBA.

If the NFL truly cared about the so-called effects of marijuana on players, it would be a non negotiable topic. But it isn't and they don't. So it will be a major bargaining chip during the next CBA. The stiff penalties and suspensions that go along with it now only strengthen their bargaining power for it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Bull. The NFL will eventually drop marijuana from the banned substance list, but only like Crock said... When they get something in return during the next CBA.

If the NFL truly cared about the so-called effects of marijuana on players, it would be a non negotiable topic. But it isn't and they don't. So it will be a major bargaining chip during the next CBA. The stiff penalties and suspensions that go along with it now only strengthen their bargaining power for it.
How do they deal with the legal aspects of it? If the NFL did work a deal with the players association and drop it from their banned substance list, would they then leave a player hanging high and dry because of them getting busted in a state where it was still illegal?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
How do they deal with the legal aspects of it? If the NFL did work a deal with the players association and drop it from their banned substance list, would they then leave a player hanging high and dry because of them getting busted in a state where it was still illegal?
I'm sure it wouldn't be any different than if say, a player got a DUI or another charge. They'd fall under the league code of conduct policy. Alcohol isn't a banned substance, but players can still get in trouble if they break certain laws that include it.

Eventually, marijuana will become legal across the nation. Whether that's this year, or 20 years. Whatever. Until then, once it's off the banned substance list, the league will then stop testing for it and the only time it will ever come up is like I mentioned above.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm sure it wouldn't be any different than if say, a player got a DUI or another charge. They'd fall under the league code of conduct policy. Alcohol isn't a banned substance, but players can still get in trouble if they break certain laws that include it.

Eventually, marijuana will become legal across the nation. Whether that's this year, or 20 years. Whatever. Until then, once it's off the banned substance list, the league will then stop testing for it and the only time it will ever come up is like I mentioned above.
All of this is probably true, but my point is until that happens players are just plain stupid to let pot dictate their lives and kill their chances to be financially fixed.
So to that end, the Leagues actions are very much like they care if a player violates the rules. The only other explanation would be that it’s a convienence to be used to take shots at certain owners or a ploy to get a deal by union concession.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yep and the fans won't care as long as their favorite player is on the field on Sunday. In a lot of states posession isn't even as bad as some traffic violations. Missouri included.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So to that end, the Leagues actions are very much like they care if a player violates the rules.
Again... The only thing they "care" about is that it will be the main bargaining chip in the next CBA, where they hope to gain concessions in their favor in return for taking it off the banned list. Nothing more. To think it is anything else is foolish.

Top Bottom