2019 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/09/dallas-cowboys-2019-nfl-free-agency-potential-targets/

I think I summed up what I think could happen and would want to happen within the framework of how we do business.

I know it is all fun and nice to pretend we are going to be major players for Earl Thomas or Landon Collins, I just don't see it happening.

We also have some other needs it would be nice to put to bed before the draft since we don't have a first.

We really need to be open to taking anyone at any time.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
We're gonna sign Earl. That will be our splash.

I don't think I would throw much money at Eiffert. Cant make the team in the tub.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We're gonna sign Earl. That will be our splash.

I don't think I would throw much money at Eiffert. Cant make the team in the tub.
I just don't know why we would have been willing to send a second for Earl but then when we could have him for free we would say pass. Either way the man was getting paid.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
How can we afford ET when we're trying to work out deals for Dak, Tank, and maybe Zeke?

DLK150

DCC 4Life
The only guy I know much of anything about is Eifert, mostly from his college days. As a pro, I know he had one really good season but hardly saw the field a good part of his career. I'd pass.

I still don't think we sign ET. It's not like Dallas is the only team he can sign with, despite the whole "Come get me" incident. Maybe he only said it because he knows Dallas will throw $$$ at big name talent when the opportunity is there.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
The only guy I know much of anything about is Eifert, mostly from his college days. As a pro, I now he had really good season but hardly saw the field a good part of his career. I'd pass.

I still don't think we sign ET. It's not like Dallas is the only team he can sign with, despite the whole "Come get me" incident. Maybe he only said it because he knows Dallas will throw $$$ at big name talent when the opportunity is there.
Eifert is coming off a bad break, I don't feel too good about him staying healthy at his age. And with ET, I think we're players to a point. we wont break the bank on him, but we will definitely pursue.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
And, surely more to come with a couple of cap casualties getting cut. (Williams, Beasley, Lee, etc.)
Yep. We can easily get to $80+ million in cap space.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And, surely more to come with a couple of cap casualties getting cut. (Williams, Beasley, Lee, etc.)
Shrimp is a FA. And I would be shocked if they cut Lee. Williams' savings is peanuts.

Keep dreaming for splash FAs, it ain't happening though.

Sincerely,
DFDC

Cotton

Staff member
Shrimp is a FA. And I would be shocked if they cut Lee. Williams' savings is peanuts.

Keep dreaming for splash FAs, it ain't happening though.

Sincerely,
DFDC
Williams, if cut post June 1, would net us 3.5 mill, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if they cut Lee, creating 7 more. That's 10 mill from just 2 players. You will not win this war, DFDC.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Williams, if cut post June 1, would net us 3.5 mill, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if they cut Lee, creating 7 more. That's 10 mill from just 2 players. You will not win this war, DFDC.
Me after I am proven right three weeks after FA starts===>

Cotton

Staff member
Me after I am proven right three weeks after FA starts===>
Oh, I'm not saying you're wrong about what we do or don't do in FA. I'm talking about how much money they can free up if they so choose.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Yep. We can easily get to $80+ million in cap space.
$80 mil is a hell of an opportunity and a sweet situation we haven't been in for a long time. Opens the door to lock in our top vets. But personally I'm just not sure about signing ET. Giving big $$$ to a 30 year old coming off an injury. If it were my call I'd take a safety in the 2nd or 3rd.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
$80 mil is a hell of an opportunity and a sweet situation we haven't been in for a long time. Opens the door to lock in our top vets. But personally I'm just not sure about signing ET. Giving big $$$ to a 30 year old coming off an injury. If it were my call I'd take a safety in the 2nd or 3rd.
I would absolutely sign Thomas.

This is not a great safety class, especially since we have to wait until 58.

There are maybe five safeties better than what we have. I think at least three go before our first choice.

Cotton

Staff member
I would absolutely sign Thomas.

This is not a great safety class, especially since we have to wait until 58.

There are maybe five safeties better than what we have. I think at least three go before our first choice.
Same. Sign Thomas, let him hold down the middle for a few years, and draft a safety during that time to take over for him when he leaves.

Top Bottom