10 Names To Watch In Cowboys’ Search For OC

p1_

DCC 4Life

Nick Eatman DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
Senior Manager, Digital Media

FRISCO, Texas – The Cowboys parted ways with Scott Linehan on Friday. But it’s never too early to start looking at the next option for head coach Jason Garrett and his staff.
While several names have surfaced over the weekend, this could be a little more complicated than the Cowboys simply hiring an offensive coordinator to replace Linehan.

Because the Cowboys have a few intriguing prospects already on the staff, there could be a few title changes being made to accommodate these moves and/or bring in outside help.

For example, there could be a passing game coordinator named as well as the OC. Also, an assistant head coach title could be in play.

And some of these questions could be answered by next week, considering the Cowboys’ coaching staff is headed to Orlando to coach the Pro Bowl.

But for now, it is mostly just speculation.

Here are 10 names to know that could very well be in the mix when the Cowboys decide to make these moves.

Kellen Moore – He has emerged as the favorite for the offensive coordinator position in Dallas. His relationship with Dak Prescott, which stems back to the 2016 season when Moore was injured but still on the roster, is likely a big factor in Moore’s consideration for this job. He was clearly connected with Linehan, but if he’s not named OC, he could be in line for a passing game coordinator type of role.

Doug Nussmeier – The Cowboys’ current TE coach has received some attention during this search because of his college ties. He’s been an OC/QB coach the previous 10 years at places such as Fresno State, Washington, Alabama, Michigan and Florida. A role as the passing game coordinator could be in future if he’s not the OC.

Sanjay Lal – Despite having just one year on the staff, Lal is very well-respected among his peers and his bosses. If you remember, Jerry Jones was ecstatic about the opportunity to hire Lal just last offseason.

Dowell Loggains – He was actually with the Cowboys back in 2005 in the scouting department, but has worked his way up the charts in either OC or QB coach roles. Loggains has been the OC in Tennessee, Chicago and most recently in Miami.

Jon Kitna – This name surfaced over the weekend and could be for one of the other positions under the OC. For instance, if Moore was named either offensive coordinator or passing game coordinator, Kitna could be the quarterbacks coach to help with Prescott. The former 14-year veteran quarterback spent three years with the Cowboys on two different stints. He’s currently an OC for the San Diego Fleet of the new Alliance of American Football.

Scott Turner – While his father, Norv, is one of the best offensive coordinators the Cowboys have ever had, his son has some experience in the business as well. In fact, Scott Turner coached in Carolina on two occasions and is currently the QB coach for Cam Newton with the Panthers.

James Coley – The offensive coordinator at Georgia has obviously had some success lately, helping the Bulldogs the past three seasons. His college ties are intriguing but he also has some experience in the pros. In fact, he was on the same Dolphins staff as Jason Garrett back in 2005-06 under then-head coach Nick Saban.

Todd Haley – Experience is certainly there with Haley, who was with the Cowboys under Bill Parcells from 2004-06. He’s also been an OC for the Cardinals, Steelers and Browns and was a head coach for three years in Kansas City. He was let go in mid-season by the Browns this past year.

Mike Kafka – His name has generated some buzz lately because of the success of Patrick Mahomes. Kafka, the Chiefs’ QB coach, also bounced around the NFL on seven different teams in six years. So he obviously has been exposed to several different offensive systems.

Dan Campbell – His name has been linked, mainly because of his ties to the Cowboys as a player. Campbell has been with the Saints the last three years as the tight ends coach and assistant head coach under Sean Payton. A 10-year veteran, Campbell played three years in Dallas from 2003-05, but was a teammate of Jason Garrett at the start of his career with the Giants, when Garrett was wrapping up his career.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Nick Eatman DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
Senior Manager, Digital Media

FRISCO, Texas – The Cowboys parted ways with Scott Linehan on Friday. But it’s never too early to start looking at the next option for head coach Jason Garrett and his staff.
While several names have surfaced over the weekend, this could be a little more complicated than the Cowboys simply hiring an offensive coordinator to replace Linehan.

Because the Cowboys have a few intriguing prospects already on the staff, there could be a few title changes being made to accommodate these moves and/or bring in outside help.

For example, there could be a passing game coordinator named as well as the OC. Also, an assistant head coach title could be in play.

And some of these questions could be answered by next week, considering the Cowboys’ coaching staff is headed to Orlando to coach the Pro Bowl.

But for now, it is mostly just speculation.

Here are 10 names to know that could very well be in the mix when the Cowboys decide to make these moves.

Kellen Moore – He has emerged as the favorite for the offensive coordinator position in Dallas. His relationship with Dak Prescott, which stems back to the 2016 season when Moore was injured but still on the roster, is likely a big factor in Moore’s consideration for this job. He was clearly connected with Linehan, but if he’s not named OC, he could be in line for a passing game coordinator type of role.

Doug Nussmeier – The Cowboys’ current TE coach has received some attention during this search because of his college ties. He’s been an OC/QB coach the previous 10 years at places such as Fresno State, Washington, Alabama, Michigan and Florida. A role as the passing game coordinator could be in future if he’s not the OC.

Sanjay Lal – Despite having just one year on the staff, Lal is very well-respected among his peers and his bosses. If you remember, Jerry Jones was ecstatic about the opportunity to hire Lal just last offseason.

Dowell Loggains – He was actually with the Cowboys back in 2005 in the scouting department, but has worked his way up the charts in either OC or QB coach roles. Loggains has been the OC in Tennessee, Chicago and most recently in Miami.

Jon Kitna – This name surfaced over the weekend and could be for one of the other positions under the OC. For instance, if Moore was named either offensive coordinator or passing game coordinator, Kitna could be the quarterbacks coach to help with Prescott. The former 14-year veteran quarterback spent three years with the Cowboys on two different stints. He’s currently an OC for the San Diego Fleet of the new Alliance of American Football.

Scott Turner – While his father, Norv, is one of the best offensive coordinators the Cowboys have ever had, his son has some experience in the business as well. In fact, Scott Turner coached in Carolina on two occasions and is currently the QB coach for Cam Newton with the Panthers.

James Coley – The offensive coordinator at Georgia has obviously had some success lately, helping the Bulldogs the past three seasons. His college ties are intriguing but he also has some experience in the pros. In fact, he was on the same Dolphins staff as Jason Garrett back in 2005-06 under then-head coach Nick Saban.

Todd Haley – Experience is certainly there with Haley, who was with the Cowboys under Bill Parcells from 2004-06. He’s also been an OC for the Cardinals, Steelers and Browns and was a head coach for three years in Kansas City. He was let go in mid-season by the Browns this past year.

Mike Kafka – His name has generated some buzz lately because of the success of Patrick Mahomes. Kafka, the Chiefs’ QB coach, also bounced around the NFL on seven different teams in six years. So he obviously has been exposed to several different offensive systems.

Dan Campbell – His name has been linked, mainly because of his ties to the Cowboys as a player. Campbell has been with the Saints the last three years as the tight ends coach and assistant head coach under Sean Payton. A 10-year veteran, Campbell played three years in Dallas from 2003-05, but was a teammate of Jason Garrett at the start of his career with the Giants, when Garrett was wrapping up his career.
The majority of that list I absolutely hate. I think I'll go with James Coley as offensive coordinator with Kellen Moore being bumped as a "passing game coordinator" if I had to pick from that list. I guess Scott Turner could be tempting but probably mostly because of his dad Norv's name attached to him. And even then it just feels like we are grasping for the 90's offense again. Mike Kafka sounds interesting but only because he has the Andy Reid background but I wonder how much he has been able to learn in a short time.

2233boys

Not So New Member
If it is Kellen Moore I am done with this team. Seriously. I won't watch another game. That's just retarded.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Wow. Really impressive names. All coaches who have been dumpster-dived by other teams or have Dallas pedigrees through 20-plus years of failure.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
With a list of names like that you have to assume that Carrot is returning to the HC/OC role and the guy hired will in name only OC.

p1_

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Kellen Moore On ESPN 's Gruden's QB Camp[/h]

p1_

DCC 4Life
Gut Feeling: The Linehan Decision; What’s Next?

On Friday, the Cowboys announced that Scott Linehan will no longer be the offensive coordinator. There wasn’t a press release, but just a statement from Jason Garrett, who called it a “mutual decision” for both parties.

The staff writers of DallasCowboys.com each offered their opinion on the decision and perhaps some insight on what the Cowboys might do moving forward.

Lindsay Draper: After winning the division in 3 of the last 5 seasons, the offense will be going in a new direction. All I can say is, I hope the next move works out favorably for the pieces on this offense. Because despite the frustrating feeling that the Cowboys were not living up to their full potential at times, you can’t deny they had some strong successes as well.

David Helman: This news isn’t surprising, so I didn’t need to spend a ton of time processing it. My big question now is: where do the Cowboys go? This is unfamiliar territory, given how long it’s been since the Cowboys changed out a coordinator. A lot of the big hirings have already been made in this coaching cycle, so I’m not convinced there’s a ton of amazing outside candidates. Perhaps the staffs working in the AFC and NFC titles games have a promising prospect. Kansas City quarterbacks coach Mike Kafka comes to mind, as does New Orleans quarterbacks coach Joe Lombardi. Maybe Todd Haley would be interested in returning? I have no idea. To be completely honest, I won’t be surprised at all if Jason Garrett decides to fill the role from within. Doug Nussmeier has been an offensive coordinator at some of the biggest college programs in the country, including Alabama, and he’s already on staff. In a situation where there’s not an obvious replacement, that’s a decision that’d make a lot of sense.

Rob Phillips: Quick, name one major improvement that needs to take place for the Cowboys to take a step forward in 2019. Ask most people who follow this team and I bet you get a lot of this answer in some form: “Score more points.” The NFL’s four highest-scoring teams are the four playoff teams left. Overall, Scott Linehan had a very positive impact on a team that won three division titles in five years. He also helped Dak Prescott make a smooth transition to the NFL. I hope that doesn’t get lost here. But while the offense looked more efficient since Amari Cooper’s arrival, they averaged roughly 22 points in those final 11 games. Clearly the goal is to ratchet that up in 2019.

Nick Eatman: I’ve said this plenty of times over the last two months and I’ll say it again here – Scott Linehan and Dak Prescott just weren’t good for each other. And if you’re keeping one, sure you go with the young, talented QB who already has 33 games in three years. But to me, this just wasn’t a great marriage because Dak needed an offensive system that allows me to utilize his running game more. And yeah, you can say that it was Scott’s play-calling that allowed Dak to win those games, but let’s face it, when the defensive coordinators forced this team to have to pass, the Cowboys just couldn’t do it. Dak needs a play-caller that won’t shy away from the run. And Linehan needed a quarterback that is more accurate. He schemed some nice plays that just weren’t executed for whatever reason. Let’s not forget Linehan got here to run a system for Romo and it was really good in 2014 and that’s the only time we got to see that pairing. So the fact that it went this long is actually a bit surprising. I think this move will be good for the Cowboys if they can get a play-caller who will emphasize Dak’s mobility a little more.

Bryan Broaddus: Guess I shouldn’t have been surprised that Scott Linehan was removed as the offensive coordinator. With Jerry and Stephen Jones coming out this week and saying that there needs to be improvement with the offense, something had to be done. I came out strong saying that I would have kept the staff together and then made the clean sweep if things didn’t work out. I don’t know what the future is going to hold now. Does Doug Nussmeier get the job or does Garrett look to the outside? I feel like Nussmeier is going to get this job with some imput from Garrett and the other staff members. Nussmeier will give Garrett what he wants: an understanding of the offense with a few more wrinkles. Coaches don’t like change and this route I believe will be give Jason Garrett the most comfort.

Mickey Spagnola: So, I’m surprised but not surprised the Cowboys have decided to part ways with offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, especially since this offense made great strides the second half of the season. And before any of us can make a proper assessment of this move, we all have to know what’s the next move. Are the Cowboys bringing in a stranger from outside, and with Jason Garrett heading into the last year of his contract that would be unfair if his fate is tied to a first-time offensive coordinator? Or does Cowboys owner Jerry Jones think this Cowboys offense would be in better hands with Garrett calling the plays, then hiring or promoting an assistant to be more of the day-to-day coordinator, sort of the way it was when he first became the head coach? That sure has occurred to me. Because if you look around the league, and see who these teams hiring new OCs, the conventional way, are hiring, it’s not like the Cowboys have missed out of some big opportunities. Lot of retreads out there. Maybe Jerry has something up his sleeve. Next move qualifies this move.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll take the Chiefs or Saints QB coaches and be thrilled. But I'm sure we won't. Shit I'd rather Moore than Nussmeier.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think he would make for an excellent coach. He could even help the defensive side of the ball in terms of diagnosing plays before they happen. I'd take him as my offensive coordinator right now.
Sure, but you can just rest easy knowing there is no way in hell Romo is coming back to Dallas in any capacity.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Sure, but you can just rest easy knowing there is no way in hell Romo is coming back to Dallas in any capacity.
I think Romo would easily come back to Dallas if he had any inclination to coach.

But conversely, people need to stop deluding themselves into thinking he is ever going to be a coach. He's not. The job he has now is a thousand times better than being a coach.

Being a coach is a thankless job unless you win the Super Bowl, and even that only buys you a a few years of credit. It has long, long hours, and unless you are the head coach, you don't even get paid all that much.

Romo is probably making $2m or more a year right now, with the potential for that to be MUCH higher, if it's not already. Apparently Witten was offered $4m a year from ESPN, but that sounds like a desperation move. Still, if Romo is making a penny less than $1.5m a year, I'd be shocked; it's probably more like $2m or $3m, and now that he's gotten such widespread praise, his next contract with CBS will probably be more in the realm of $6m a year or more. Gruden was getting $6.5m a year from ESPN I think.

And what does he have to do for that money? He wakes up Monday morning at 9 am in his own bed. He plays with his kids. He has free time to go shopping with his wife. CBS hand delivers him game film to watch at his leisure during the week. He probably does it with his buddies in his giant man cave with beer on tap. He takes some notes and relies on his expertise to explain concepts to viewers like a math major would explain addition and subtraction to first graders. He flies out of town on Saturday, does a broadcast Sunday, takes the red-eye, and is home by Monday morning. He probably has so much time, he can golf whenever he wants, and what's more, CBS may help nudge him into golfing at some point, or at least let him call golf events. And this rigorous schedule he's on.... he only has to do it from September to January.

And on top of it all, he's so young that he can do this for 30 years and actually have a shot at the NFL Hall of Fame as a BROADCASTER, like John Madden.

Or.... he could go coach. He could work 100 hours a week. Rarely see his family. Be gone essentially 7-8 months out of the year. Spend the other 4-5 months hunkered down trying to come up with personnel and scheme edges. Make in the hundreds of thousands of dollars a year (maybe $500k) if he's a position coach. Maybe grind his way up to coordinator after a few years, if he's successful, where he can make $1m-$2m a year, if he's one of the best. Hope that in some amount of time, he can get a shot as a head coach, where he can have all the pressure and the same work schedule, for maybe $5m-$7m a year, but with the near guarantee that unless he is a one-in-a-hundred head coach, he'll probably be fired and ruin his reputation with the fan base within a half decade or so.

I mean, it's a no brainer.

Tony Romo has been handed a golden ticket, and he's pretty good at it.

He's never, ever going to be a coach.

Forget his "burning competitive desire." Yeah, he had it, just like almost all athletes at this level have it, but this is no Jerry Rice or Michael Irvin (and even they aren't coaches; Irvin is also a broadcaster). But this is also a guy that said "If [losing] is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'll have lived a good life." He'll get his competition in from golfing or going to play in poker tournaments, or just trying to be the best broadcaster he can be, or something like that.

He's not coming back to coach. The gig he has is too sweet.

Same reason Witten bailed.

Is being a coach, working all those hours, worth it for $400k, $500k? For almost everyone else, absolutely it's worth it. That's an insane amount of money, and even though coaching is a grind, you can't make that money anywhere else, and at the end of the day, the job isn't rocket science. It's hard, but it's something that they can't make more money doing anything easier.

But it's not a good deal for a broadcaster who has already been handed the keys to the kingdom by CBS. He's part of the family now. The world is his oyster. The perks of being a leading man for a massively rich television network are nearly endless. You'd be a fool to give it up, and Romo won't.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think Romo would easily come back to Dallas if he had any inclination to coach.

But conversely, people need to stop deluding themselves into thinking he is ever going to be a coach. He's not. The job he has now is a thousand times better than being a coach.

Being a coach is a thankless job unless you win the Super Bowl, and even that only buys you a a few years of credit. It has long, long hours, and unless you are the head coach, you don't even get paid all that much.

Romo is probably making $2m or more a year right now, with the potential for that to be MUCH higher, if it's not already. Apparently Witten was offered $4m a year from ESPN, but that sounds like a desperation move. Still, if Romo is making a penny less than $1.5m a year, I'd be shocked; it's probably more like $2m or $3m, and now that he's gotten such widespread praise, his next contract with CBS will probably be more in the realm of $6m a year or more. Gruden was getting $6.5m a year from ESPN I think.

And what does he have to do for that money? He wakes up Monday morning at 9 am in his own bed. He plays with his kids. He has free time to go shopping with his wife. CBS hand delivers him game film to watch at his leisure during the week. He probably does it with his buddies in his giant man cave with beer on tap. He takes some notes and relies on his expertise to explain concepts to viewers like a math major would explain addition and subtraction to first graders. He flies out of town on Saturday, does a broadcast Sunday, takes the red-eye, and is home by Monday morning. He probably has so much time, he can golf whenever he wants, and what's more, CBS may help nudge him into golfing at some point, or at least let him call golf events. And this rigorous schedule he's on.... he only has to do it from September to January.

And on top of it all, he's so young that he can do this for 30 years and actually have a shot at the NFL Hall of Fame as a BROADCASTER, like John Madden.

Or.... he could go coach. He could work 100 hours a week. Rarely see his family. Be gone essentially 7-8 months out of the year. Spend the other 4-5 months hunkered down trying to come up with personnel and scheme edges. Make in the hundreds of thousands of dollars a year (maybe $500k) if he's a position coach. Maybe grind his way up to coordinator after a few years, if he's successful, where he can make $1m-$2m a year, if he's one of the best. Hope that in some amount of time, he can get a shot as a head coach, where he can have all the pressure and the same work schedule, for maybe $5m-$7m a year, but with the near guarantee that unless he is a one-in-a-hundred head coach, he'll probably be fired and ruin his reputation with the fan base within a half decade or so.

I mean, it's a no brainer.

Tony Romo has been handed a golden ticket, and he's pretty good at it.

He's never, ever going to be a coach.

Forget his "burning competitive desire." Yeah, he had it, just like almost all athletes at this level have it, but this is no Jerry Rice or Michael Irvin (and even they aren't coaches; Irvin is also a broadcaster). But this is also a guy that said "If [losing] is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'll have lived a good life." He'll get his competition in from golfing or going to play in poker tournaments, or just trying to be the best broadcaster he can be, or something like that.

He's not coming back to coach. The gig he has is too sweet.

Same reason Witten bailed.

Is being a coach, working all those hours, worth it for $400k, $500k? For almost everyone else, absolutely it's worth it. That's an insane amount of money, and even though coaching is a grind, you can't make that money anywhere else, and at the end of the day, the job isn't rocket science. It's hard, but it's something that they can't make more money doing anything easier.

But it's not a good deal for a broadcaster who has already been handed the keys to the kingdom by CBS. He's part of the family now. The world is his oyster. The perks of being a leading man for a massively rich television network are nearly endless. You'd be a fool to give it up, and Romo won't.
All those words just to essentially say, "I agree". :lol

Top Bottom