2019 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You show way too much faith in a 36 year old TE who averaged 8.9 ypc last time he played and hasn't played football in over a year. If that's really the guy you think is "best" on our roster at TE, then that's a serious problem. A liability really.

But yeah there are 3 TE's in this draft who I think could start from day one in Dallas with no questions asked. Fant, Hockenson and Irv. After those three I think a guy like Sternberger or even Caleb Wilson would still be the best TE on our roster right away but it would still worry me. Caleb Wilson especially intrigues me. Some will pin him as a workout warrior because he ran a 4.56 forty and looked great at the combine. But the guy also had 960 yards receiving this past year. 1675 total receiving yards over 3 years is nothing to scoff at. I wouldn't call him a sleeper but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a really good NFL TE.
Well it was a liability last year, so yeah. But I don’t think Witten is as bad as you are making him out to be.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well it was a liability last year, so yeah. But I don’t think Witten is as bad as you are making him out to be.
Well yeah, TE wasn't any more productive last year. But there seemed to be far less dumbass 4 yard routes on third and 10 to the TE. It changed the dynamics of the offense for the better. But TE needs addressed badly. Witten or Jarwin is a liability. Of course Jarwin could at least get better

p1_

DCC 4Life
Free agent a safety George Iloka visiting

Last edited:

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Hasn't Dallas drafted like three TEs in the second round in the last fifteen years that didn't pan out in Dallas? Two were Fasano and Escobust, can't remember the third but I'm sure there was another. In a draft this deep at TE I wouldn't jump the gun.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hasn't Dallas drafted like three TEs in the second round in the last fifteen years that didn't pan out in Dallas? Two were Fasano and Escobust, can't remember the third but I'm sure there was another. In a draft this deep at TE I wouldn't jump the gun.
Bennett...

Bennett and Fasano weren't really busts though. They both started a good amount of games for other teams. Escobar was the one outright suckage who never did shit in the league.

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Dallas drafted superbust linebacker Bobby Carpenter in the first round. Leighton Vander Esch and Anthony Spencer are happy that they didn't stupidly decide to never draft that position in the same round again.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Bennett...

Bennett and Fasano weren't really busts though. They both started a good amount of games for other teams. Escobar was the one outright suckage who never did shit in the league.
Right, Bennett. Yeah, they both had serviceable careers after they left Dallas. Anyway, Dallas' recent second round history has been spotty at times. The best one has probably been Lee but we all know that story.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right, Bennett. Yeah, they both had serviceable careers after they left Dallas. Anyway, Dallas' recent second round history has been spotty at times. The best one has probably been Lee but we all know that story.
Jaylon Smith turned out good. Tank has been excellent. Chido is a good starter already. I wouldn't say we have done bad in the second round. But we haven't been perfect either.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Jaylon Smith turned out good. Tank has been excellent. Chido is a good starter already. I wouldn't say we have done bad in the second round. But we haven't been perfect either.
Back before they took the keys away from Jerry the GM talent wiz, there were a few of forgettable 2nd round picks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back before they took the keys away from Jerry the GM talent wiz, there were a few of forgettable 2nd round picks.
Yeah when you get back into the early 2000s there are some really bad ones. Jacob Rogers, Al Johnson, Tony Dixon, Dwayne Goodrich.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Yeah when you get back into the early 2000s there are some really bad ones. Jacob Rogers, Al Johnson, Tony Dixon, Dwayne Goodrich.
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. :lol

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Cowboys sign Iloka.

I guess I’m glad they did something at the position. This feels like a real missed opportunity though, to get a difference maker at safety when we’ve needed one for a decade.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cowboys sign Iloka.

I guess I’m glad they did something at the position. This feels like a real missed opportunity though, to get a difference maker at safety when we’ve needed one for a decade.
A year ago I would have been pretty excited. The fact that he couldn't play more for the Vikes has me not so excited. He isn't very old yet at least.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This contract should be pretty obvious that we're looking hard at the safety position in the draft. Fill the hole with an acceptable player that is at the very least, an upgrade to Jeff Heath. Then let the draft come to you. If the right guy isn't there, you don't have to force a pick. If we draft somebody, he's a pretty good depth/special teams guy. Or, he could even be cut without much strain on the cap.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This contract should be pretty obvious that we're looking hard at the safety position in the draft. Fill the hole with an acceptable player that is at the very least, an upgrade to Jeff Heath. Then let the draft come to you. If the right guy isn't there, you don't have to force a pick.
Yep, this is what I think they are doing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The strategy is definitely to target a safety in the draft but I don't think Iloka is necessarily an upgrade on Heath. He could be, but I think it's more likely that he's the next Nolan Carroll, Deonte Thompson, etc.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The strategy is definitely to target a safety in the draft but I don't think Iloka is necessarily an upgrade on Heath. He could be, but I think it's more likely that he's the next Nolan Carroll, Deonte Thompson, etc.
Is Heath really better then those guys though? I mean if Heath was a free agent, would you view signing him as anything better than those signings?

Top Bottom