2019 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

lostxn

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Top three positions the Cowboys need to improve this offseason[/h] Selena Sixtos
January 15, 2019

With the 2018 NFL season behind us, Dallas must shift its focus to improving various grey areas on this young Cowboys roster.

The Cowboys defense saw plenty of growth this season and it certainly left people stunned at the dominance the Cowboys carried on this side of the ball. Still, it became exposed by top-scoring offenses, most recently by the L.A. Rams.

On the other hand, the Dallas defense was in true elite form when they held the Saints, another top-scoring offense, to a jaw-dropping 10 points in Week 13.

The addition of passing game coordinator Kris Richard undoubtedly brought this group to a whole new level. Richard ignited an attitude that very well may have saved the Cowboys’ season as he paved the way for a defense-driven team. As the status for Richard’s role next season remains unknown, it’s as important as ever to solidify the safety and defensive line positions, including positions on the offensive line. [h=2]Safety[/h]
Earl Thomas, anybody?

Last season the Cowboys passed on six-time Pro Bowler Earl Thomas because they were simply unwilling to pay the man. Dallas could still use a “high-profile” play maker at safety, but the question remains about whether or not they can afford one.

Totaling 74 tackles and one interception this season, Jeff Heath isn’t exactly known for consistency and his rocky performance against the Rams served as a cruel reminder that the Cowboys desperately need to upgrade this role.

Jerry Jones has commented on the plan of drafting a free agent and he let it be known that the team plans to explore its options in the draft, a sign of good faith. The team is lacking a dominant playmaker in its secondary and I am confident (optimistic) that the position will be solidified this off season. [h=2]Defensive Line (DT, DE)[/h]
The biggest question surrounding the Cowboys defense is where Demarcus Lawrence stands with this team next season, but if you ask me there is no way the Cowboys are letting him walk. The Tank is going to get paid and rightfully so. Even with the security of DLaw, beefing up the defensive line will do this team some good.

Maliek Collins had a defining game in the post season against Seattle where he demonstrated just how explosive he can be. He’s been a pleasant surprise for the Cowboys as has DT Antwaun Woods but that depth chart doesn’t really expand past David Irving, who has missed “multiple” mandatory drug tests and is jeopardizing his place in the NFL. The Cowboys need to be prepared to handle potential injuries or seasonal adjustments. The more hot boyz the merrier. [h=2]Offensive Line[/h]
“The offensive line has seen some substantial change the past two seasons, and will likely see more moving forward,” said staff writer Darreck Kirby.

The absence of Center Travis Frederick was deeply felt all season as the offensive line dwindled before our eyes. Fortunately, the All-Pro is set to return for the 2019 season and his impact is going to make all the difference for this team. Regardless, the Cowboys need to address the depth of the offensive line.

There has been speculation that La’el Collins could be re-positioned to left guard, which in turn would leave Connor Williams at right tackle. While there is still no definite truth to these rumors, it is true that Collins has been struggling at RT while Williams has taken some time to develop. Beyond that, Xavier Su’a-filo showed promise filling in at left guard after Williams suffered an injury in November. Having gained starter experience, both Su’a-filo and Joe Looney will play integral parts when restructuring the O-Line next season.

Backup left tackle Cameron Fleming wasn’t as much of a contribution as the team needed meaning that an viable LT should be prioritized to cover for Tyron Smith. Fleming will become an unrestricted free agent this off season and his roster status remains in question.

The absolute wonderful thing about this Cowboys roster is the all-around youth, the willingness to adapt and be coachable as we’ve seen this season. Yes, the Cowboys have some serious business to take care of this offseason, but I am confident in this teams ability to continue moving forward.

Personally I disagree with this list. I would add tight end and remove OL. Not that I wouldn't do something on the OL, I just feel TE is a bigger hole. Also, I kind of think La'el finished the season pretty strong.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Agreed. He's overselling La'El Collins' struggles. He was an above average tackle this year.

And yeah.... "Connor Williams 'took some time' to develop." Way to bury the lead. He's a rookie 2nd round pick, dumbass, of course he took some time to develop. But he developed nicely. Probably will be significantly better next year.

TE is a much bigger need, unless you for some dumb reason think you should be counting on undrafted Blake Jarwin or 4th round pick Dalton Schultz more than you should be counting on Connor Williams.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
1. TE
2. 1-technique DT
3. Safety

And, firing the head coach, the offensive coordinator, and shove a cattle prod up Marinelli’s ass roughly enough to get him to understand the significance and importance of having a 1-tech DT.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
1. TE
2. 1-technique DT
3. Safety

And, firing the head coach, the offensive coordinator, and shove a cattle prod up Marinelli’s ass roughly enough to get him to understand the significance and importance of having a 1-tech DT.
If we fire the HC and OC, I'd hope we'd be smart enough to fire the DC, too.

But I guess if you had mentioned that, you wouldn't have been able to fit your snappy cattle prod joke in.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. TE
2. 1-technique DT
3. Safety

I'd say...

1. 3 Technique DT
2. Safety
3. TE

4. RB

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I feel like we've needed a DT and a safety around these parts for what seems like forever now.

This organization just doesn't value those positions for whatever reason.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
1. 1-tech DT
2. S
3. TE
4. LT
5. RB2

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing. I just wanted to fire you up this morning.
I figured. Maybe I'm just not much in a riled up mood this morning.

But I do like talking QBs. Especially potential new ones. It's nothing against Dak, I think he is doing a really good job but there is such an advantage to having an elite QB. Especially one on a cheap deal for a few years. Just not sure how to get there. This draft wouldn't be worth it more than likely. Although I like some of the second tier QBs. But without a new offensive coordinator and QB coach to develop them we would probably be spinning our wheels.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. 1-tech DT
2. S
3. TE
4. LT
5. RB2
I'm actually surprised people think a 1 technique is a bigger need in Dallas than a 3 technique. Maybe it's the Rams impact. We got shredded so now everyone wants the giant run plugger in the middle. I actually would far prefer a real 3 technique. A guy who can pressure the QB and make some serious penetration to cause problems for a team run game. I like Antwaun Woods as a 1 technique. My bigger concerns is the 3 spot where we should be getting a guy who can really cause havoc and instead we get guys who can maybe get you 3 or 4 sacks a year with limited pressure. Irving is donzo unfortunately.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm actually surprised people think a 1 technique is a bigger need in Dallas than a 3 technique. Maybe it's the Rams impact. We got shredded so now everyone wants the giant run plugger in the middle. I actually would far prefer a real 3 technique. A guy who can pressure the QB and make some serious penetration to cause problems for a team run game. I like Antwaun Woods as a 1 technique. My bigger concerns is the 3 spot where we should be getting a guy who can really cause havoc and instead we get guys who can maybe get you 3 or 4 sacks a year with limited pressure. Irving is donzo unfortunately.
I'm with you on the 3T DT. I think that pressure up the middle is crucial to become an elite defense. I'm also wary of the potential drop off of Woods. Seems like the players that come from nowhere always fall back to earth the next year. Let's just get both.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm with you on the 3T DT. I think that pressure up the middle is crucial to become an elite defense. I'm also wary of the potential drop off of Woods. Seems like the players that come from nowhere always fall back to earth the next year. Let's just get both.
Yeah and I'm not against a 340 pound 1 technique. They are probably easier to find in the draft too. But one of the most important players in this defense is the 3 technique. And we just didn't get that much production from that spot. We need someone that can actually make plays in the backfield on a consistent basis.

It sucks not having a first round pick. But there are a lot of DT's projected to go in the first. If one of them slips to the second I'd probably be all over it. Someone like Dre'Mont Jones from Ohio State, Jeffrey Simmons, Rashaan Gary or Christian Wilkins of Clemson. Or maybe even Jerry Tillery? I didn't watch much Notre Dame but he sort of has the Irving build about him. Which I think the 6'6" - 6'7" monsters have been some of our best 3 techniques. Guys like Jason Hatcher and David Irving have been the most disruptive DT's we have had here. And that's not even including Williams or Oliver who I think are sure first round DT's. So it's possible one of these guys slips to the second.

And if Dexter Lawrence slips instead I'm not going to scoff at him simply because he is a 1 technique instead.

My problem is I'm also a huge fan of TJ Hockenson and what he could do for our offense as both a receiver and blocker at TE. Dude can block people up as a blocker and catches balls as well as any of the TE's in this class. He isn't as flashy athletically as Noah Fant but he is the type of guy you steal in the second round and he becomes a stud.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't separate the DT need out to 1-T or 3-T, I'd be open to either at any point in the draft if it's BPA or near it. All things being equal I might lean 3-T but either type of DT would be an upgrade.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Hockenson has a better chance of going in the 1st than he does making it to our pick in the 2nd, so if he's there he has to be the pick, unless you have another similarly ranked prospect like Wilkins or Simmons who by a miracle somehow makes it to the end of the 2nd as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't separate the DT need out to 1-T or 3-T, I'd be open to either at any point in the draft if it's BPA or near it. All things being equal I might lean 3-T but either type of DT would be an upgrade.
Sure if you're talking draft. But if you're just talking pure need. We have guys that can play the 1 technique spot well. Maybe not elite but Woods was a big part of this great run defense all year. Collins can play it as well.

I'm just not sure who our play making 3 technique is. It should have been David Irving. Crawford was probably our best 3 technique but we refused to leave him there once again and kept trying to play him at DE. Collins can spot duty at the 3 spot but he leaves a lot to be desired there. If I'm trying to make this defense elite it's safety and 3 technique. No question in my mind. Those are two of the most important pieces to the style of defense we play.

The free agent market for DT's looks kind of sad right now. Love Grady Jarrett but after that it's sort of scraping the bottom of the barrel of washed up old DT's. I guess Sheldon Richardson but he has so many red flags and I think the Vikes will find a way to keep him. Philon intrigues me but he should be a cheap option. Not a prized free agent. So yeah the draft is probably our best bet. And in that case I'm just looking for a talented DT period.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jarrett is a monster and I'd break the bank for him, relatively speaking. All this talk from Stephen about how they avoid free agency is bullshit considering that they idiotically offered Sammy Watkins something like 15+ a year last offseason. They just need to be smarter about who they go after, and going hard after Jarrett if he isn't franchised would be a very smart move.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I think Hockenson has a better chance of going in the 1st than he does making it to our pick in the 2nd, so if he's there he has to be the pick, unless you have another similarly ranked prospect like Wilkins or Simmons who by a miracle somehow makes it to the end of the 2nd as well.
Kinds sounds like a first rounder from this:

NAME: T.J. Hockenson

SCHOOL: Iowa

POSITION: Tight End

CLASS: Redshirt Sophomore

JERSEY: No. 38

RECRUITMENT RATING: 3-star

HT: 6-5

WT: 243 lbs

D.O.B.: 7/3/1997

Route Running – Arc releases at the LOS are effective to filter out from in-line alignment. Very smooth and natural at the top of his routes. Has shown versatility on stick routes, deep crossers, delays, seam routes, motioned flat routes, etc to provide ample impact in the air.

Hands – Wonderful softness in hands to ensure he’s snaring the ball. Caught a wet ball well (PSU, 2018) without gloves. Has softness to his hands to ensure he’s not jarred and missing the nose of the football in contested situations.

Versatility – A do it all TE prospect. Well versed in life as an in-line blocker, perfectly comfortable in pass protection and has excelled in that area. RAC monster, catch point winner, in-line TE with vertical ability. A true X-factor weapon.

Contested Catch Ability – Has high pointed a few (Indiana, Wisconsin 2018) balls with good sturdiness as contacted and strong hand-eye coordination. Well developed frame and catch radius flash and allow him to be a bail-out option in tight coverage situations.

Run After Catch Ability – More of a second gear than you’d expect for his stature, has blown through pursuit angles on more than one occasion and made defenders look silly. Has hurdled more than one defender in the open field as well. Powerful, difficult to wrestle down at the catch point.

Power At POA – One of the most tenacious blockers I’ve ever laid eyes on. The foot urgency and finishing skills are tremendous, will bury DEs and OLBs alike. Effective to collapse or wash down and ensure there’s a soft edge for ball carriers.

Competitive Toughness –Love his play demeanor. Is a player you’d love to clone ten of for your offense. Functional strength is exceptional, as is his relentlessness to get under the pads of defenders. Works hard to reset his hands and establish his base to uproot.

Flexibility –His lower half moves well, but he isn’t the free moving athlete that his teammate (Fant) is. Plays with control and fluidity, graceful in efforts to pivot sharply. Shows effective leverage and pad level as a drive blocker in the run game.

Balance –Blocking balance is terrific, shows an ability to play sticky on lateral contact and work his feet to leverage himself appropriately relative to the play. Will make far angled blocks look easy with how smooth he is scraping across the face to reset the hook.

Football Intelligence –Impressive polish for just a redshirt sophomore, wins in ample ways and does so not just with unique and special athletic skills but also from a technical standpoint as well. Should experience a lesser transition to the NFL, given his in-line pedigree. [HR][/HR]
BEST TRAIT – Versatility

WORST TRAIT – Deep Speed (I guess?)

BEST FILM – Wisconsin (2018)

WORST FILM – Penn State (2018)

RED FLAGS – None

T.J. Hockenson is one of the easiest/hardest evaluations of my season. Hockenson is terrifically balanced as a football player and it doesn’t take more than a few reps to know he’s an immediate starter at the NFL level with scheme diversity. The challenge for Hockenson’s tape? Listing a weakness. Hockenson is comfortable in any number of roles, giving comfort that he’ll be fine in WCO or vertical passing offenses alike. He’s a scheme transcendent prospect.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Just read that there is a good chance the Bucs release Gerald McCoy, that'd be another strong option who may come cheaper than most would assume.

Top Bottom