Hairopoulos: With great possibilities' in mind, Jerry Jones is not in a rush to finalize Cowboys' coaching staff

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I still don't like Moore as a choice for OC. Maybe he pans out but I think it's just laziness on the FO's end because it's easier and cheaper to promote from within than hiring outside the organization. IMO.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I still don't like Moore as a choice for OC. Maybe he pans out but I think it's just laziness on the FO's end because it's easier and cheaper to promote from within than hiring outside the organization. IMO.
So, tell us who you'd hire. And while you do that, consider that the HC is basically in a lame duck position right now. Tell us who this bright offensive mind is that you'd hire, that would be willing to come here and take the chance of being swept out the door with Garrett if he is in fact fired next year. Sure, his firing isn't a sure thing. But if you were a coach on the outside, would you be willing to take that chance?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, tell us who you'd hire. And while you do that, consider that the HC is basically in a lame duck position right now. Tell us who this bright offensive mind is that you'd hire, that would be willing to come here and take the chance of being swept out the door with Garrett if he is in fact fired next year. Sure, his firing isn't a sure thing. But if you were a coach on the outside, would you be willing to take that chance?
Yeah I mean that's the problem. Most of the offensive guys we want here could only come via an offer for a head coaching job. If Moore is really as smart as everyone is making him sound then he probably is our best option given the circumstances.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I
I understand the experience angle, but his success as a QB at the pro level has absolutely zero bearing on whether he'd be a good coach or not.
Maybe.

Its interesting that Steve Young and Matt Hassleback disagree though.

They both broke down Moores inability to master basic concepts in the pro passing game, along with the inability to elevate Daks play as a QB.

Sounds like a perfect guy for an OC position.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I

Maybe.

They both broke down Moores inability to master basic concepts in the pro passing game, along with the inability to elevate Daks play as a QB.

I think history shows us that on the field performance by a QB does nothing to determine their success or failure as a coach. I guess it's an interesting theory that great players would make better coaches but we've never really seen it. I think in the classroom Moore understands all the "basic concepts" you're referencing. But when the bullets are flying and a QB has to think quickly on the field it's a little different. Especially when said QB is short, has no arm and isn't mobile.

I also question how they didn't see improvement out of Dak as the season went on. Sounds like a Joe fan type opinion. The stats say otherwise. And I think Dak got rave reviews for his understanding of the offense. But I'll just let Steve Young have his own opinion.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I have no idea but it wouldn't be someone with zero experience at position who has never had to game plan for an opponent or draw up formations.

:shrug I don't follow the game closely enough these days to know who the up and comers are like I did in the past but it wouldn't be someone with Moore's experience or lack thereof. I stand by my statement though. It's laziness by the FO and *IMO*, Moore is just another Jones family "golden child", just like Garrett. Garrett was basically anointed as a future OC/HC back when he was a backup QB. How'd that work out? OC, okay, HC, meh.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I

Maybe.

Moore would never be a good pro QB because he doesn’t have the physical attributes to make it work. Conversely he knows how to be a good quarterback he just can’t pull it off because of no arm strength or other physical drawbacks. He can however teach and plan for the sport because he has been around it all his life. This allowed him to have a successful college career but it generally accepted that without the arm college is as far as you go.

Top Bottom