2019 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw a mock that showed up on my google assistant thing on my phone that had us taking DT Dexter Lawrence with our second. Didnt get a chance to see the other picks, sorry.
Yeah he is sort of the 1 technique that I'd be thrilled with if he made it to the second round. 6'4" 340 pound behemoth. This class has a ton of highly rated DT's. Some of them are bound to fall.

**Quinnen Williams, Alabama
*Ed Oliver, Houston
*Jeffery Simmons, Mississippi State
*Dexter Lawrence, Clemson
Christian Wilkins, Clemson
*Dre'Mont Jones, Ohio State
Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame
*Rashan Gary, Michigan

Just give me one. Seems like every year one of these first round projected DT's slips through the cracks. I'm sure there are a bunch of second tier guys too that we could look at. Or maybe Anthony Nelson who is a really big DE. The guys wingspan is insane long and his length led to 9.5 sacks for Iowa which is pretty impressive. Put a little weight on him and I think he could be a 3 technique in this defense and cause nightmares for QBs with his 6'7" height and long arms.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Don’t look now, but Jarwin came on at the end of the season. Swain wasn’t bad either, but he can’t stay healthy.
I don't care about his game against the Giants. On a good offense, he is a TE2.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Oh good, the year with a bounty of DT’s. Maybe we get more than one .

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is he automatically worse than anyone we draft or sign as a UFA?
Not unless it's Jared Cook or Eifert. And frankly Eifert is only good for a few games before he gets hurt again. Over the last 3 years the guy has only played in 14 games, so I wouldn't waste my time there. I think Jarwin is better then the rest of the free agent scrubs at TE.

We could draft someone better though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah they love him on that draft show as a Beasley upgrade. I wouldn't do it unless we bring in a new offensive coordinator that's throwing the ball more though. But if we had a coach who wants to run more 1 TE only stuff on offense I may be tempted.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Zeke's backup, lasts late due to ACL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah they love him on that draft show as a Beasley upgrade. I wouldn't do it unless we bring in a new offensive coordinator that's throwing the ball more though. But if we had a coach who wants to run more 1 TE only stuff on offense I may be tempted.
Isabella is a lot more talented than Beasley. He actually could line up on the perimeter and catch deep passes.

You know, like the ones that everyone talked about Beasley could do and yet I still have a bag of uneaten dicks in the corner to show for it.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Isabella is a lot more talented than Beasley. He actually could line up on the perimeter and catch deep passes.

You know, like the ones that everyone talked about Beasley could do and yet I still have a bag of uneaten dicks in the corner to show for it.
Where would this guy go in the draft?

NAME: Andy Isabella

SCHOOL: Massachusetts

CONFERENCE: Independent

POSITION: Wide Receiver

CLASS: Senior

JERSEY: No. 5

RECRUITMENT RATING: 3-star

HT: 5'’10"

WT: 190

D.O.B.: Not Available

Route Running – Quick accelerator off the line and tempers his route stems effectively to produce desired space and create separation in the shallow areas of the field. Does not have a great deal of counters for quick footed or overly physical defenders, is a slot option only as a result.

Hands – Sticky hands do well to pluck the football when it is put up above the numbers. Does not have a great deal of strength in hands in contested situations but soft hands effortlessly tuck the ball away with quickness before turning up the field.

Contested Catch Ability – Size is a massive barrier. Lack of catch radius is a problem when his passer is looking to slot a throw into a tight window. Does have have the physical play strength to box out defenders and work for real estate. Limited high point skills due to frame.

Run After Catch Ability – Short area quickness is accentuated in the shorter areas of the field, where he can start/stop and force a poor angle from the first arriving defender in pursuit. Does not have a great deal of extension skills to stave off contact or contact balance to run through lateral contact.

Football IQ – Crafty route runner, ability to create space and find soft spots in the defense are plus qualities that should provide a pathway to NFL success. Wins his routes with his feet and with understanding leverage.

Vertical Receiving – Has gotten behind the secondary against off coverage thanks to effective feet to set up a false step. Does not have the length to open his strides and eat up space vs. trail man coverage when facing physical defenders. Tracks the ball well to stay in stride.

Change of Direction Skills – Jitterbug skills flash immediately when working through the top of route stems to gear down and get into a cut with quickness and efficient angles. Has short area ability to slide against potential collisions in route release to stay on schedule. Slippery vs. the first tackler.

Speed – Step frequency is very rapid, although short area acceleration is more impressive than second gear. That said, is a former high school sprinter, ran sub-10.90 in 100m dash. Play speed is effective, particularly in the middle of the field with more space to account for.

Competitive Toughness – Fun player who leaves it on the field. Motor and effort are admirable, even in disadvantageous situations against bigger defenders. Physical play strength, however, is almost non-existent. Lack of length and thickness in the lower half stand out.

Blocking Ability – Is not going to offer any upside as a blocker in stack formations or as a slot receiver trying to block in the D-gap. Effort isn’t an issue and can be tenacious mirroring but lacks push or punch to set a block effectively. [HR][/HR]
BEST TRAIT – COD Skills

WORST TRAIT – Contested Catch Ability

BEST FILM – South Florida (2018)

WORST FILM – Tennessee (2017)

RED FLAGS – Size/Durability

Andy Isabella is a player who has a much more prominent pathway to NFL success after the rule changes in recent seasons. A diminutive, non-physical player, Isabella wins with quickness and thrives in space. His best role would be as a slot/depth option on a team that looks to space the field and isolate their athletes one on one. Passing systems like the ones in KC and SF come to mind as specific favorable fits.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah it's why I mentioned him as a Beasley upgrade and not a Beasley replacement. I certainly wouldn't argue against a third round WR again this year like Gallup last year.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Meh. You pussed out on the deep winning TD reception against the Giants. No point in bringing it up any more if you're just going to ignore when it happens.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Have a feeling Lawrence doesn't fall that far, Thompson would fit the bill but I know nothing about Hockenson. I also have no idea why the later part of this post was bold and I couldn't change it. :shrug

3 prospects for the 58th overall pick:

Dexter Lawrence/Defensive Tackle/Clemson

The defensive line for the Cowboys was the brightest of spots throughout the 2018 campaign. When the Hot Boyz failed to show up in the playoff game against the Rams, the Cowboys Super Bowl hopes faded quickly.

With defensive tackles Antwaun Woods and Maliek Collins both having breakout years in the middle, the Boys need more depth to make the Hot Boyz more potent than ever before.

Lawrence totaled 131 tackles in his three years at Clemson, 18 tackles being for a loss. At 6-foot-4, 340 pounds, he will give the Cowboys defensive line the natural run stuffer they need.

Deionte Thompson/Safety/Alabama

In his senior season, Deionte Thompson totaled 79 tackles, two interceptions, six pass breakups, and three forced fumbles.

Thompson stands tall at 6’2 and has an act for making a play on the ball, something Americas team needs desperately.

Thompson could be a first-round pick, but he does have a pending felony assault charge which could have him fall into the second round.

Could the Cowboys front office take a chance on a talented, yet troubled prospect if the opportunity presents itself? History says, yes.

T.J. Hockenson/Tight End/Iowa

Despite Jarwin’s Week 17 explosion with nine catches for 117 yards and three touchdowns, Cowboy tight ends combined for one touchdown all year.
T.J. Hockenson decided to forego his junior and senior season, surprising many, declaring for the NFL draft.
Hockenson is known for his ability to be elite in both pass catching and blocking, which could further enhance the cowboy rushing and passing attack. He caught 49 passes for 760 yards and scored three touchdowns in his red-shirt sophomore year.

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/01/17/...-overall-pick/

Last edited:
Top Bottom