3 things to know about new QB coach Jon Kitna

p1_

DCC 4Life
By Jon Machota , Staff Writer

The Cowboys are adding an experienced veteran to their quarterback room. Former Cowboy Jon Kitna has agreed to join the staff as quarterbacks coach, according to a SportsDay source.

So what exactly is Dallas getting in the 16-year NFL veteran?

Here are three things you need to know.

NFL experience

Popular knocks this season on first-year QB coach Kellen Moore were that he didn't play much during his NFL career and he didn't have any coaching experience. The belief from some critics was that a young quarterback such as Dak Prescott needed a seasoned veteran coaching his position.

Well, Kitna brings that, having starting 124 career games. From 1997 to 2011, he played for the Seahawks, Bengals, Lions and Cowboys.

A back injury forced Kitna to retire in 2012, but he briefly rejoined the Cowboys at the end of the 2013 season to serve as Kyle Orton's backup after Tony Romo suffered a back injury.

Kitna finished his NFL career with 29,745 passing yards, 169 touchdowns, 165 interceptions and a 77.4 passer rating.

Coaching influences

Since retiring as a player, Kitna has been a high school head coach in Washington, Texas and Arizona. Before reports of him potentially joining the Cowboys' staff surfaced, Kitna was scheduled to be offensive coordinator for the San Diego Fleet of the Alliance of American Football professional league.

Before joining the Cowboys, Kitna played for some notable offensive coaches, including Dennis Erickson, Mike Holmgren, Mike Sherman and Mike Martz. Martz is now head coach of the San Diego Fleet.

When Kitna joined the Cowboys, his offensive coordinator was Jason Garrett.

Familiar with the Cowboys' staff

Not only is Kitna familiar with Garrett as an OC and head coach, Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli was Kitna's head coach in Detroit for three seasons.

"In terms of my offensive mind, nobody had more of an impact on me than Mike Martz during the time I got to spend with him," Kitna told Fox Sports in 2016 of his greatest NFL mentors. "And then in terms of game management, Mike Holmgren. I thought that he was the best game manager I've ever been around. He won the games he was supposed to win, and I tried to learn a lot from him.

"Then in terms of organizational development, that was Jason Garrett, with the details and the things he presented day-in and day-out, and his ability to get everybody to come under one common goal."

Newt

DCC 4Life
So that pretty much makes Moore the new OC right?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
co-QBs coaches

:towel

• Props
Reactions: p1_

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think Moore will be the OC because I believe the front office wants to get away from the Garrett system. Kitna has no experience in creating schemes and plays but a lot of experience at the QB position. He is a natural to coach that experience. Moore has a lot of exposure to creating systems but not a lot of actual QB experience at the pro level so he is better suited to the OC position. It’s a pretty decent layer to the offense and one that can transition the team and Quarterback.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Moore will be the OC because I believe the front office wants to get away from the Garrett system. Kitna has no experience in creating schemes and plays but a lot of experience at the QB position. He is a natural to coach that experience. Moore has a lot of exposure to creating systems but not a lot of actual QB experience at the pro level so he is better suited to the OC position. It’s a pretty decent layer to the offense and one that can transition the team and Quarterback.
Yeah I think Kitna is definitely a better fit as a QB coach. Where I think Moore lacked in the ability to sort of work on a QB's mechanics and drill a QB I think he is better in terms of scheming and hopefully attacking a defense schematically. The fits definitely seem better as you suggest. Again, I know everyone sort of has a dislike for Moore based on him getting the Quarterbacks Coach spot with no good qualifications. But we have seen a lot of NFL hires sort of go outside the box in an attempt to sort of get ahead of the NFL curve and not just be a follower. Moore will either work out great or we will probably get rid of Garrett finally. Either outcome is a plus for most of us.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Don’t forget Nussmeier figures prominently here too. This multifaceted approach suggests we will indeed see something different finally . Thank God .

Newt

DCC 4Life
Yeah I think Kitna is definitely a better fit as a QB coach. Where I think Moore lacked in the ability to sort of work on a QB's mechanics and drill a QB I think he is better in terms of scheming and hopefully attacking a defense schematically. The fits definitely seem better as you suggest. Again, I know everyone sort of has a dislike for Moore based on him getting the Quarterbacks Coach spot with no good qualifications. But we have seen a lot of NFL hires sort of go outside the box in an attempt to sort of get ahead of the NFL curve and not just be a follower. Moore will either work out great or we will probably get rid of Garrett finally. Either outcome is a plus for most of us.
Kitna as QB coach actually doesn't bother me, he's been around for a long time, played for a long time and has some experience under him right now. Moore had none of that last year. While I think Moore could help with the mental part of the game, I think Dak really needs someone that can help with his mechanics. Dak and Kellen are completely different players, Kellen had no idea how to correct Dak's footwork or throwing motion. Kitna may be able to help in that regard.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kitna as QB coach actually doesn't bother me, he's been around for a long time, played for a long time and has some experience under him right now. Moore had none of that last year. While I think Moore could help with the mental part of the game, I think Dak really needs someone that can help with his mechanics. Dak and Kellen are completely different players, Kellen had no idea how to correct Dak's footwork or throwing motion. Kitna may be able to help in that regard.
I agree completely with this. I hope Kellen is as bright as he is touted as. He at least sounds a million times more creative then Garrett is. Not just a book worm. I just wish he had more experience and time as a coach before making this jump. But it's not easy to pry bright minds away from other NFL teams and I'm struggling to think of an offensive coordinator option out there who could do that for us. Especially considering the way NFL teams don't have to let their assistants go to another team for a better assistant job.

Top Bottom