2019 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This time last year, and perhaps as recently as 6-7 months ago these fools were willing to give up a 2nd rounder for Thomas, now they're slow rolling signing him as a free agent to save a few million. Fucking brilliant.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't feel quite as bad at missing out on him at those numbers, but at the end of the day, I still think I would have pulled the trigger on that deal.

This team just cannot get creative at ways to improve itself. It's infuriating. It doesn't have to be Thomas, but it has to be something besides scraping the bottom of the barrel for pro player personnel.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Also, what the hell are the Ravens doing? They look to be in full rebuild mode.

Yet they want a 29 year old safety.

Ok then.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
These guys aren't serious about winning, it's that simple. They'd rather putz along while they play favorites with "company men" like Witten/Romo who help perpetuate to the idiotic fanbase the farcical notion that Jerry is a great owner because "just look at how much the players love him, and he must be great because we have all those great memories of Romo winning the division in 2009". Fuck off.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

Staff member
Well, shit. Who is left now at the S position? Matthieu is gone. Collins is gone. Amos is gone. Joyner is gone. Weddle is gone. Vaccaro is gone. Kareem Jackson is gone. What does that leave?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There are plenty of targets out there who the front office could go after (Tyrell Williams, Darius Philon, Randall Cobb, Timmy Jernigan,Chris Hogan, Tyler Eifert, Ziggy Ansah, Christian Covington, Justin Houston, Shaq Barrett, Bryce Callahan) and if you get 2-3 of those guys you'd have a pretty solid haul. The problem is there is a 0.00000% chance we get more than one of them, if that.

Cotton

Staff member

I will go ahead and say it before anyone else can.... Championship.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well, shit. Who is left now at the S position? Matthieu is gone. Collins is gone. Amos is gone. Joyner is gone. Weddle is gone. Vaccaro is gone. Kareem Jackson is gone. What does that leave?
Tre Boston.

Second rate.

Might as well just roll with what we have. Not sure how much better he would be than a guy like Heath. Certainly not as good as what we hope Woods turns into. Boston has one career interception.

Thomas was what we needed. We have needed a ballhawking safety to be a leader, a centerfielder, and a turnover machine. For years. He's 100% what we needed. We should have been willing to overpay him a bit on a short term deal.

The Cowboys seem to be stuck in a decade old conceptualization of what players are worth. It's like the old fogey who complains about coffee being $3. In my day, it used to be a nickel!

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I really feel like this offseason is killing a bit of my fanhood. I mean, this move was staring them in the face if they were serious about getting better and competing for a championship. This is absolutely a "put you over the top" kind of player. Maybe he doesn't put the entire team on his back, but he's the kind of addition that can take a good defense and make them great. Because he adds a dimension you don't have and haven't had for years, and that is hard to find: A true ballhawking centerfielder. He's 29 years old. He's not over the hill. He proved last year he has a lot of football left. All it takes is money. And we have the cap space.

And we just had essentially no interest. Yeah, I mean, I'm sure any team would take him if he'd sign for $8 million a year. But in actually seeing the value in paying him up where the other safeties were getting paid? Nope, no interest.

This isn't trying. They might think they're trying, but they aren't. They never attempt to get creative or think outside the box like other top teams do.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Tre Boston has 11 career INT's, including 10 in the last 3 years. He'd be an upgrade over Heath in coverage but I think he's a bit of a nutcase. But yes, Thomas is exactly what we needed, he wanted to be here, and we arrogantly passed because we have Jeff Heath and only wanted to pay him 10.5 instead of 13.5.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Tre Boston has 11 career INT's, including 10 in the last 3 years. He'd be an upgrade over Heath in coverage but I think he's a bit of a nutcase. But yes, Thomas is exactly what we needed, he wanted to be here, and we arrogantly passed because we have Jeff Heath and only wanted to pay him 10.5 instead of 13.5.
You're right. I completely misread his stat line on PFR.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The obvious answer, as I said a few posts earlier, is that they aren't serious about winning. I'm sure they "want" to win or "think" they're doing everything they can, but ultimately when there is no accountability or fear of being replaced like 90% of other GM's have, you naturally won't be as desperate.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

I will go ahead and say it before anyone else can.... Championship.
Fucking retarded. We rarely even play the guy, but we give him a three year contract with guaranteed money?

Top Bottom