SCHOOL: Iowa

POSITION: Tight End

CLASS: Redshirt Sophomore

JERSEY: No. 38

RECRUITMENT RATING: 3-star

HT: 6-5

WT: 243 lbs

D.O.B.: 7/3/1997

Route Running – Arc releases at the LOS are effective to filter out from in-line alignment. Very smooth and natural at the top of his routes. Has shown versatility on stick routes, deep crossers, delays, seam routes, motioned flat routes, etc to provide ample impact in the air.

Hands – Wonderful softness in hands to ensure he’s snaring the ball. Caught a wet ball well (PSU, 2018) without gloves. Has softness to his hands to ensure he’s not jarred and missing the nose of the football in contested situations.

Versatility – A do it all TE prospect. Well versed in life as an in-line blocker, perfectly comfortable in pass protection and has excelled in that area. RAC monster, catch point winner, in-line TE with vertical ability. A true X-factor weapon.

Contested Catch Ability – Has high pointed a few (Indiana, Wisconsin 2018) balls with good sturdiness as contacted and strong hand-eye coordination. Well developed frame and catch radius flash and allow him to be a bail-out option in tight coverage situations.

Run After Catch Ability – More of a second gear than you’d expect for his stature, has blown through pursuit angles on more than one occasion and made defenders look silly. Has hurdled more than one defender in the open field as well. Powerful, difficult to wrestle down at the catch point.

Power At POA – One of the most tenacious blockers I’ve ever laid eyes on. The foot urgency and finishing skills are tremendous, will bury DEs and OLBs alike. Effective to collapse or wash down and ensure there’s a soft edge for ball carriers.

Competitive Toughness –Love his play demeanor. Is a player you’d love to clone ten of for your offense. Functional strength is exceptional, as is his relentlessness to get under the pads of defenders. Works hard to reset his hands and establish his base to uproot.

Flexibility –His lower half moves well, but he isn’t the free moving athlete that his teammate (Fant) is. Plays with control and fluidity, graceful in efforts to pivot sharply. Shows effective leverage and pad level as a drive blocker in the run game.

Balance –Blocking balance is terrific, shows an ability to play sticky on lateral contact and work his feet to leverage himself appropriately relative to the play. Will make far angled blocks look easy with how smooth he is scraping across the face to reset the hook.

Football Intelligence –Impressive polish for just a redshirt sophomore, wins in ample ways and does so not just with unique and special athletic skills but also from a technical standpoint as well. Should experience a lesser transition to the NFL, given his in-line pedigree. [HR][/HR]
BEST TRAIT – Versatility

WORST TRAIT – Deep Speed (I guess?)

BEST FILM – Wisconsin (2018)

WORST FILM – Penn State (2018)

RED FLAGS – None

T.J. Hockenson is one of the easiest/hardest evaluations of my season. Hockenson is terrifically balanced as a football player and it doesn’t take more than a few reps to know he’s an immediate starter at the NFL level with scheme diversity. The challenge for Hockenson’s tape? Listing a weakness. Hockenson is comfortable in any number of roles, giving comfort that he’ll be fine in WCO or vertical passing offenses alike. He’s a scheme transcendent prospect.
Yeah pretty good evaluation. Noah Fant will jump higher and run faster. So will probably the Alabama TE Irv Smith. But the one who people should really want is this guy. I can't think of a TE who would be a better fit for what we want to do.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just read that there is a good chance the Bucs release Gerald McCoy, that'd be another strong option who may come cheaper than most would assume.
Yeah at 30 years old maybe we could get him at a decent price.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I mean, I'd be perfectly fine with Fant or Smith in the 2nd, but Hockenson is definitely my preference.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Time for the 2019 NFL Draft stuff thread?

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
The Ravens' Michael Pierce will probably be available. PFF has him ranked very high as a powerful run stuffer, so-so in the pass rush dept.. He's a 340 lb brute, and could possibly be had at a decent price. Bam! Big time instant upgrade against the run.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Time for the 2019 NFL Draft stuff thread?
Might as well. Draft talk is already in full swing, unfortunately.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Might as well. Draft talk is already in full swing, unfortunately.
Yeah once our season is over I honestly could give a shit less about the rest of the NFL season. I'd rather talk draft and free agency. And since free agency seems to be an after thought with this team I'm ready to just talk draft. The only real hope I have in free agency is Earl Thomas since the Cowboys seemed to want to trade for him so badly and he wants to play in Dallas. That seems like a no brainer move and we don't have to give up the first round pick they were demanding.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Ravens' Michael Pierce will probably be available. PFF has him ranked very high as a powerful run stuffer, so-so in the pass rush dept.. He's a 340 lb brute, and could possibly be had at a decent price. Bam! Big time instant upgrade against the run.
At 6 foot 340 pounds he is definitely thick. I guess as a rotational run stuffer but he isn't really what I'd get excited about. Especially a guy who was a part time player and managed zero sacks. I guess if he is super strong and can at least collapse the pocket I'm ok with it. I kind of prefer guys with more length though who can block throwing lanes and sort of reach out and make plays against the run.

He is super strong though from what I've read. So that is good at least.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
At 6 foot 340 pounds he is definitely thick. I guess as a rotational run stuffer but he isn't really what I'd get excited about. Especially a guy who was a part time player and managed zero sacks. I guess if he is super strong and can at least collapse the pocket I'm ok with it. I kind of prefer guys with more length though who can block throwing lanes and sort of reach out and make plays against the run.

Yeah, apparently his pass rush skills leave a lot to be desired. But as you mentioned, stopping the run and blowing up pockets would be nice on first and second downs.
It gets old watching our interior getting run all over.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
If we fire the HC and OC, I'd hope we'd be smart enough to fire the DC, too.

But I guess if you had mentioned that, you wouldn't have been able to fit your snappy cattle prod joke in.
Pretty much. I couldn’t help myself. You’re absolutely right, though.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

A solid pro that makes it harder for the offense to succeed on every down. If QBs have less room to step up, you affect the passing game, and the running game goes without saying.

That contribution won’t necessarily show up in stats, but it would help us match up more physically vs. OLs as strong and consistent as the Rams are this year.

Marinelli wont allow it though. He still thinks his “rushmen” scheme was what made Sapp, Booger, Rice, etc. successful. Fuck talent or physical mismatches.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't separate the DT need out to 1-T or 3-T, I'd be open to either at any point in the draft if it's BPA or near it. All things being equal I might lean 3-T but either type of DT would be an upgrade.
I think we need a "BPA" DT.

If you get a big guy who can both clog the run and pressure the passer, he and Collins can each do both.

Kind of like Suh with the Rams. He's not your classic 1T, but he plays next to clear 3T Donald.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I mean, I'd be perfectly fine with Fant or Smith in the 2nd, but Hockenson is definitely my preference.
Once we get to the workout circuit, Hockenson won't even be on the radar any more.

Neither will Smith or Fant.

We are looking at Kaden Smith or some such shit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once we get to the workout circuit, Hockenson won't even be on the radar any more.

Neither will Smith or Fant.

We are looking at Kaden Smith or some such shit.
Yeah most years you can count on the fact that 3 TEs won't go that highly. But this is a pretty good TE class. If all 3 are gone I just move on to DT in the second.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Since I can't quote...I like Kaden Smith, not a slam dunk pick at the end of the 2nd like the other guys but he deserves to be in the conversation.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since I can't quote...I like Kaden Smith, not a slam dunk pick at the end of the 2nd like the other guys but he deserves to be in the conversation.
Yeah he just feels like a more talented Schultz. But honestly Schultz isn't too bad when he isn't fucking up his blocking assignments. Hopefully a year of learning and no longer being a rookie will fix some of that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Don’t look now, but Jarwin came on at the end of the season. Swain wasn’t bad either, but he can’t stay healthy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don’t look now, but Jarwin came on at the end of the season. Swain wasn’t bad either, but he can’t stay healthy.
Yeah I mean Jarwin at least makes me comfortable enough that if one of the top 3 TE's that I've mentioned before aren't around in the second round but one of the plethora of DT's are, I'd just take the DT and worry about a TE with high upside later. Jarwin has shown that he has some potential. He generally looks pretty natural catching the ball, has decent athletic ability and is a solid enough blocker. I think he was under used by Dallas but that's ok to me, we don't have a ton of balls to go around. I think we at least now have an idea of what he is good at.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Saw a mock that showed up on my google assistant thing on my phone that had us taking DT Dexter Lawrence with our second. Didnt get a chance to see the other picks, sorry.

Top Bottom