Conference Round Chatter Thread | Rams @ Saints & Patriots @ Chiefs | 01/20/19

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have zero interest in watching this Super Bowl.

I realize that there is this old school vs. new school vibe and shit.

I am sorry. I am not dancing to this rigged shit tune.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Damn Mahomes is smart. Knew clock would stop on flag. Holy crap. Kid is a stud.
Anybody that's watched more than a game or two of football knows the clock stops on a penalty. I would hope that a guy that plays the game for a living would.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

I might flip in and out but eff it, I've got more important things on my mind. Just hand the trophy to NE before the game and call it a night.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I might flip in and out but eff it, I've got more important things on my mind. Just hand the trophy to NE before the game and call it a night.
Just wait, when the Rams win the Superbowl Jerry will celebrate that we lost to the best team in the NFL.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

I’m still stunned at the screw job the refs laid on the Saints. How in the fuck do they let that shit go?

deadrise

DCC 4Life
What was fascinating was watching both teams adjust -- the chess game. KC was getting run over on the first drive, then made an adjustment, etc. It went back and forth. Two real coaches, two real coaching staffs.

Garrett's coaching is so inferior to either of those teams it's laughable.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
[h=1]Tony Romo brilliantly saw several key Patriots plays coming down the stretch in AFC Championship win over Chiefs[/h] In 2017, Tony Romo drew plenty of praise for his first season as a color commentator with CBS, especially with his ability to see and call plays before they happen. And during Sunday night’s Patriots-Chiefs AFC Championship Game broadcast on CBS, the former quarterback put his clairvoyance on full display.

The Chiefs could’ve really used Romo as their defensive coordinator, because he knew what the Patriots were going to do on many plays late in the fourth quarter and in overtime in New England’s 37-31 win.

We’ll start with 3:50 remaining in regulation, when the Patriots trailed 21-17 and had 4th-and-inches at the Kansas City 10-yard line. Tom Brady’s known for being very good at the QB Sneak, and Patriots running back Rex Burkhead was stuffed on 4th-and-1 earlier in the game. So, the QB Sneak seemed like it had to be the call this time, and Romo said as much when New England approached the line.

But then Romo noticed Tom Brady changing the play at the line of scrimmage: “Oh, they’re killing it. Usually means a motion and a run out wide to the right.”

That’s exactly what happened. Rob Gronkowski went in motion to the right side of the line, and helped open up an outside running lane for Sony Michel, who went untouched for an easy touchdown run.

With 54 seconds left in the quarter, the Patriots trailed 28-24, and faced a 3rd-and-5 at the Kansas City 29-yard line.

Romo: “I gotta put Gronkowski out wide. He’s your guy when it’s one-on-one. They finally got him, there he is.”

Brady indeed went to Gronkowski for a 25-yard completion.

In overtime, the Patriots had 3rd-and-9 at their own 35-yard line.

Romo: “They gotta block the front. If Gronk’s not outside, you gotta chip with him, chip with him (highlighting the running back), and throw to Edelman over the middle of the field.”

Brady hit Edelman over the middle of the field for a 20-yard gain.

Later in the drive, the Patriots had the ball at the Chiefs’ 30-yard line on 3rd-and-10.

Romo: “Gronk is out wide. Watch the top of the screen. Watch the safety. If he (the safety) comes down, there’s a good chance he (Brady) is throwing out there.”

Brady and Gronkowski connected for a crucial 15-yard play, on what would turn out to be the final pass of the game.

And on 2nd-and-Goal at the 2, Romo said, “New England tried the play-action earlier. I can’t see it here. This has to be a run.”

Rex Burkhead then carried the ball into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown to put New England in the Super Bowl.

Twitter was blown away by Romo’s work on the night. Here are some examples:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/tony-romo-brilliantly-saw-several-key-patriots-plays-coming-down-the-stretch-in-afc-championship-win-over-chiefs/ar-BBSwqZT?li=BBnb7Kz

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Reid is now 0-5 in conference championship games. It's only his first loss in the AFC championship game so I guess there's that.
No he's not. He won in 2004, when the Eagles went on to lose to the Pats in the Super Bowl.

data

Forbes #1
The dropped mic was his critique of his performance. He screwed it up and he knew it. Dropping the mic was his way of saying, sorry I’m done.
Did Buffet state that he apologized by dropping the mic?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Clete Blakeman has always irritated me. Hopefully that game last night means I won't have to see him in any big games for a while.

I actually don't hate the Patriots as much as most dynasties, but I'm so sick of them. Their winning almost ruined the Superbowl for me.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Tony Romo brilliantly saw several key Patriots plays coming down the stretch in AFC Championship win over Chiefs[/h] In 2017, Tony Romo drew plenty of praise for his first season as a color commentator with CBS, especially with his ability to see and call plays before they happen. And during Sunday night’s Patriots-Chiefs AFC Championship Game broadcast on CBS, the former quarterback put his clairvoyance on full display.

The Chiefs could’ve really used Romo as their defensive coordinator, because he knew what the Patriots were going to do on many plays late in the fourth quarter and in overtime in New England’s 37-31 win.

We’ll start with 3:50 remaining in regulation, when the Patriots trailed 21-17 and had 4th-and-inches at the Kansas City 10-yard line. Tom Brady’s known for being very good at the QB Sneak, and Patriots running back Rex Burkhead was stuffed on 4th-and-1 earlier in the game. So, the QB Sneak seemed like it had to be the call this time, and Romo said as much when New England approached the line.

But then Romo noticed Tom Brady changing the play at the line of scrimmage: “Oh, they’re killing it. Usually means a motion and a run out wide to the right.”

That’s exactly what happened. Rob Gronkowski went in motion to the right side of the line, and helped open up an outside running lane for Sony Michel, who went untouched for an easy touchdown run.

With 54 seconds left in the quarter, the Patriots trailed 28-24, and faced a 3rd-and-5 at the Kansas City 29-yard line.

Romo: “I gotta put Gronkowski out wide. He’s your guy when it’s one-on-one. They finally got him, there he is.”

Brady indeed went to Gronkowski for a 25-yard completion.

In overtime, the Patriots had 3rd-and-9 at their own 35-yard line.

Romo: “They gotta block the front. If Gronk’s not outside, you gotta chip with him, chip with him (highlighting the running back), and throw to Edelman over the middle of the field.”

Brady hit Edelman over the middle of the field for a 20-yard gain.

Later in the drive, the Patriots had the ball at the Chiefs’ 30-yard line on 3rd-and-10.

Romo: “Gronk is out wide. Watch the top of the screen. Watch the safety. If he (the safety) comes down, there’s a good chance he (Brady) is throwing out there.”

Brady and Gronkowski connected for a crucial 15-yard play, on what would turn out to be the final pass of the game.

And on 2nd-and-Goal at the 2, Romo said, “New England tried the play-action earlier. I can’t see it here. This has to be a run.”

Rex Burkhead then carried the ball into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown to put New England in the Super Bowl.

Twitter was blown away by Romo’s work on the night. Here are some examples:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/tony-romo-brilliantly-saw-several-key-patriots-plays-coming-down-the-stretch-in-afc-championship-win-over-chiefs/ar-BBSwqZT?li=BBnb7Kz
Gotta give Romo credit. He really makes it fun to watch.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I wish he'd control his emotions. He's like an excited little kid in the booth when the game gets tense. Leave the "Isn't this great?" theatrics to Flounder.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I wish he'd control his emotions. He's like an excited little kid in the booth when the game gets tense. Leave the "Isn't this great?" theatrics to Flounder.
I think his emotions are part of what makes it so much fun to listen to him. It shows just how much he loves the game. It's refreshing.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think his emotions are part of what makes it so much fun to listen to him. It shows just how much he loves the game. It's refreshing.
I agree. Let the grouchy listeners watch with the volume down.

Top Bottom