Williams: Jerry Jones Confirms Jason Garrett is coaching for his job

shoop

Semi-contributing member
[h=1]Jerry Jones confirms Jason Garrett is coaching for his job[/h] Posted by Charean Williams on February 2, 2019, 11:01 PM EST

Getty Images

A report Jan. 12 said the Cowboys were expected to negotiate an extension with Jason Garrett. Then, 19 days later came word that Jerry Jones was not givingGarrett a new deal before the coach’s contract expires after the 2019 season.

So is he or isn’t he?

Jones confirmed Saturday night that Garrett is coaching for his job in 2019.

“We have been there before without a contract,” Jones said at NFL Honors, via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “He trusts me. I do trust him or he wouldn’t be the head coach to begin with. Our business is made too much of when you look at extensions and non extensions.”

Garrett went into the 2014 season as a lame duck, too, and the Cowboys went 12-4, won the NFC East and beat the Lions in the wild-card round before losing to the Packers in the divisional round in the infamous Dez Bryant catch/no-catch game.

The Cowboys rewarded Garrett with a five-year, $30 million extension.

Now, Garrett is back at the same place he was before the 2014 season.

“I don’t spend a lot of time on the business of football,” Garrett said at NFL Honors. “I spend time trying to build a team we all can be proud of.”

lostxn

DCC 4Life
The tag line of this article is not at all supported by the quote.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
“I don’t spend a lot of time on the business of football,” Garrett said at NFL Honors. “I spend time trying to build a team we all can be proud of.”

There we go with the fuckin' Boy Scout shit again: "...build a team we all can be proud of.”

Memo to clueless fuckin' Carrot: This is the NFL, not the the fuckin' 4-H club. What makes fans proud is winning. Period. Nobody gives a shit about how many merit badges they have, or whether they "kept fighting" and never gave up in a losing effort.

The final score, Carrot, the final fuckin' score. That's all anyone gives a shit about. This guy is no fuckin' head coach. That's for sure.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think its supported by the quote. Jerry is insinuating that Garrett won't get extended this off-season. Which means he's in the final year of his contract. Which means Garrett is coaching for his job because I can't imagine he gets re-upped if we have a poor season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think its supported by the quote. Jerry is insinuating that Garrett won't get extended this off-season. Which means he's in the final year of his contract. Which means Garrett is coaching for his job because I can't imagine he gets re-upped if we have a poor season.
He is not insinuating that at all. We would like to think he is holding Garrett's nuts to the fire but this is just reading into his typical nonsensical reply to a question.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He is not insinuating that at all. We would like to think he is holding Garrett's nuts to the fire but this is just reading into his typical nonsensical reply to a question.
It seems like he's trying to downplay it and trying to not say it directly, but he's definitely insinuating that Garrett likely won't get extended this off-season.

Essentially , "we've done it before , it's not a big deal."

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Just a BS article title to make people believe Jones is putting the screws to Garrett.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just a BS article title to make people believe Jones is putting the screws to Garrett.
I should think by now that people would quit trying to make sense of what Jones says. The man will say one thing one day and something completely different the next. The reporters hang on every word he says to form their opinions and news stories all the while indicating that that there is a big story one day then Jones will say something to contradict or refute it. I don’t know of one fan that says they believe everything or anything he says but then they will hang their hat on it to predict what he is going to do. This story is continual and the reactions are usually the same.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I should think by now that people would quit trying to make sense of what Jones says. The man will say one thing one day and something completely different the next. The reporters hang on every word he says to form their opinions and news stories all the while indicating that that there is a big story one day then Jones will say something to contradict or refute it. I don’t know of one fan that says they believe everything or anything he says but then they will hang their hat on it to predict what he is going to do. This story is continual and the reactions are usually the same.
Yes, you have to watch what he does. In reality, he is putting the screws to Garrett. His quote is bullshit, this is not no big deal. He is prepared to move on and is now giving Garett a final opportunity. I wonder if he doesn't have someone in waiting for next year. Maybe a couple people.

You can't watch these gams and not realize how fucking important coaching is. We are never gonna beat the best coaches with Garrett.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
We dont even beat rookie coaches with Garrett.

p1_

DCC 4Life
we get belichick in Foxboro next season. that ought to be a laugher.

Top Bottom