Report: Cowboys checked out mystery coach in last 48 hours

p1_

DCC 4Life

The Dallas Cowboys first claimed they were not making any coaching staff changes, and then quickly backtracked by saying that things were hardly settled on their staff heading into 2019. Owner Jerry Jones followed up comments made by his son and executive vice president Stephen Jones that the club was open to making a few changes, but hinting that things could still change when the conference championships have played out. He didn’t say anything was imminent, just that the landscape was changing.

Apparently, things were moving even before the coaching staffs of the final four teams were made available. According to former ESPN reporter Ed Werder, Dallas did indeed reach out to an already available coach about a position with the organization. Whether or not they made an offer and were rebuked, or decided against bringing the coach on board is a mystery, but Werder says contact was made with a mystery guy.

So, of course, the question becomes, which coach was hired by another team in the last 48 hours?
Here are the candidates in order of who makes the most sense.

John DeFilippo, Jacksonville Jaguars

DeFilippo was fired midseason by the Minnesota Vikings. He was called out publicly by head coach Mike Zimmer for not running the ball enough and wanting to rely on the team’s $28 million arm of Kirk Cousins. He came from the Eagles’ Super Bowl championship staff as QB coach that helped Carson Wentz turn the corner and rejuvenated Nick Foles career. [HR][/HR]Darrell Bevell, Detroit Lions

Bevell was Pete Carroll’s offensive coordinator since 2011 before moving on this offseason. That means that he and Kris Richard are both intimately knowledgeable of each other and the latter could’ve been a sounding board on whether it was a good idea to add Bevell to the mix. [HR][/HR]Rich Scangarello, Denver Broncos

Scangarello got a lot of press for his work as quarterback coach in San Francisco, most notably for getting 49ers second-year UDFA Nick Mullens on the path to success. Denver brought him in as their OC on Wednesday. [HR][/HR]Again, there’s no signal whether or not an offer was made, or what the results of the inquiry were, or even if they were offering a chance to be the team’s offensive coordinator. It’s easy to make assumptions based on personal wishes, but nothing has been framed as such. The only thing known is Dallas reached out in some way to someone who has signed with another organization, and the three above names are the offensive coaches who have signed somewhere in the last 48 hours.

Heck, it could even be a defensive coach, as far-fetched as that seems.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The Linehan noose draws tight.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Whoever it was must have told Jerry to get fucked.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Most seem to think it was DeFillipo.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Sean Payton & The Cowboys? What We Know - And Have Always Known

January 17, 2019 - 5:35 pm

By Josh Clark and Mike Fisher DALLAS (105.3 The Fan) - Jerry Jones has always had an affinity for New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton and 105.3 The Fan has pointed it out on several occasions in the past year, dating back to February 2018 when we suggested that whenever Jason Garrett runs out of gas here, Payton would be a leading candidate to be his successor.

So, when Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk wrote an article Wednesday about the idea that the Cowboys could possibly be waiting to commit to Jason Garrett and his coaching staff because they want to see if Payton becomes available, it catches our attention — well, “re-catches,” actually, inasmuch as we’re the first ones to have brought it to anybody’s attention at all.

Florio notes accurately that Payton has neither said nor done anything publicly to suggest an inclination to leave the Saints. However, Florio advises to never discount Jones when he has his eyes on making a big move.

That leads us to what we at 105.3 The Fan know about Sean Payton when it relates to the Cowboys. ... Things that we’ve always known, that our audience has always known, and that maybe the national audience is just now.

Look at our tweet from February 2018:
h.m/fishsports/status/1085894130671050753

How about a word from our man and DallasCowboys.com analyst and scout Bryan Broaddus? Broaddus, a former co-worker of Payton’s in Philadelphia and Dallas, confirmed Payton's fondness for the Jones family and the Cowboys in his weekly appearance with Shan and RJ on 105.3 The Fan.

"He understands what the (Cowboys) organization means in the grand scheme of things. Sean (Payton) told me one time, ‘You coach this team (the Cowboys), they know your name in China. Here, I coach the Saints and they know my name in Tampa, Florida and in Atlanta, Georgia,'" Broaddus said on The Fan. "But this is really the world's biggest stage. And that's the thing, you always want that big opportunity. He's adamant about the support the Jones' give. This guy (Jerry) would pour his last dime into trying to make this football team good if he could.

"I think there's a mutual respect between Jerry, Stephen Jones and Sean Payton and where they're trying to get. If that opportunity becomes available, I think Jerry will do everything he can to make sure he has the right opportunity for the right guy. If Sean Payton does become available I think it will be under consideration by the Jones family."

The “how’s” are a story for another day. So are more of the “why’s.” We will address those in the coming days, providing you with Cowboys scoops today ... that become national news tomorrow.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Payton is signed for the next two years and I sure as fuck don't want to give the Saints any draft picks.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I heard the other day he also has the ability to opt out of his contract if he wants to.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Against the Rams on Saturday, running back Ezekiel Elliott ran into a box of eight or more defenders on 40 percent of his carries. Compare that to divisional-round rates for Todd Gurley (6.25 percent), C.J. Anderson (17.39), and Sony Michel (4.17). Because Elliott is an ultra-talented running back who’s going to churn out yardage no matter the situation, he still finished the season with 1,434 yards rushing and a 4.7 YPC average.

^^ this is a quote above

anyhoo, this is pretty damn astounding.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Hadn't thought of it but didn't I read he has a clause about opting out if there were an ownership change? And that happened when the old man kicked it.

I can totally see this as much a Parcells disciple as Payton is. Parcells put that in his contacts after his experience with Leon Hess (iirc) dying while he was coach.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Personally I don’t think Garrett is going anywhere except where he currently resides. Namely the HC of the Dallas Cowboys. While I do not like his style of coaching and how clings to a system that has long seen it’s effectiveness he will remain in Dallas. The only hope for Dallas to advance further will rest with the draft results and coaches assistants who might be brought in. The current system and staff cannot go any further than what they have already attained. At least that’s how I see it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally I don’t think Garrett is going anywhere except where he currently resides. Namely the HC of the Dallas Cowboys. While I do not like his style of coaching and how clings to a system that has long seen it’s effectiveness he will remain in Dallas. The only hope for Dallas to advance further will rest with the draft results and coaches assistants who might be brought in. The current system and staff cannot go any further than what they have already attained. At least that’s how I see it.
I agree, although if Sean Payton wanted to coach in Dallas I think Jerry would kick him to the curb. I can't really see how Payton would want to leave the Saints for Dallas though. He has a great job there with a ton of talent.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
May have already accepted another job. There are worse places to work than Dallas.

Worse franchises, maybe, but not worse situations. Owner and son who make all important decisions. Head Coach who refuses to change or adapt, who could go at anytime.

Plus, name one coach at any level that's ever gone on to notable success with another team. It's kind of a coaching graveyard.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
David Moore was on the Ticket half an hour ago. He said Sean would want to come here but he doesn't know if Jerry would really want him enough to make the move, and doesn't think everything would line up well enough for it to work out anyway.

There was a very solid rumor that during the Bountygate suspension when Payton didn't yet have a contract extension, Jerry asked Payton what he'd need to come here. Payton said he was looking at getting 8 mil or so from New Orleans, and Jerry laughed and told him he better go get him some of that. Jerry doesn't like paying HCs a lot unless he needs a new stajium built.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a very solid rumor that during the Bountygate suspension when Payton didn't yet have a contract extension, Jerry asked Payton what he'd need to come here. Payton said he was looking at getting 8 mil or so from New Orleans, and Jerry laughed and told him he better go get him some of that. Jerry doesn't like paying HCs a lot unless he needs a new stajium built.
It seems crazy to me that a man who would spend a small fortune if there was no cap would draw a line in the sand with a coaches contract where there are no restrictions. Honestly with the salary cap the biggest difference between teams over a period of time is the coach.

Top Bottom