2019 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He is not getting a lot of pub, but he looks pretty good.

The slot WRs the way I see them:

1. Deebo Samuel
2. Andy Isabella
3. Penny Hart
4. Jakobi Meyers (big slot)
5. Dortch
6. Hunter Renfrow
7. Liljordan Humphrey (big slot)
8. Nick Easley
9. Olamide Zaccheaus
10. Terry Godwin

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Cowboys Draft Digest, Volume 2: 2019 offers a deep crop of top-level defensive tackles[/h]

By Bob Sturm Feb 14, 2019

Each​ week​ during the buildup​ to the NFL Draft, we​ will take a look at around five prospects. The hope​​ is to cover what we perceive as the very best players in this spring’s draft, as well as the Dallas Cowboys’ positions of greatest need in the first three rounds, using about 200 snaps of the most recent college tape from each prospect. I am certainly not an NFL scout, but I have found over the years that much can be learned from dedicating a few hours to each player and really studying how he might fit at the next level. With a little luck, we will be plenty familiar with the options when the draft arrives in late April.

This week, we aspire to study five players from the deep crop of elite defensive tackles available in the 2019 NFL Draft. It can be dangerous to speculate which positions have depth and which don’t before the combine, but it would seem from first glance that if you want to stack the players by level of talent to identify this draft’s 32 best, you will find that the lion’s share in 2019 will be made up of defensive linemen. Last week we looked at five edge players and have many more to examine, but this week we shall analyze five defensive tackles.

Aaron Donald was once the subject of my pre-draft fascination back in 2014. Here is what I wrote in an entry like this one:

“I promised to find negatives, and I know people don’t want their tackles to be 6’1 if they can help it, but he wins with leverage so much that I am fine with his stature. If you want to know who the dream target should be for the Dallas Cowboys when they get to the clock, it is Pitt’s Aaron Donald. And, it appears he might have a chance due to his height and run stopping warts that some have seen. But a guy who averages almost two destructive plays per game over four years in school? Sign me up.”

Donald went 13th in the draft. The Cowboys stayed put and selected Zack Martin at 16 after having Ryan Shazier snagged from under their nose a pick earlier. All three players have been exceptional, leaving us to ask why 12 picks went off the board before any of them. Among the early busts are Oklahoma State’s Justin Gilbert (who is out of the NFL) and Central Florida’s Blake Bortles (who might follow him soon).

Regardless, the draft game is never easy. But, evaluating Donald was for me. If I was going to ever invest in a defensive tackle high in the draft, he had better be making explosive splash plays in the backfield with sacks and tackles for loss. It would be nice if he would force some fumbles as well. Donald has won Defensive Player of the Year in 2017 and 2018, and is coming off a ridiculous 20.5 sack season in which he wrecked everything in his path after getting his big contract.

Here is a list of all of the defensive tackle seasons in the last four years that have resulted in seven sacks or more. There have been 21 in the entire league (about five per season):
1Aaron Donald201820.5
2tKawann Short201511
2tAaron Donald201711
2tAaron Donald201511
2tGeno Atkins201511
6tJarran Reed201810.5
6tFletcher Cox201810.5
8Geno Atkins201810
9tGeno Atkins20169
9tGeno Atkins20179
11Gerald McCoy20158.5
12tSheldon Rankins20188
12tCalais Campbell20168
12tAaron Donald20168
12tCameron Heyward20188
16tAkiem Hicks20187.5
16tKawann Short20177.5
18tJurrell Casey20157
18tJurrell Casey20187
18tGerald McCoy20167
18tAkiem Hicks20167
Rank Player Season Sacks

You will notice that of those 21 seasons, 18 of them have been produced by the same six players: Aaron Donald, Geno Atkins, Kawann Short, Jurrell Casey, Akiem Hicks and Gerald McCoy. The trouble with that list is that only two were first-round picks; McCoy and Donald. Short was a second-rounder, Casey and Hicks were selected in the third and Atkins the fourth.

Beyond that, there have been only four seasons of more than six sacks. They belong to Fletcher Cox, Jarran Reed, Cameron Heyward, and Sheldon Rankins.

The point to all of this is that the NFL has selected 92 defensive tackles in the first three rounds of its draft since 2010, and we can only find about 10 names who can put up a single season of more than six sacks. In fairness, there is more to the position than sacking quarterbacks, but my overall point here is that if a backfield presence is that rare, you might as well find speed bumps on Day 3 of the draft. The top 30, 50, and even 100 picks need to be allocated on players who can be special at a position where “pretty good” is available deeper in the draft.

What do the Cowboys think about investing in defensive tackles? Well, we know. They want to find defensive tackles off the street, practice squads, and pretty much anywhere but Day 1 or 2 in the draft. Basically since Russell Maryland, the Cowboys have not spent any large draft investment on a DT. Even though it looks like a major need after the Colts and Rams did whatever they wanted on the ground at the end of the season, until we see the Cowboys commit, we are going to assume that they just don’t value expenditures at this spot.

Here are the last 25 years of Cowboys defensive tackle selections in Rounds 1-3 (Tyrone Crawford and Jason Hatcher were both drafted as DE’s):

As you can see, the Cowboys draft edge guys ten times as often as the big boys in the middle. What could a premium defensive tackle do for this defense at the 3-technique? We can only wonder, because the Cowboys have had their chances to grab defensive tackles a number of times. If you follow my draft coverage, you know in 2012 we were screaming for a trade up in order to select Fletcher Cox. Dallas did trade up, but for cornerback Morris Claiborne.

Let’s look at the top of this great crop of destroyers on the inside that will likely be playing elsewhere this season:

Christian Wilkins — Clemson — 6’4 — 315

Wilkins is part of that menacing front that Clemson has ridden to the top of the college football world, a group so talented that they can square off in the trenches and win against Alabama. That is an accomplishment that the football world thought impossible before it was done. Wilkins was a huge part of that effort, as he put up four years of quality play, including the last three where he was the primary name that opponents had to prepare for. His 40.5 tackles for loss and 16 sacks put him on three consecutive All-American teams after going to Clemson as a five-star recruit.

(Statistics courtesy Sports-Reference.com)

Positives: Wilkins has plenty to offer as an interior player with incredible quickness who can get down the line on any outside zone running play, mirror the ball-carrier on the front side and chase him down from the back. He also penetrates with violence and has a bullrush that is going to be an issue. He has uncommon twitch for a man his size and he beats his man right off the snap in many cases. He also has a characteristic that sets him apart, in that his eyes are always on the QB during the pass rush, so he will knock down passes quite a bit and read screens. His intelligence will be one of his calling cards. He disengages well enough and gets his hands in a pretty good spot. I think this guy is a ready-made difference maker right off the bat.

Wilkins #42 will often stunt or twist outside and then beat a tackle on his way to the Quarterback as a rare D-lineman who can play 1-technique and edge. He is a dancing bear.

Concerns: He is an older prospect than you might prefer, as he is already 23 years old. That is not a deal breaker, but he will turn 24 during his rookie season and therefore his mid-20s will go by in a flash. This could mean he has reached his ceiling, but since that ceiling is so impressive, I can live with that. His other issue is anchoring and playing run defense when he isn’t penetrating or getting vertical. He will get washed out and seems to play smaller than his listed weight of 315 both in movement skills and in strength.

Overall: I have seen varying opinions on Christian Wilkins, but put me down as someone who is always looking for DTs who can move athletically and squeeze through tight spaces while turning their hips. I am also looking for a guy who gets the ball and makes splash plays, so you know I am high on Wilkins. There are better players in this draft, but the list isn’t very long. He’s worthy of a FIRST-ROUND grade and should be able to step right in to an NFL defense and contribute.

Wilkins can be that 3-technique you want on passing downs and cause issues on lines that want to assemble a group to twist and stunt. Then he arrives with fluidity and violence.

[h=3]DreMont Jones — Ohio State — 6’3 — 295 [/h]
Some of these defensive tackles have been on the radar for quite a while, but others have only emerged in 2018. Jones is probably part of the latter group, and it certainly isn’t uncommon for Ohio State to have enough premium talent that a player can both be exceptional and be required to “wait his turn” because someone else is blocking his opportunities as an underclassman. He is a large man who, like Wilkins, does not have the normal body type of a defensive tackle, but more of prototypical defensive end body. As football evolves, players like this frequently play inside.

Positives: The best part of Jones’ game started to emerge in 2018, as he made 21.5 splash plays in 14 games after just 10 in his first 21 games. This uptick tells us — especially with Nick Bosa missing most of the season — that he had raised his game to a new level. That’s easy to see, as he’s an under tackle with really strong hand usage and a fine motor to boot. It doesn’t take him long to dispose of a guard in space, which is the top goal of any 3-technique (lined up on the outside shoulder of the guard where his man cannot really get much help). He rushes the passer uncommonly well for an interior player and he also seems to keep his gas tank full enough as the game approaches the late stages. He stays on his feet and is nimble enough to make you think that his ceiling could be even higher, considering he took such a stride from 2017 to 2018.

Jones #86 lines up against TCU as the nose-tackle and then steps in front of a shovel pass and returns it to the end zone. Not the athleticism in space for a NT!

Concerns: Like many players from this mold, he is a fantastic one-gap penetrator, but he also is not great at standing his ground against the run. He also gives up his gap pretty easily, as he wants to elude rather than take on linemen at times. His pad level could stand to improve if he will survive on early downs inside on Sundays. This is largely a matter of technique, because he clearly has the tools. But there is work to be done, as he gets knocked out of his spot too often. Lastly, he is a one-year wonder.

Overall: Jones is probably the furthest from a sure thing among this group of five defensive tackles. There is nothing wrong with that, because this is a very nice group. But Jones requires some level of projection and you will want to make sure you put him in the right spots early on. I would feel OK with a FIRST-SECOND ROUND grade on him, but he fits better in the second round than the first.

Jones sure appears to be a fine 3-technique candidate who will slip zone blocks into the backfield on runs with great routine. He is a force.

[h=3]Ed Oliver — Houston— 6’3 — 292 [/h]
Very few players have a reputation that precedes them as much as Oliver’s. He was the very first five-star recruit to ever commit to a non-Power 5 school, and that decision certainly created curiosity. He quickly became a productive player who dominated his level, put up absurd numbers, and was added to the All-American team each season. From there, he declared a year ago that this would be his draft and then had a final season that clearly was played in some level of self-preservation mode, in order to stay fit for April.

Positives: Oliver is really a specimen who should be quite a player for a long time. He is so quick and athletic that he could seemingly play defensive end or linebacker if you asked nicely. He is a penetrator who plays like The Tasmanian Devil, and is just too much for the guy lined up across from him in most cases. He was down a level of competition, but he demonstrated he could play against anyone and also dealt with abnormal amounts of game-planning attention. He hits with a real meanness, and there are games like the Rice contest where he is just unblockable no matter what the opponent tries. He is not bothered by your plans; he just shrugs guys off and acts like they aren’t even blocking him on his way to the ball carrier. There are some elite gifts here.

Oliver #10 has a combination of quickness and strength that makes him a potential interior destroyer at the next level.

Concerns: Occasionally, a guy is so blessed that he never really feels inclined to refine his technique at the lower levels. I do think Oliver could use some technique work for the NFL level, because if he would just put a little effort into getting his hands up a level or two, he would stay clean and could destroy even more. That is tough to tell someone this productive, but NFL centers are much more competent than Rice’s options. His ability to disengage needs to be better. He will also be knocked for prioritizing his personal agenda. The night of the coat incident, he did not seem particularly injured when sitting out due to his knee. He is small for an NFL defensive tackle, so we have to figure out what his perfect fit will be in the NFL.

Overall: Oliver is where many draft uber-prospects end up when they are predicted to be a No. 1 pick over a year before their draft: They are picked on pretty hard by people who are just tired of hearing about them. I think there is a lot to consider when calling him the best player in the draft, but there is no doubt that he can be as good as he wants to be. It doesn’t take long to see his uncommon gifts. He is definitely worthy of a FIRST-ROUND grade, but does that mean Top 5 or Top 15? The Combine will help decide.

Oliver would absolutely just toss linemen aside as he generally played at 0-tech right over the center.

[h=3]Jeffery Simmons — Mississippi State — 6’4 — 301[/h]
Very few players have as much going on when you research them as Simmons, who has been a top prospect for quite a while. First, he had a huge incident in high school, which landed him in court for punching a woman repeatedly. That continues to create issues for him, as the NFL would not invite him to its combine as part of their effort to appear active against that type of conduct. Then he blew out his ACL while training. That will keep the ultra-talented, All-SEC tackle from doing much of anything in 2019. That said, I had already studied him, so let’s include him despite the new information likely hurting his draft stock.

Positives: We often label defensive tackles as either penetrators (who we don’t mind taking early) or stand-your-ground players who are generally available deeper in the draft. Sometimes, though, you say a guy can do both and does it very well at the SEC level. That guy is Simmons. Just about every time we say that about someone, it bodes very well for his NFL future. 37 explosives in the last two seasons puts him on a path alongside previous Mississippi State defensive tackles Fletcher Cox and Chris Jones. He has a fine get-off and jumps the snap into the backfield pretty often. The college level had very little to slow him down. He has very good lateral movement down the line and is very thick and powerful.

Simmons #94 can bring that inside rush in a hurry and arrives at the QB with some bad intentions.

Concerns: The concerns start with the serious character questions and his ACL. Before we knew of that knee issue, however, I still had big issues with what appeared to be a stiffness about him that doesn’t allow for a quick and fluid change of direction that elite tackles possess. This is what likely keeps him short of the Cox/Jones class. Don’t get me wrong, he gets into the backfield, but he does not have the hips to turn on a dime. He could improve his hand usage, too.

Overall: Simmons is sure to need a redshirt year, and that means a contender might be able to grab him on Day 2 and add a potentially elite piece if they don’t mind waiting for him. He is only 21, so time is on a team’s side, but it will be interesting to see how far he falls. He is certainly a very talented player, but there is plenty to consider. I would still absolutely take him in that FIRST-SECOND ROUND range.

Simmons can sure channel that bull in a china shop when someone tries to reach-block him.

[h=3]Quinnen Williams — Alabama — 6’4 — 295 [/h]
Some players need no introduction. The latest example of an unstoppable Alabaman force in the middle absolutely deserves all of the nice things being said about him after a massive 2018. He is the next stud from the line that produced Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, Jarran Reed, Marcel Dareus and A’Shawn Robinson. Williams won the 2018 Outland Trophy and is thought of as nothing worse than the third-best player in this draft. That might be too low.

Positives: Williams is a penetrating force of nature who lives in the backfield, can split double teams with ease and has short-area quickness that leads some to believe he may be the best lineman among that entire Alabama crop. He gets past isolated guards so fast it is scary, turns guys and is always moving forward. He has cat-like quickness and is a game-plan changer who tosses opponents aside. He also plays his tail off and has been spotted diving for players who try to get past him. That isn’t odd for defensive backs, but defensive tackles generally don’t show the motivation and fluidity to pull it off. Williams has no issues there. A beast with a great motor is destined for big things, and that is why everyone keeps talking about Williams.

Williams #92 does the normal (demand a double team) before he breaks out the abnormal and splits that double team and still makes the tackle. Absurd.

Concerns: I thought long and hard about what my concerns would be for him, and I really don’t have any. He does play for Alabama, so the talent around him may have made his job easier. But Williams was clearly being double-teamed constantly and produced anyway. He was the defensive focal point and he still dominated. There are no real concerns.

Overall: Williams is a special talent and in a group of really nice players, he stands out. I concur with my colleagues who give this man a HIGH FIRST-ROUND grade. We will be talking about him for quite a while.

You should really get the ball out quickly, because Williams is making his way to your spot. Even if he has to beat 2 guys first.
My Week 2 stack looks like this:

[h=3]BLAST FROM THE PAST[/h]
As an added bonus this year, I wanted to share some older profiles for grins. This was my view after watching 200 snaps of 2012 third-round pick Tyrone Crawford.

Tyrone Crawford — Boise State — 6’4 — 275 — 4.85 —November 22, 1989 (22)

The most enjoyable part of the NFL Draft process is recognizing that no matter how hard we try to anticipate what goes on inside the Cowboys war room (or any team’s, for that matter), we quickly see that we have no idea what they are thinking and who they like on draft day. Sure, sometimes we can piece clues together between sources, visits and other clues, but for the most part, when a name is announced, it causes many of us to scramble to figure out who a player is and what the Cowboys saw in him.

Crawford is 6’4 and weighed 275 pounds at the NFL Combine. He is supposed to be around 280 now, and I can tell you that the Cowboys think it would not be difficult at all to get his weight to 290-295 in time, considering natural growth and their weight room. The great news is that, despite his room to grow, he is already quite strong. His 28 reps on the bench press in Indianapolis will put him near the top of the list for defensive ends, and certainly players with his arm length. When you combine his 80″ wingspan and his 28 reps, you find a great combination of length and strength.

Crawford played on an exceptional Boise State roster that featured a number of draftable players, including two first-round picks. When watching his defensive tape, he is sometimes overshadowed by his equally impressive teammates. But Crawford has been more than productive at Boise, as a first-team All-Mountain West player. He’s absolutely on the radar of those who follow his program and conference.

Shea McClellin was picked 19th by the Chicago Bears as a DE/OLB. In the last two seasons, Crawford and McClellin have been productive bookends. In 2010, McClellin led the team with 9.5 sacks and 13.5 tackles for loss. His 23 explosive plays led the team as well, but right behind him was junior college transfer Crawford, in his first taste of big-time college football, with seven sacks and 13.5 tackles for loss. That’s very impressive work.

Then, in 2011, McClellin found seven sacks, Crawford 6.5. Crawford led the team in tackles for loss with 13.5 and McClellin had 12.5. There is no doubt the combination fed off each other, and when you consider that Tyrone Crawford played two years at Boise State and accounted for 13.5 sacks and 27 tackles for loss in just 25 college games, you can see what interested the Cowboys. He is both a productive college player in the present tense and a player with tremendous growth opportunities in the future.

When you watch Crawford, a few things jump out at you. First, he does look undersized compared to other players in the trenches, but once the ball is snapped, he packs an impressive punch. Offensive linemen do bounce back when he hits them at the snap, and he has the ability to get a decent push and to stand up at the point of attack. He gets to the passer often enough, but it does look like he needs a fair amount of work in technique on pass-rush moves. He really doesn’t seem to have any moves beyond using his quickness to get around the corner, and then actually gets a lot of his production from retracing his path and getting a QB or ball carrier from behind because his motor runs high and he never quits on a play. You would like to think the Cowboys can teach him technique in using his hands and developing some setup moves. When that happens, he might trouble pass-protection even more.

He has plenty of promise as a run-stopper, but we should understand that this might be a work in progress. On first and second down in the NFL, the defense depends on its ends to stand up against direct blocks, as well as occasional double-team blocks that are sent in their direction to bulldoze them out of the way. Crawford can handle himself well most of the time but does get caved in on occasion. He also sometimes gets caught by a down block from a tight end on a play to his outside, but dealing with that comes with recognition and growth.

He has good athleticism for a defensive end, but you can see the stiff hips that would keep him from being a candidate at outside linebacker. Whether you are looking for a slicing one-gap DE or a two-gap player who can stand his ground, I can clearly see what the Cowboys wanted here. On plays away from him, Crawford shows exceptional pursuit, and his speed from his spot out to the sideline will really rock your world if you have been watching Marcus Spears and Kenyon Coleman recently.

Dallas placed a premium on players who play hard and play to the whistle, and as we go down this list of draftees, I think you will see that trait is present on all of their defensive selections. They wanted football smarts, desire, and upside. I think Tyrone provides all of that.

Summary: I think he will be a candidate to immediately step into the rotation as a defensive end, primarily on nickel downs at first. Overall, the Cowboys look to have a real legitimate prospect who already makes enough plays that he is worth the investment. Once they can coach him up into a player with a full array of moves, this could be the three-down defensive end who can stop the madness of designated players that this team has been forced into over the last several years. At this position, they have had either run stoppers or pass rushers, with an absence of players who can fill both roles. Finally, you can see how with some work and development, Crawford could do both. With just a bit of patience, I think this is a pick the Cowboys can be pretty pleased with.

Previous Volumes: Vol 1 – Edge Rushers – Josh Allen – Kentucky, Brian Burns – Florida State, Clelin Ferrell – Clemson, Jachai Polite – Florida, Montez Sweat – Mississippi State

Next up: Next week, we’ll look at one more set of defensive linemen who make up this incredibly deep group.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Itd be nice if we ever valued 1's and 3's. I honestly don't get our disdain for drafting big sumbitches in the middle. That was a glaring weakness vs the Rams.

p1_

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Why Quinnen Williams is the best DT prospect since Aaron Donald[/h]

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Itd be nice if we ever valued 1's and 3's. I honestly don't get our disdain for drafting big sumbitches in the middle. That was a glaring weakness vs the Rams.
Rams and Colts both ran up the middle all day. No excuse for continuing to let this happen. Gotta get bigger and more physical in the middle. By week one this shouldn't even be a concern.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Good lord! Lawrence is so big, that pic looks like he's about to body slam Kevin Hart

Cotton

Staff member
[h=1]DT Dre'Mont Jones could sit in pole position for Cowboys at No. 58[/h]
By: Dalton Miller | 50 minutes ago

It’s still too early to get a feel for the direction the Dallas Cowboys will go with their first pick in the 2019 NFL draft. There are positions that could use an upgrade, but there are no glaring needs on the football team. Tight end, wide receiver, safety, edge rusher and defensive tackle could all be targets for No. 58, as Dallas traded away their first-round pick.

It’s a best-player-available situation, and that bodes well for the Cowboys. That player could be Ohio State junior defensive lineman Dre’Mont Jones. [h=1]Measureables: 6-foot-2, 286 pounds[/h] [h=1][/h] [h=1]Stats:[/h] [h=1]
[/h] [h=1][/h] [h=1]Pros[/h]
Jones has a good first step, in which he’s able to threaten the hip of interior blockers quickly, but it’s his subsequent steps that are elite. Unlike other interior defenders who can get to the hip quicker, Jones is able to carry that momentum through and to the quarterback.
He’s also shown patience and the ability to gain incredible width to skirt blockers, like the above play. Jones executes a club and swim, gets wide and is still able to explode forward to the quarterback despite playing too high.

Jones came to Ohio State as a defensive end, and those traits are evident in Jones’ tape, as he’s able to turn a tight corner around defenders to win an angle to the quarterback. Where Jones really shines is in his ability to use his length. He’s the best in the class at using the length he has to stay away from blockers. His hands consistently get inside and extend out to keep defenders off his chest while he scrapes against the run. His other calling card is his range.

Quarterbacks and ball carriers are not safe from Jones no matter their location on the field. He is able to get sideline-to-sideline with ease and frequency due to his superb conditioning. When blockers try to come down on him before climbing to the next level, they are consistently unable to affect his positioning in any way, as he sees and keeps them from getting into his frame on chips.

He also does a fine job of sliding laterally and reducing surface area to knife through double teams to terrorize the backfield. Jones displays powerful hands when he accurately places them on cross chops, club and rips, and spins. [h=1]Cons[/h]
Jones has issues when he needs to disengage from blockers on runs coming through his bubble. He narrowly misses out on tackle opportunities because he’s unable to get blockers hands off him quick enough. He attempts to reach his arms out and flip his hips, but too often he’s unable to because he doesn’t fight with his hands against the run. Jones plays with pathetic pad level almost constantly.
Two plays in a row on the goal line show the issues he has playing much too high. On the second play specifically, he makes a nice move with the swim, but because he came off it so high he gets pinballed into the runner and is forced to retreat, allowing a touchdown instead of making the goal line stop.

He’s able to hold up due to his lower body strength and hand usage, but in short-yardage situations he’s consistently blown off the ball because of his high play. He needs to better understand when and how to deploy his spin move, as it is too often ineffective. He struggles when forced to make a decision at the mesh point, and could be schemed against at the next level with mobile quarterbacks if he doesn’t improve in his assignment soundness when it comes to the option. When he is working half-man situations and blockers get a hand into his breastplate he has issues capturing the edge because he’s unable to wipe away the hand of the blocker. [h=1]Outlook[/h]
Jones is a perfect fit in the Cowboys’ defensive scheme. He has legitimate 10-plus sack potential as a penetrating three technique, and shows potential to improve against the run, as his biggest problem in that area was simply timing up disengagement opportunities too late.

David Irving will most likely not be a part of the team in 2019, and there is no more seamless transition than Irving to Jones. Their lean frames and athletic ability work perfectly for what Rod Marinelli wants to do with the defensive line. He’s not as long as the 6-foot-7 Irving, but he uses his length incredibly well.

With Antwaun Woods clogging up the middle and taking up doubles against the run, the linebackers playing at an even higher level next year (hopefully) and having Demarcus Lawrence as a wall against the run, it would could free Jones up to attack the backfield simply to cause disruption. His motor never stops running. He played a large amount of the snaps in games viewed of the Ohio State defense, and he never took plays off.
This is a good example showing the effort and long-speed Jones possesses. He tracks this screen pass 20 yards downfield and catches the runner as he tries cutting back inside off a block. If not for that effort, this run could have been housed.

His grade fell just outside the first round because of his struggles against the run, but Dallas doesn’t pick until 58. So how does he make it there? Well, he could make it to their pick because he is undersized as a defensive tackle. If he weighs in anywhere under 290 pounds teams may not feel comfortable with him playing a large amount of snaps on the interior. His atrocious pad level could also be seen as a deal breaker for organizations, but because that can improve and it didn’t hinder his ability to rush the passer it’s not a fatal flaw. Because of his fit and ability, it’s difficult to imagine a better player being available at 58 if Jones is there.

Cotton

Staff member
[h=1]Juan Thornhill is a do-it-all defensive back. Would he make sense as the Cowboys’ second-round pick?[/h]

By Kevin Turner Feb 17, 2019

It feels like the Dallas Cowboys always have multiple proverbial elephants in the room. The past month has given us the news that Jason Garrett would not receive a contract extension. The coming months will feature contract negotiations with star players. Jimmy Johnson’s absence from the team’s Ring of Honor is an eternal topic; spanning the past, present and future.

One of those elephants is former Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas, who is a free agent this offseason and has already asked the Cowboys to “come get him.” While Thomas is coming off a season-ending injury and will be 30 once the coming season starts, he still will likely ask for $10 million or more per year. (Calvin Watkins will address the Thomas situation in more depth later this week.) With looming potential contracts for DeMarcus Lawrence, Dak Prescott, Zeke Elliott, Amari Cooper and Byron Jones, the Cowboys might be better served adding to their safety group through the draft.

That leads us to this scouting report of Virginia safety Juan Thornhill, who has been mocked to the Cowboys many times throughout this pre-draft process. I realize it might be difficult to seduce the fanbase with a Virginia safety; I mean, we are in Big 12 country. But I think if you follow along for the rest of this piece, you’ll be excited about the possibility of Thornhill wearing a star on his helmet.

Before we get to Thornhill, let’s take a look at the Cowboys’ current safety picture, with all salary numbers provided by Over The Cap.

Xavier Woods will make $684,905 in 2019 and $774,905 in 2020. I can see Stephen Jones high-fiving his old man right now at the beauty of the rookie contract.

Jeff Heath is in the final year of his deal with a cap number of $2.95 million.

Kavon Frazier is in the final year of his rookie contract, with a cap number of $745,000.

Darian Thompson is technically on the roster and Jameill Showers on the injured/reserve list, but the Cowboys essentially rolled with three safeties all year long and got lucky that nobody got injured, because the depth behind the top three was iffy at best.

While Earl Thomas could be in play, and free agency for the Cowboys will be more about in-house fixes rather than players on the street, safety is still a position the Cowboys could continue to replenish in this year’s draft. And that leads us to today’s study of Virginia Safety Juan Thornhill, a prospect I think fits well in Dallas. [h=3][/h] [h=3]Juan Thornhill — Virginia — Defensive Back —#21[/h]
Height: 6’0

Weight: 202

Arms: 31 ½”

Speed: 4.53

Thornhill can play free safety, strong safety, or even cornerback, but I think his best NFL placement would be as a safety who can help out in the run game while also having the ability to cover the back end as a free safety. Regardless of what your team’s roster situation looks like, he can help out immediately. It should be noted that as a sophomore and junior he played cornerback, so I would imagine there are some teams who might prefer him there rather than as a safety.

Thornhill has adequate length for the position and is fast enough to close the gap in coverage. He really thrived in underneath coverage as well as attacking the line of scrimmage against the run. He shows a good ability to quickly react to plays, and that’s a very important trait for the safety position. He can struggle when the ball is behind him, and while he has enough athleticism to get the job done, he’s probably not going to light up the combine’s explosive drills. No matter how he tests, I’m sold on Thornhill’s awareness and reactionary skills, which usually put him at the right place at the right time.

Let’s go to the clip show!

If you don’t believe that The Athletic’s Dane Brugler is the best draft analyst in the country, I don’t know what to tell you. We start with a clip from the game of basketball, thanks to a Dane tweet from November 2018. Now that’s a true scout.

Now for the football portion of the clip show, let’s start out with something sexy to catch your eye. This is the Georgia Tech game and Thornhill is #21 on the opposite side of the field from where the play is actually going. Check out how he gets across the field to blow up the option play. Part of this could come down to his preparation and a basic understanding of where the play will go, but the other part is how he shows some speed and takes a great angle to temporarily ruin the hopes and dreams of Yellow Jackets fans.

Let’s go to the end-zone camera to see a play against North Carolina State. Thornhill is wearing an orange sleeve on his left arm; he’s the safety following the play in motion. He shows a great job of avoiding blocks and sneaking his way through the hole to make plays. Time after time, he showed up on film finding a way to the ball carrier at any cost.

In the next clip, Thornhill is the deep safety reacting to the run, bringing his weight downhill. You have to love the downhill burst and physical mentality to make the play. You will notice that he’s ankle-biting here, which is not usually the preferred method of tackling, but it works out fine in this case. During my study of Thornhill, I saw him try to go low a little too much, which is an indicator that adding a little weight to his frame might not be a bad idea.

As I mentioned earlier, Thornhill plays with great awareness. It’s important for a safety to have the innate ability to always know where the ball is and where it’s going. He does a good job of playing in control and meandering his way to the ball carrier to make the tackle.

Now we go to the end-zone camera for a game from that NC State game. It’s 2nd and 10 on the first drive of the game, so note that he’s fresh, but you get a good look at his blitzing skill, with his speed and closing ability on full display.

Now that we’ve seen Thornhill play the run, let’s see how he does in coverage.

Take a look at #21 on this wide view against North Carolina State, and you see him begin the play standing on the right eyeball of the Wolfpack logo. The QB (Ryan Finley) is pressured, but extends the play and finds the open No. 2 receiver on the dig route. Thornhill does a great job of diagnosing and then undercutting the route. If he’s just a tick slower, the play leads to a touchdown. Instead it’s a pass breakup, because he saw it just in time and was quick enough both physically and mentally.

This is the same play, but sometimes it helps to see another view. Notice how ahead of the lead receiver’s break he is once the No. 2 receiver enters the screen. I also think it’s fair to consider that Thornhill might have drawn a flag in the NFL for grabbing the receiver’s left arm before undercutting the play.

Earlier in this piece, I mentioned that Thornhill has cornerback experience as well. In this clip he’s the slot corner at the top of the screen, defending the out route. Take note of the physicality and his efforts to undercut the route.

Let’s go to Virginia’s game against Ohio for one of my favorite plays from Juan Thornhill. It’s 3rd and 5 and you will find Thornhill lined up at the 45-yard line on the near side, wearing white sleeves. Watch this quick reaction as he gets to the receiver and knocks him down short of the first down.

Finally, let’s end with a slow-motion clip. This is against Liberty, where he starts out in the slot on the 9-yard line and retreats 25 yards to make a play on the ball. His playmaking ability stands out, whether he’s going up to get interceptions or coming up near the line to make tackles

I have a second-round grade on Thornhill. I like that he has the versatility to play either safety position, as well as nickel cornerback, should that become a roster need. When scouting a safety, I have to be able to trust a player’s tackling ability and range, as well as their burst and closing speed. More importantly, I want to see a player with good instincts. I think instincts and awareness are Thornhill’s best traits.

He’s not Earl Thomas, but Juan Thornhill is a very well-rounded player who is ready be a starter at the next level.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A one-two of DreMont Jones and Thornhill would be so epic. Two of my favorites at their positions.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I was pretty pumped about Tillery with our first pick. Until I read that he has serious character issues. I'd really rather not risk this pick on a guy who could have suspension tendencies.
From what I've read, Christmas or Renell Wren would be solid picks.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
All reports I've seen on Thornhill are positive. Personally I'd rather get him and pass on a big money deal with ET.

p1_

DCC 4Life
2019 NFL Draft: Pro day schedule

Between the NFL Scouting Combine and the 2019 NFL Draft, coaches and scouts turn their attention to pro day workouts. These are not as all-encompassing as the combine, but are important enough for the key decision-makers in the league to travel around the country for more than a month to watch the talent up close and in person.

This year's pro days are listed below by date.
NOTE: All times shown in ET.

March 5
» Miami (Ohio), 10:30 a.m.
» Purdue, 8 a.m.

March 6
» Cincinnati, 9:30 a.m.
» Colorado State, 9:45 a.m.
» Kansas State, 10 a.m.
» Northern Illinois, 10:30 a.m.

March 7
» Alabama-Birmingham, 9 a.m.
» Nebraska, 2 p.m.