Williams - Jerry Jones: Jason Garrett is not on shaky ground

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Jason Garrett is not on shaky ground

Posted by Charean Williams on January 30, 2019, 9:10 PM EST

The Cowboys haven’t announced their coaching staff changes yet. Jon Kitna was hired more than a week ago presumably as the quarterbacks coach, and Kellen Moore is expected to get a promotion to offensive coordinator.

But the lack of an announcement has invited speculation about Jason Garrett’s job security.
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, listening to the radio while sitting in traffic Wednesday, unexpectedly called into 105.3 The Fan to defend his coach after hearing the discussion.

“The reason that it’s not being talked about is not that Jason is on shaky ground,” Jones told the radio station of the Cowboys’ coaching changes. “. . .It’s just we’re putting together ides and didn’t want to necessarily make that a featured topic around the Super Bowl. Everything is as it should be.”

Garrett is 77-59 in the regular season and 2-3 in the postseason in his 8 1/2 seasons as the team’s head coach. The Cowboys have made the postseason three times in Garrett’s eight seasons as a full-time head coach.

Garrett has one year remaining on his contract and may or may not get an extension before the 2019 season. For now, a pat on the back from the owner will have to do.

“We’ve got a coach that basically now has a lot of experience,” Jones said. “We want to benefit from it. He is a great safety net for everything that we’re going to do with a young staff like we’ve got. I think we’re in an ideal position.”

Jones also praised Moore, who likely will call the team’s plays despite only one year of coaching experience.

“Jason’s going to be making an announcement here real quickly, but make no mistake about it, he’s going to be a key guy in what play is run on that football field,” Jones said. “By key, probably have the ultimate responsibility.”

Jones believes he has the staff in place to get it done, even if Cowboys fans — who haven’t even seen their team in the NFC Championship Game in 23 years — are skeptical. Jones makes it clear he wants to win as much, or more, than the most diehard supporter.

“There’s been some speculation that possibly I’m a little satisfied with going down to these Super Bowls without having my team with me, which I’m not,” Jones said. “There is absolutely a complete commitment.”

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Why would RedBall be under any pressure? He’s Jerry’s perfect puppet.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
“We’ve got a coach that basically now has a lot of experience,” Jones said. “We want to benefit from it. He is a great safety net for everything that we’re going to do with a young staff like we’ve got. I think we’re in an ideal position.”
:budd

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Like I said before. Garrett isn’t going anywhere.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This is feeling more and more like famous "vote of confidence".

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
“We’ve got a coach that basically now has a lot of experience,” Jones said. “We want to benefit from it. He is a great safety net for everything that we’re going to do with a young staff like we’ve got.
:lol :lol :lol

junk

Not So New Member
Jerry continued.....What we've got here is a young Jeff Fisher. We've invested 8.5 years in this coach and we're going to benefit from that. Now sure you'll argue Fisher got to the Super Bowl a couple of years before Garrett even made it to a league championship game, but we could be on that track. The next Jeff Fisher.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I wish Jones would just shut up and let fans enjoy the offseason as much as possible. I still think it's his way of keeping the team in the news now that the season is over in Dallas.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I wish Jones would just shut up and let fans enjoy the offseason as much as possible. I still think it's his way of keeping the team in the news now that the season is over in Dallas.
He can’t help himself. Winning is secondary to staying relevant. Staying relevant makes him money.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That would be nice but Jones is a promoter and his antics and style has kept the franchise in the limelight and financially superior for a long time. It’s what he knows and what has worked so I guess you just take it for what it’s worth a follow the team.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
That would be nice but Jones is a promoter and his antics and style has kept the franchise in the limelight and financially superior for a long time. It’s what he knows and what has worked so I guess you just take it for what it’s worth a follow the team.
That would be simple if my web browser had a Jerry Jones statement filter or blocking tool.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That would be simple if my web browser had a Jerry Jones statement filter or blocking tool.
It does. You. Don't click and read it. If the shit bothers you that bad, it's really not that difficult.

Top Bottom