Linehan fired

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Ask Bill Belichik. He fired an O Line coach THE NEXT DAY.
Meh.

I'm not concerned. They had to make a decision and they made the right one. The coordinators I'd be interested in are still out there.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't be surprised if we bring in a guy from college.
While I agree that Nussmier would be the conservative, boring move, and thus the one that would most fit with the Garrett administration (rocking the boat the least), I think the rumors of them looking at coaches under contract with other teams makes promoting Nussmier unlikely, and makes the promotion of Moore downright impossible.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I said Todd Haley the other day.

I think that makes a lot of sense. Not quite as exciting as I'd want, but he's got familiarity with the organization, Garrett doesn't really have to worry about him as a hot name to supplant him, and he can also easily be fired next year and land on his feet if we decide we need a new administration. Also, he worked with Roethlisberger, and surely there are some comparisons to be made there with Prescott.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If this is true, that would make you think that it's gonna be Nussmier.

What coordinator takes on a growing QB with a complete dweeb Linehan sycophant as QB coach ?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The one hope we have is that this spells the end to Garrett's offensive scheme. If we hire externally, then that hope gets brighter. If it's an internal promotion, it will be the same old same old.
While I've been vocal in saying I'd pack Garrett up myself if we could get Riley or Payton, I will say this.

I think it's being tremendously underrated how much, if we get a good OC to match Richard the DC, that Garrett can do the CEO things and this could be a surprisingly good team. We'll see. It could happen.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Ask Bill Belichik. He fired an O Line coach THE NEXT DAY after a bad O Line showing in a playoff game.
I wanted Linehan to be gone immediately after the final game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The lack of creativity was a problem long before Linehan ever join the team.

That's on your boy.

And that's exactly why we need a real OC and one who isn't forced to hold onto anything from Garrett's awful system.
I mean, I couldn't possibly have been clearer the past few days that I think the only move is either going out and making a splash HC hire right now (which is clearly not in the cards), or, in the alternative, signing Garrett to a short extension, giving him an innovative coordinator (or at least someone with some new ideas), and re-evaluating in just one more year on the entire staff.

p1_

DCC 4Life
And now he is.

So I fail to see what the big fuss is.
No fuss from me, just happy.

Question now is, how does the fact that Garrett hasnt been extended yet impact this process?

Also, this looks to be a Jerry move, in spite of Garrett's loyalty to Linehan. Garrett is on notice.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If you know that you aren't able to steal away Payton this year, and you're not going to try to get (or can't get) Lincoln Riley, then the move is short Garrett extension, find a bright OC with fresh ideas, and revisit it again next year.

The day will come when Payton is available or Riley wants to come to the NFL or something. And unless Garrett is fresh off an NFC title, you'll have cause to fire him for lack of progress at that time.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

I think that makes a lot of sense. Not quite as exciting as I'd want, but he's got familiarity with the organization, Garrett doesn't really have to worry about him as a hot name to supplant him, and he can also easily be fired next year and land on his feet if we decide we need a new administration. Also, he worked with Roethlisberger, and surely there are some comparisons to be made there with Prescott.
After Hard Knocks, milquetoast Garrett won't want anyone like that in his inner circle. Also, coaches with strong personalities who soak up the limelight won't work with Jerry. And Big Bill isn't there to vouch for Haley this time.

p1_

DCC 4Life

I love how they see right through Garrett's lame coachspeak.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

That would be a hard no on Rat Salad.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Everyone prepare for Doug Nussmier to be named....

Top Bottom