Cowboys unlikely to extend Garrett

lostxn

DCC 4Life
This is good news though not ideal from a hire Sean Payton perspective since he has 2 years left. I really don't want to give up picks for a coach. This does make the Kellen Moore signing easier to stomach though.

I certainly don't consider next year to be a throwaway year though. I kind of wonder what is going to be Garret's expectations. Division Title of course. NFC championship game? Superbowl? What's fair?

Also, free agency will be a bit of barometer. If we go all in and get 2 stud free agents (say Earl + DT) I think the front office will be giving Garrett a real chance to stay. If they kind of take a more sustainable course with resignings +/- Earl + bargain basement guys I am thinking they want to take a long-term approach to keeping a quality roster and just swap out the coaching staff if they don't create magic.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I still bet Jerry is hoping for and probably expecting a great year and he'll get to give his adopted son Jason that extension after all.

Probably remembers the division titles in 2009 and 2014 when Wade and Garrett were going into lame duck years, and hopes history will repeat.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'm frankly shocked since the rumblings have been out there for awhile. Maybe criticism from the media and fans when the rumor started finally sunk into Jerrah's thick head, at least enough to keep him from extending him. It does give the FO some time to examine potential replacements in case the team gets off to another slow start next season. If it does, interviewing Richard would satisfy the Rooney rule, so there's that.

I'm glad he's not being extended *yet* but I will not dance any jigs until we see how the 2019 season goes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Moore is better than advertised, I still think he would NOT be a candidate for HC openings. As for Garrett, I think it depends upon the final outcome of a REQUIRED postseason minimum. I think a title game is the bar, but I cant say if we must win for Garrett to survive.
But if we get to a title game would it not be because the offense has turned the corner? I hate to say it but I'd still probably credit someone else besides Garrett at that point.

Of course if we play that well shit Garrett may get a contract offer from someone else. Although I think he loves Jerry and the family too much to leave.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I’m beginning to think that Garrett’s handing of his coaching duties with the pro bowl squad may have been an embarrassment to Jones. If it wasn’t it should have been. So maybe it made him see the light about Garrett’s dedication to being a good example for the organization.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I’m beginning to think that Garrett’s handing of his coaching duties with the pro bowl squad may have been an embarrassment to Jones. If it wasn’t it should have been. So maybe it made him see the light about Garrett’s dedication to being a good example for the organization.
If that was his motivation behind this decision, Jones is even more of an idiot than we all thought.

It was the fucking Pro Bowl. And it had his new OC calling plays. So if it was embarrassing, it should have made him change his mind completely.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If that was his motivation behind this decision, Jones is even more of an idiot than we all thought.

It was the fucking Pro Bowl. And it had his new OC calling plays. So if it was embarrassing, it should have made him change his mind completely.
It was Garrett’s decision to use players out of position and let players like Elliot play defense, etc. The embarrassment was Garrett not taking the game serious.rather than his attempt to try to win because he didn’t make any effort to do so.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I’ll bet that entitled, ginger, Ivy League jackass is irate at the Joneses and totally in his blue blooded soul feels he deserves to be considered one of the league’s best coaches.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll bet that entitled, ginger, Ivy League jackass is irate at the Joneses and totally in his blue blooded soul feels he deserves to be considered one of the league’s best coaches.
Well he may leave no matter what after this year then.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It's taken close to a decade but it's kind of refreshing to see that he'll actually have to coach for his job for a change.

If these reports are legitimately true, I believe this will finally be Garrett's last year as HC of the Cowboys.

I hope Jerry has a NFC Championship game or bust attitude. Another 12 or 13 win season shouldn't be enough to save Garrett's job. Especially if it comes with another Divisional Round exit.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's taken close to a decade but it's kind of refreshing to see that he'll actually have to coach for his job for a change.

If these reports are legitimately true, I believe this will finally be Garrett's last year as HC of the Cowboys.

I hope Jerry has a NFC Championship game or bust attitude. Another 12 or 13 win win season shouldn't be enough to save Garrett's job. Especially if it comes with another Divisional Round exit.
Let's all root for a loss every single week. If for nothing else to piss off LT.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Well, Garrett has never had seasons with back to back double digit wins or playoff appearances so maybe the writing is on the wall unless the offense stalls again and they blame the rookie OC. This team always finds a scapegoat.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Well, Garrett has never had seasons with back to back double digit wins or playoff appearances so maybe the writing is on the wall unless the offense stalls again and they blame the rookie OC. This team always finds a scapegoat.
If Garrett form holds, I would expect a let down this next season, as opposed to an improved record. The schedule will be tougher for sure. But there is no more scapegoat, Garrett's dick is squarely on the block.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I hope there isn't a scapegoat if it's a down year but I'll remain skeptical until next season plays out and that's an eternity from now.

p1_

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Skip Bayless about REPORT: DAL won't extend Garrett, Kellen Moore promoted to OC[/h]

Top Bottom