2019 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah this is pretty much how I feel. Hollins is at least intriguing from a height/weight/speed perspective I guess.
Yeah, of all of the rest, he'd probably be the one I'd be most interested in. But I'd be way more interested in the 5th round. I think the 4th may be a little too early.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
TBH, Thornhill is the only one I'm familiar with. Well, the Baity guy but it looks like they tossed him in there because of his height because, Richards.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is a big week in the Cowboys’ draft preparation with the top-30 national visitors set to make their way to The Star. Since 2004, DeMarcus Ware and Morris Claiborne are the only top picks not to make a pre-draft visit to the Cowboys. At the end of the week, the Cowboys will host their invite-only Dallas day workout for draft-eligible players from the area. Last year’s second-round pick Connor Williams worked out at Dallas day.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why? Seems like a good prospect for where they're picking.
Because I don't think he will translate to the NFL. He doesn't have the speed or athletic ability to get sacks right off the snap. My guess is he is at best a second effort guy who gets sacks when the QB is forced to hold the ball to long. I don't want an end who lacks the speed and athletic ability necessary to run down NFL QBs when they scramble. His stats look great from college but he just doesn't have the quick twitch ability or speed I'd want in an end. If Dallas drafts him I'm hope I'm wrong. I certainly haven't watched much Louisiana Tech but seeing mediocre DT speed in the body of a rush end does not make me feel confident.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He'd be a fine pick at the end of the 3rd or 4th but not the 2nd. I'd much, much, much rather go with someone like Dre'Mont Jones in the 2nd who is much more athletic and fills a bigger need. I'd also rather take any number of safeties (Rapp, Thornhill, Savage, Gardner-Johnson, Hooker, Deionte Thompson) or someone who falls at a position that isn't as much of a need (Samuel, Risner). Heck, I'd rather go with someone like Sternberger in the 2nd who might even be a little bit of a reach himself.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He'd be a fine pick at the end of the 3rd or 4th but not the 2nd. I'd much, much, much rather go with someone like Dre'Mont Jones in the 2nd who is much more athletic and fills a bigger need. I'd also rather take any number of safeties (Rapp, Thornhill, Savage, Gardner-Johnson, Hooker, Deionte Thompson) or someone who falls at a position that isn't as much of a need (Samuel, Risner). Heck, I'd rather go with someone like Sternberger in the 2nd who might even be a little bit of a reach himself.
This is pretty much how I feel. A small school guy with limited athletic ability but lots of production is someone I'm willing to take a shot on in the middle to late rounds but the second just seems like too much for me. In the second I at least want a guy with some athletic ability. I think Dallas wants a 3 technique in this draft. I'm just concerned they are trying harder to find a DE who can play 3 technique instead of just drafting a talented 3 technique. It's like maybe Feguson can play some 3 technique. He needs to probably add 15 pounds to do it regularly. Or Collier is sort of the same thing.

I just wish we would draft a dude to be a high end 3 technique. Stop trying to find the next Crawford and start looking for an every down DT.

Of course a DE/DT tweener is fine in the later rounds. They are great guys to have on the roster for depth. But you don't need to use premium picks for that.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I think Saunders or Wren would be good picks for a true 3 tech. They both grade out well for strength and hustle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Saunders or Wren would be good picks for a true 3 tech. They both grade out well for strength and hustle.
But Wren doesn't have any sack production in college. Why is that?

Saunders I've read as a 1 tech. He has the body of one with some sack production.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
CNNSI: [h=3]NFC EAST[/h] DALLAS COWBOYS

Biggest Need: Tight End. Jason Witten is back, but he turns 37 in May and is playing on a one-year deal. The Cowboys, being a run-first offense, would be very dangerous with more guys to throw to out of running formations. That starts with a potent receiving tight end. Presumably, new offensive coordinator Kellen Moore will, like many young offensive architects, be creative and diverse with his formationing. An athletic, flexible tight end is mandatory for maximizing those possibilities.

Hidden Need: Defensive Back. It’s unimaginable that Byron Jones would not be signed to a lucrative long-term contract when his rookie deal expires at the end of this season. (The question is whether it comes right away or after Jones plays a year on the franchise tag.) Retaining the defensive backfield’s other 2020 free agents—slot corner Anthony Brown and safeties Jeff Heath, George Iloka and Kavon Frazier—could prove more difficult. Technically, Jones can fill any of their positions (he’s played them all), giving Dallas the option to draft a perimeter corner. But that’s a distant fallback option at best, given that Jones’s value derives mainly from the aptitude he’s shown since moving to right outside corner.

Also Looking For: Defensive End. Even after Demarcus Lawrence signed his long-term deal, you can never have too many defensive ends in Dallas’s scheme, which is predicated on stunts and twists from a four-man front. And Dallas still has questions about the oft-suspended Randy Gregory and the newly acquired Robert Quinn, whose style is better suited to attack deep dropback passing games, not the quick-strike games that are common today.

Who They Can Get: The tight end class is raw but deep, and even sitting at 58 for their first selection, the Cowboys will have some intriguing choices. Dawson Knox was an afterthought at Ole Miss but there's no doubting the raw talent, while Texas A&M's Jace Sternberger isn't an elite athlete, but was highly productive and would bring plenty of dimension to the Cowboys' passing game. If they go defensive back, it seems like safety would be the spot, where Maryland's Darnell Savage, undersized but athletic, lengthy ballhawk Juan Thornhill of Virginia and the heady and instinctive Amani Hooker of Iowa could all make it to the late second round. Edge players at that spot include Miami's Joe Jackson, Old Dominion's Oshane Ximines, Michigan's Chase Winovich and Alabama's Christian Miller. Considering their willingness to roll the dice in the past, draft season faller Jachai Polite of Florida can't be ruled out here. [HR][/HR]

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would put S and DT both ahead of TE.
Sadly I agree. It's only because Witten is here which means no matter what TE we bring in, I have my doubts they will be used at all until Witten hangs them up again. I personally wish Witten would not have been brought out of retirement but I can't do anything about it now.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Sadly I agree. It's only because Witten is here which means no matter what TE we bring in, I have my doubts they will be used at all until Witten hangs them up again. I personally wish Witten would not have been brought out of retirement but I can't do anything about it now.
I think people believe Witten is just gonna re-insert himself as the lone tight end. I don't think thats the case, and I think we will take yet another one in the draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think people believe Witten is just gonna re-insert himself as the lone tight end. I don't think thats the case, and I think we will take yet another one in the draft.
And we might. But I also wonder if the team doesn't really like Schultz and think he just needs a year of learning under Witten.

Top Bottom