Report: Cowboys checked out mystery coach in last 48 hours

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
"All Jerry wants to do is win at all costs."
Well the other problem is Payton is under contract. So Jerry can't tell him now he wants him without it being tampering. And Payton isn't going to opt out not knowing if Jerry has a HC spot for him.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It seems crazy to me that a man who would spend a small fortune if there was no cap would draw a line in the sand with a coaches contract where there are no restrictions. Honestly with the salary cap the biggest difference between teams over a period of time is the coach.
It does, but this is Jerry, who brags about having an ancient pickup at this duck hunting lodge and always turning out the lights when he leaves a room.

I think a lot of it goes back to his "500 coaches" comment. That wasn't just a dig at Jimmy. Jerry thinks players win and coaching isn't really that important. Plus I'm sure there's an element where he'll get credit for good GMing if they win after signing Deion to a record contract.

Also, to address the tampering concern... these guys are friends. They have ways of communicating through back channels. For that matter, even coaches and owners who aren't friends have ways of doing that.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It seems crazy to me that a man who would spend a small fortune if there was no cap would draw a line in the sand with a coaches contract where there are no restrictions. Honestly with the salary cap the biggest difference between teams over a period of time is the coach.
Because the focus will be on Payton and not Jerry.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Most seem to think it was DeFillipo.
Interesting that it would be him when he just agreed to be the OC of the Jags. How could we even get him as OC here? He'd need a promotion.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Interesting that it would be him when he just agreed to be the OC of the Jags. How could we even get him as OC here? He'd need a promotion.
I think the article was indicating that the person they met with took a gig AFTER meeting with the Cowboys.

Well the other problem is Payton is under contract. So Jerry can't tell him now he wants him without it being tampering. And Payton isn't going to opt out not knowing if Jerry has a HC spot for him.
How would the NFL know about any contact? I’m sure neither person would tell them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How would the NFL know about any contact? I’m sure neither person would tell them.
Drunk Jerry can't keep his mouth shut and if Sean Payton made the move I'm sure it would be suspicious. But yeah I mean they could. Tampering goes on with players too I'm sure through back channels.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Does tampering apply to coach contracts? It may just involve player contracts. I've never head a team punishing for tampering with a coach contract.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does tampering apply to coach contracts? It may just involve player contracts. I've never head a team punishing for tampering with a coach contract.
It does, I found the rule. You have to get permission first and the head coachs team can't still be playing.

junk

Not So New Member
No, he wouldn't. Although Dallas is usually tight against the cap, it's mainly due to the odd things they do to "manage" the cap.

As far as actual spending on player salaries, Dallas is near the bottom of the league.

25th from 2013 to 2016
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...-eagles-arent/

30th in 2018
https://overthecap.com/2018-spending-on-nfl-rosters/

The Jones family cares far more about profit than actually winning.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As far as actual spending on player salaries, Dallas is near the bottom of the league.

25th from 2013 to 2016
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...-eagles-arent/

30th in 2018
https://overthecap.com/2018-spending-on-nfl-rosters/

The Jones family cares far more about profit than actually winning.
The reason he was tight against the cap in the past is because he spent the money at one point. But those are the long term effects of Romo's contract among others. We are finally past that which is why we should have a ton of cap space. Of course Lawrence, Cooper and Dak will eat that up quickly. You're talking probably 36 mil or more just between Cooper and Lawrence on average.

If there were no cap restrictions I have no doubt Jerry would splurge.

junk

Not So New Member
The reason he was tight against the cap in the past is because he spent the money at one point. But those are the long term effects of Romo's contract among others. We are finally past that which is why we should have a ton of cap space. Of course Lawrence, Cooper and Dak will eat that up quickly. You're talking probably 36 mil or more just between Cooper and Lawrence on average.

If there were no cap restrictions I have no doubt Jerry would splurge.
That is why I put "manage" in caps. With all their restructures, they are continually pushing a pile of dead money year after year. Dead money counts against the cap which means less you can spend on a year to year basis. We have data showing they are among the bottom third of the league in spend since 2013. That's a long time to be "salary cap constrained"

There's no doubt Jerry used to shell out the bucks for players, but that's obviously changed. Look at their comments on free agency year after year. They aren't big spenders anymore.

Which isn't always a bad thing - New England is notoriously frugal and have stayed more than competitive.

So, it's either one of two things. They are trying to be smart, although somewhat clumsily in my opinion, or they're just happy having a sort of competitive team that fills the stadium and allows them to keep profits high.

Based upon the things they've done over the last decade or so, I think winning is secondary.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, it's either one of two things. They are trying to be smart, although somewhat clumsily in my opinion, or they're just happy having a sort of competitive team that fills the stadium and allows them to keep profits high.

Based upon the things they've done over the last decade or so, I think winning is secondary.
Or that they realized you can't afford big money in free agency and maintain your roster under the current cap. So they pick and choose wisely. It all comes down to how you deal with the salary cap.

junk

Not So New Member
Or that they realized you can't afford big money in free agency and maintain your roster under the current cap. So they pick and choose wisely. It all comes down to how you deal with the salary cap.
They aren't even spending big money. They just flat out aren't spending money. Bottom third of the league since 2013.

I do thinking trying to build your team through free agency is a losing proposition. But you can supplement your team through free agency and push a team over the top. Dallas doesn't even seem inclined to do that.

Top Bottom