Cowboys unlikely to extend Garrett

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So this brings up an interesting possibility. Lets say the team takes off next year offensively. We have a really good season and it's in large part due to this prodigy we have at OC. If you haven't laughed and stopped reading at this point, what happens? Do you keep Garrett around knowing that Moore is likely the architect and will start getting head coaching offers? It would almost be a Redskins like situation with McVay. Would you credit that success to Garrett and extend him?

It would be a wonderful situation to have because it means we actually have a good season next year. Which I'm sure most of us are doubting. But not extending Garrett now really only works out if this team doesn't do well on offense next year.
Probably depends on how the team does overall. If the team takes off, offensively, but still gets bounced in the divisional round, I think it's fair to move on. But again I'm probably still looking at Payton first, or Riley.

If the team loses in the Super Bowl, I don't see how you fire the head coach. How would you be certain it wasn't at least partially Garrett's re-involvement, and I assume, pass-happiness, re-rooting?

data

Forbes #1
Hypothetically, we fire Garrett after 2019 and Garrett guides the Redskins to a SB ring in 2020.

Who’d be more insufferable - Redskins fans or schmitty?

GShock

DCC 4Life
Boy if we start losing next year, that Garrett/Wade, er, Richard dynamic is going to get awkward.

GShock

DCC 4Life
It will be interesting to see how aggressive we are this off-season. Garrett has to be in win-now mode, which hasn’t exactly been our approach to FA. Wonder how much leeway he will be given to influence those decisions and how different they will be.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
This is good news though not ideal from a hire Sean Payton perspective since he has 2 years left. I really don't want to give up picks for a coach. This does make the Kellen Moore signing easier to stomach though.

I certainly don't consider next year to be a throwaway year though. I kind of wonder what is going to be Garret's expectations. Division Title of course. NFC championship game? Superbowl? What's fair?

Also, free agency will be a bit of barometer. If we go all in and get 2 stud free agents (say Earl + DT) I think the front office will be giving Garrett a real chance to stay. If they kind of take a more sustainable course with resignings +/- Earl + bargain basement guys I am thinking they want to take a long-term approach to keeping a quality roster and just swap out the coaching staff if they don't create magic.
I read somewhere that Peyton had the option to opt out of his contract and the article I read said Saints ownership wouldn't stop him if that was his choice. I wish I could remember where I read it to attach the link. Sorry guys,.

It's taken close to a decade but it's kind of refreshing to see that he'll actually have to coach for his job for a change.

If these reports are legitimately true, I believe this will finally be Garrett's last year as HC of the Cowboys.

I hope Jerry has a NFC Championship game or bust attitude. Another 12 or 13 win season shouldn't be enough to save Garrett's job. Especially if it comes with another Divisional Round exit.
Well this would be the “down year” of Jason Garrett’s roller coaster cowboys team so I don’t think there will be anything to worry about as far as winning anything.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Well this would be the “down year” of Jason Garrett’s roller coaster cowboys team so I don’t think there will be anything to worry about as far as winning anything.
Yeah pretty much. I will say there is usually a compelling reason for the poor years. 2015 Romo was injured. 2017 Zeke's suspension and Tyron and Lee injuries. We really should have canned him after the 3 8-8 seasons in a row. That should have been it. We've been suffering under this BS ever since.
530.6253rd in NFC East
880.5003rd in NFC East
880.5003rd in NFC East
880.5002nd in NFC East
1240.7501st in NFC East11.500Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Divisional Game
4120.2504th in NFC East
1330.8131st in NFC East01.000Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Divisional Game
970.5632nd in NFC East
1060.6251st in NFC East11.500Lost to Los Angeles Rams in NFC Divisional Game
Team Year Regular season Postseason Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result DAL * 2010 DAL 2011 DAL 2012 DAL 2013 DAL 2014 DAL 2015 DAL 2016 DAL 2017 DAL 2018 Total[SUP] [30] [/SUP] 77 59 0 .566 2 3 .400

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I dont buy the injury excuse at all. The Steelers a few years ago were on their 3rd string QB and won games to get in the playoffs. Even Houston won games with Weeden or Cassel after we cut them. Teams have to deal with injuries. You should at least be competitive.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I dont buy the injury excuse at all. The Steelers a few years ago were on their 3rd string QB and won games to get in the playoffs. Even Houston won games with Weeden or Cassel after we cut them. Teams have to deal with injuries. You should at least be competitive.
Exactly how I feel. The fact that the team failed to win a meaningful game in 2015 w/o Romo in the lineup spoke volumes about Garrett's lack of value as a HC. Yet here we are 3+ years later going through the same old song and dance.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Ok so I'm late to the party on this thread. But please explain why Jerry would promote Moore to OC while having Garret coaching for his job next year. I think the Moore promotion is a joke. Is he just setting Garett up for failure?
​​​​​​No way Jerry thinks Moore will jump start the offense. I know Jerry is incredibly moronic but come on...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ok so I'm late to the party on this thread. But please explain why Jerry would promote Moore to OC while having Garret coaching for his job next year. I think the Moore promotion is a joke. Is he just setting Garett up for failure?
​​​​​​No way Jerry thinks Moore will jump start the offense. I know Jerry is incredibly moronic but come on...
I'm not sure, obviously, but I'm hoping that Jerry let Garrett choose the replacement. If so, barring some crazy ass Moore ascension, Garrett is gone next year.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
But please explain why Jerry would promote Moore to OC while having Garret coaching for his job next year.
Because there is not a single coach that is even half decent with a functioning brain that would take a job under a lame duck coach. Because when that coach is inevitably swept out the door, chances are, so are they. And this isn't just a Dallas thing. You never see decent coordinators hired under a coach that is in the final year of their contract.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Because there is not a single coach that is even half decent with a functioning brain that would take a job under a lame duck coach. Because when that coach is inevitably swept out the door, chances are, so are they. And this isn't just a Dallas thing. You never see decent coordinators hired under a coach that is in the final year of their contract.
Exactly. Even if Dallas had interviewed candidates (which we didn’t), I can’t imagine anyone being interested. I think the coaching candidate list will be very short if/when Garrett leaves after the 2019 season. I think it’ll be:

1. Sean Payton (and cough up a draft pick to get him)
2. Kris Richard
3. Kellen Moore (I don’t want it, but we know Jerry would consider it)
4. Jim Harbaugh

I don’t think Harbaugh would want anything to do with Dallas, and Moore would have no business being a head coach yet, but I can see Jerry pursuing/promoting those guys.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
On the other hand if things change for the better then Moore has done everyone a favor including Garrett. The difficulty I have with Garrett’s short leash is that even though most agree he will enter a make or break season the criteria for a “successful” season isn’t known except for maybe 3 or 4 people in the organization.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Exactly. Even if Dallas had interviewed candidates (which we didn’t), I can’t imagine anyone being interested. I think the coaching candidate list will be very short if/when Garrett leaves after the 2019 season. I think it’ll be:

2. Kris Richard
4. Jim Harbaugh

I don’t think Harbaugh would want anything to do with Dallas, and Moore would have no business being a head coach yet, but I can see Jerry pursuing/promoting those guys.
I don't think there's any chance Jerry would want Harbaugh in here and have to walk on eggshells again.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
On the other hand if things change for the better then Moore has done everyone a favor including Garrett. The difficulty I have with Garrett’s short leash is that even though most agree he will enter a make or break season the criteria for a “successful” season isn’t known except for maybe 3 or 4 people in the organization.
On the other hand? Maybe you meant to reply to somebody else. I didn't say anything about whether or not Moore will succeed. My post was only about why an established coach wasn't hired while Garrett has only 1 year remaining on his contract.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
2. Kris Richard
4. Jim Harbaugh
I'd replace JIm Harbaugh with LIncoln Riley. I don't think Harbaugh will want to come here. But Riley might be ready to step up to the NFL, and if Jerry does actually fire Garrett, that would be a splash name for him. The other three, I could absolutely see there being interest.

Top Bottom