Cowboys Coaches Watch Thread...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I would sign up for Sean Payton anyday and twice on Sunday. HOWEVER, it is hard to say we underperformed this year. Based on our roster, I think we got to where we should have. We lost to a superior team in the divisional round. We would have to have beat three superior teams in a row to win the SB. Unlikely to happen. If you just look at QB, the most important position, we had the worst QB, statistically speaking, in the divisional round with the notable exception of Foles. Luck, Mahomes, Goff, Brees, Brady, Rivers. These are all elite or top tier QBs. We have an above average QB who is pretty good in the clutch (similar to Foles really). Can we win with Dak? Sure. We need a stellar defense that forces turnovers. Our defense isn't there yet. I think we're a DT and a safety away from that.

So would I can Garrett right now? Well probably not unless I had someone I know would be an upgrade and who could be had. Like a quarter of the league fired their coaches. The pool out there is a bit thin. Personally I would mirror Garrett's extension to Payton's availability. Hopefully in the intervening 2 years Stephen takes over more and more responsibility and hiring a coach who wants to shop for groceries won't be such a bad thing.
More or less exactly what I've said. I think it is both reasonable to say that Garrett can get a team to about division winning/wildcard winning, but probably not over the hump without extreme fortune, while I think you can also say, even with Sean Payton coaching this team this year, we probably don't beat the Rams.

p1_

DCC 4Life

this is good to read. Daks footwork will improve, and it needs to.

p1_

DCC 4Life

This will shatter Dak's world. Hes so risk averse its sickening.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

this is good to read. Daks footwork will improve, and it needs to.
Absolutely.

Right now he seems to be more accurate when he's throwing on the move. Back in the pocket he never seems to have the footwork down, lots of different release points. But throwing on the run he's money.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Absolutely.

Right now he seems to be more accurate when he's throwing on the move. Back in the pocket he never seems to have the footwork down, lots of different release points. But throwing on the run he's money.
He throws off his back foot a LOT. That's a big reason for his inconsistency. Both overthrows and underthrows are generally cause by foot work, and more specifically, in a clean pocket, from throwing off your back foot.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He throws off his back foot a LOT. That's a big reason for his inconsistency. Both overthrows and underthrows are generally cause by foot work, and more specifically, in a clean pocket, from throwing off your back foot.
I think it would help if he had a clean pocket more often. Specifically up the middle where he is able to step into his throws. Too often this season at least the pocket was pushed back into his face. I'd wager that having Frederick back would help this a ton though. While Looney was serviceable he was a bottom tier starting NFL center starting next to a rookie LG/Castoff LG.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Damn those Kitna QB videos have me excited about that guy. He's what Dak needs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damn those Kitna QB videos have me excited about that guy. He's what Dak needs.
Yeah I think he will make for a really good QB coach. Someone that might actually be capable of taking Dak's game to the next level.

p1_

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Cowboys Break: Who's Calling the Plays?[/h]

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

This will shatter Dak's world. Hes so risk averse its sickening.
Good clip. But what happens when the HC is still risk averse. Garrett isn't exactly Mike Martz. He's those other 10 years Kitna had where he didn't learn anything.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good clip. But what happens when the HC is still risk averse. Garrett isn't exactly Mike Martz. He's those other 10 years Kitna had where he didn't learn anything.
Not sure, none of us really know how involved Garrett really is with anything. He doesn't call plays. Not exactly sure what he does other then gives stellar speeches to the players.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
More or less exactly what I've said. I think it is both reasonable to say that Garrett can get a team to about division winning/wildcard winning, but probably not over the hump without extreme fortune, while I think you can also say, even with Sean Payton coaching this team this year, we probably don't beat the Rams.
A head coach who contributes meaningful teaching and vision impacts his team every day. With Payton in place we’d never have Linehan or Moore, over-relied on Elliott, and had a much greater chance at steady improvement at more than just select defensive positions.

Dallas is a very talented team that can never realize its potential because our head-coaching is fundamentally rooted in an old school philosophy that was fricking mostly self-taught.

A guy like Payton can get the most out of his players. I’m not sure how much more talented the Saints are vs how better prepared they are to play. If not for either an uncharacteristically low throw by Brees or a ridiculously unthrown flag he’s in the Super Bowl again.

Swap Payton and Garrett, and I strongly believe Payton takes Dallas further than Garrett takes New Orleans.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Dak appears to be down. Fix them foots.

p1_

DCC 4Life

So now the media goes to Dak. Brilliant idea, management.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

So now the media goes to Dak. Brilliant idea, management.
I wish he had the chance to work under someone like McVay, Payton or Reid for a year or two. I think he could learn a ton and become a great offensive coordinator. But working under Linehan and Garrett most of his career worries me. Those aren't great mentors in my opinion.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are never going to see him say anything negative, though. I always tune him out when he is speaking. Its all just company line.
Yeah he is a company man. He will never criticize anyone except himself. You want that in your team leader but it doesn't mean much as a fan trying to learn much.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I wish he had the chance to work under someone like McVay, Payton or Reid for a year or two. I think he could learn a ton and become a great offensive coordinator. But working under Linehan and Garrett most of his career worries me. Those aren't great mentors in my opinion.
I agree, the lineage doesnt excite at all. But, by this time, Moore ought to know this offense inside and out. He needs to be able to help it evolve.

The passing game needs to improve vastly, meaning Dak needs to evolve and improve this coming season. Kitna should be a big help to Dak. If Moore is the hire, I would expect Garrett to have tight control of the offense and Moore.

Top Bottom