2019 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The strategy is definitely to target a safety in the draft but I don't think Iloka is necessarily an upgrade on Heath. He could be, but I think it's more likely that he's the next Nolan Carroll, Deonte Thompson, etc.
I think he's an upgrade to Heath. All Heath has on him is speed. Nothing more. I'm certainly not saying that Iloka is the answer at the position. Only that Heath is that bad. He is not an NFL starter on the backend of your defense. His coverage is suspect at best, and his tackling is awful. He will light somebody up once in awhile, which is enough to get the easily distracted excited, but then will miss the next couple routine tackles.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
^^ This, plus the fact that Heath has straight line speed but next to no ability to adjust to a runner and often takes bad angles.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Considering that Heath barely came off the field last year for a top 10 defense I would consider him better than Nolan Carroll or Deonte Thompson. I've been bitching about his tackling for years so upgrading his spot is definitely a priority, but I also think you can get by with him as a starter without having your entire defense compromised, which isn't something I can say for Carroll. Iloka on the other hand was Minnesota's 4th safety behind Anthony Harris and could barely get on the field despite Sendejo missing almost the entire season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Considering that Heath barely came off the field last year for a top 10 defense I would consider him better than Nolan Carroll or Deonte Thompson. I've been bitching about his tackling for years so upgrading his spot is definitely a priority, but I also think you can get by with him as a starter without having your entire defense compromised, which isn't something I can say for Carroll. Iloka on the other hand was Minnesota's 4th safety behind Anthony Harris and could barely get on the field despite Sendejo missing almost the entire season.
Illoka was a starter on some really good Bengal's defenses. Last year not so much. But he hasn't been a career scrub. But bad players start on good defenses. So I'm not sure that's really much of an argument.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I know that he was a solid long-time starter in Cincinnati, but maybe that's in the past. He was always a bit of a box safety and maybe his speed is sapped to the point that you can't have him in deep coverage anymore. I don't know because I haven't watched 2018 film on him but the fact that he was purely a ST'er on a team that had injuries at safety last year is a very bad sign, and it's probably a pretty good indication that he isn't a slam dunk upgrade over Heath.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
^^ This, plus the fact that Heath has straight line speed but next to no ability to adjust to a runner and often takes bad angles.
Exactly right. He’s made a couple nice plays over the past couple years but he’s really JAG and his tackling has probably cost the Cowboys a few games in that same time span.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Quinn deal in place, official.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Tyler Eifert is still out there. I’d sign him to a minimum deal, fuck Rico and Jarwin.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Saw an article on BTB about giving Danny Shelton a shot. A one year deal to see if he can be our answer at 1 tech and maybe ressurect his career. I know he's been a disappointment but maybe it's worth a shot.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Saw an article on BTB about giving Danny Shelton a shot. A one year deal to see if he can be our answer at 1 tech and maybe ressurect his career. I know he's been a disappointment but maybe it's worth a shot.
I like it. good complement to Woods, and bigger.

Top Bottom