Linehan fired

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yep he’s gone. How happy are we going to be with his replacement?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The way he talks there is literally nothing like the offense we run. I don't think Kellen Moore is a dumb guy at all. I just wish he would actually get some experience before he is handed the keys to an offense.

p1_

DCC 4Life
[SUP]I wonder if Dak was one of the players asked about Linehan's offense.[/SUP]

p1_

DCC 4Life
The way he talks there is literally nothing like the offense we run. I don't think Kellen Moore is a dumb guy at all. I just wish he would actually get some experience before he is handed the keys to an offense.
makes you wonder if Linehan didn't want to hear it. That would explain the reason it sounds so opposite from what weve had to endure.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
makes you wonder if Linehan didn't want to hear it. That would explain the reason it sounds so opposite from what weve had to endure.
My guess is Moore probably got a couple plays in there but in the end it was Linehan calling the plays. Sort of makes me wonder if those few plays that we watched and sort of went "Wow that one actually looks like it was really well designed" and then it was never called again or built off of by other plays was sort of the work of someone like Moore behind the scenes.

It was like every once in awhile you'd see that flash of a great play and then it would quickly disappear. I guess it's just sort of blind hope on my part but I definitely don't think those plays were the work of Linehan. He was just too vanilla.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
David Moore just had a great segment on the Ticket saying exactly what many of us have thought:

- Linehan was working totally within the parameters Garrett set up
- the boring basic offense is Garrett -- Linehan had some of the top passing offenses in the league at Detroit
- the idea of bringing in a Kingbury type (e.g.) with a different system is not going to happen with Garrett here
- about the most you can hope for is a Moore adding some wrinkles to the system here, but not much will change overall
- this team is averse to bringing in "outsiders" with new and different ideas on offense
- Garrett has had 18 assistant coaches since he got here and none have gone on to a promotion in the NFL.

Happy Monday!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
David Moore just had a great segment on the Ticket saying exactly what many of us have thought:

- the boring basic offense is Garrett -- Linehan had some of the top passing offenses in the league at Detroit
- the idea of bringing in a Kingbury type (e.g.) with a different system is not going to happen with Garrett here
- about the most you can hope for is a Moore adding some wrinkles to the system here, but not much will change overall
- this team is averse to bringing in "outsiders" with new and different ideas on offense
- Garrett has had 18 assistant coaches since he got here and none have gone on to a promotion in the NFL.

Happy Monday!
:budd

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Happy Monday!
There is no question that Linehan was using Garrett's play book. I think the argument could be made though that Linehan didn't really use the whole playbook as a play caller. He got too stuck in running the same plays over and over. A new offensive coordinator can at least at some wrinkles or motions to the offense to make things look different and confuse the defense while running the same plays. Watching the Cowboys games it seems like 90% of the plays were called from like 10% of the playbook. It made us extremely predictable.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
There is no question that Linehan was using Garrett's play book. I think the argument could be made though that Linehan didn't really use the whole playbook as a play caller. He got too stuck in running the same plays over and over. A new offensive coordinator can at least at some wrinkles or motions to the offense to make things look different and confuse the defense while running the same plays. Watching the Cowboys games it seems like 90% of the plays were called from like 10% of the playbook. It made us extremely predictable.
But Moore's point is, he did that because that's the way Garrett wanted it. And if you just use someone from the same system, that's probably how the next guy will be, too.

GShock

DCC 4Life

Happy Monday!
:mad

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But Moore's point is, he did that because that's the way Garrett wanted it. And if you just use someone from the same system, that's probably how the next guy will be, too.
Is it though? I mean our offense looked totally different before Linehan got here. I mean when he took over in 2014 things looked totally different on offense. And frankly in a good way. It didn't look like the same thing we were doing with Garrett. Now eventually that offense has become stale and predictable but Linehan definitely left his own stamp on the offense. Otherwise everything would have looked the same before and during Linehan's career here.

This season is the closest we have had to a 4,000 yard passer since Linehan has gotten here. Including the 2014 season with Tony Romo. Prior to that Romo had thrown for nearly 5,000 yards in some seasons. At minimum Linehan turned us into a ground and pound ball control offense that we had never been before he got here. That wasn't Garrett.

p1_

DCC 4Life
so, is Garrett going into his final year of his current contract and he's gonna give the reins to the kid, but call plays on gameday? Brass balls?

DLK150

DCC 4Life
so, is Garrett going into his final year of his current contract and he's gonna give the reins to the kid, but call plays on gameday? Brass balls?
Stupid?

Either way, I don't expect much to change. Mediocrity mixed with a good year now and then, topped by an early playoff exit. I hate to sound jaded but that's just how I feel about it, it's not like we're dealing with a small sample size.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Is it though? I mean our offense looked totally different before Linehan got here. I mean when he took over in 2014 things looked totally different on offense. And frankly in a good way. It didn't look like the same thing we were doing with Garrett. Now eventually that offense has become stale and predictable but Linehan definitely left his own stamp on the offense. Otherwise everything would have looked the same before and during Linehan's career here.

This season is the closest we have had to a 4,000 yard passer since Linehan has gotten here. Including the 2014 season with Tony Romo. Prior to that Romo had thrown for nearly 5,000 yards in some seasons. At minimum Linehan turned us into a ground and pound ball control offense that we had never been before he got here. That wasn't Garrett.
I agree we never ran the ball with any consistency until Linehan, but that doesn't mean the Xs and Os or system were any different, it just means they called more run plays. I do give Linehan credit for convincing Romo to stick with the run even when we were down.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree we never ran the ball with any consistency until Linehan, but that doesn't mean the Xs and Os or system were any different, it just means they called more run plays. I do give Linehan credit for convincing Romo to stick with the run even when we were down.
I think the term "system" is over used these days. Most teams are working with the same basic plays. It's the motions and other stuff that differentiates one from another.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Happy Monday!
All the same shit I've been saying about our offense and about Garrett for years now.

Even if Kellen Moore ended up being another Sean McVay, it wouldn't matter because he doesn't have the skins on the wall to be given full autonomy of the offense.

Until Garrett is fired or he is forced to give up control of the offense, nothing will change.

Top Bottom