2019 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Yeah it would have been nice to at least have him as a backup guard/center to start the season. And everything Martin has been dealing with may have opened the door for the guy. Instead it's probably going to be a year of bulking up and hopefully he will come back bigger and stronger like Connor Williams did.
Looney would probably get the start over him this year

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Was Roy Williams legislated out of football?
No, he was pushed out because the game evolved. Safeties that covered as horribly as he did were not going to last all that long.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
He got older, chubbier, and guys like Jerramy Stevens and Chris Cooley started to eat his lunch. Not sure there would have been that rule had he hurt a scrub instead of TO.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
No, he was pushed out because the game evolved. Safeties that covered as horribly as he did were not going to last all that long.
The downfall began when he started dating the Destiny's Child chick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know that it's totally true. He was a different player as his career went on. Early in his career he played great and would have even been great in todays NFL.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I don't know that it's totally true. He was a different player as his career went on. Early in his career he played great and would have even been great in todays NFL.
If he were drafted into today's NFL, he would set the record for personal fouls.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
His best year was with Woodson. The rest was pretending he was a real safety.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I agree with Woodson, had he played a decade earlier he would have been Lott II

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Lott came into the league as a cornerback though. He had like 7 INTs his rookie year. He was very good in coverage. I don't see the Roy Williams comparison other than hitting hard.

As an aside, I hate the 49ers and they beat us in the conference championship that year but that 81 team was exciting. Lott and Dwight Hicks had like 16(!) combined INTs. I know it was a different league but they just terrorized QBs that year.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Lott came into the league as a cornerback though. He had like 7 INTs his rookie year. He was very good in coverage. I don't see the Roy Williams comparison other than hitting hard.

As an aside, I hate the 49ers and they beat us in the conference championship that year but that 81 team was exciting. Lott and Dwight Hicks had like 16(!) combined INTs. I know it was a different league but they just terrorized QBs that year.
Roy had 5 int's and 2 TD's his rookie year, he would have been a terror with the rules of the 80's (the further back you go the better for his game) with the vicious hits and the knack for the big play. His "lack of coverage skills" are highly exaggerated and I think got worse the more the refs got into his head.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Roy had 5 int's and 2 TD's his rookie year, he would have been a terror with the rules of the 80's (the further back you go the better for his game) with the vicious hits and the knack for the big play. His "lack of coverage skills" are highly exaggerated and I think got worse the more the refs got into his head.
I just think he got fat and lazy and the hits took a toll on him. It probably did help him playing next to a really good veteran safety as well. But that's not unusual. I still think the talent we initially saw with him would translate just fine to todays NFL. Hell the NFL today uses a lot of safeties in a dual LBer/safety type role. But for whatever reason his talent faded quickly. Some players last 15 years with no decline. And some last 5 years. I'm not really sure how you can predict it beyond work ethic.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just think he got fat and lazy and the hits took a toll on him. It probably did help him playing next to a really good veteran safety as well. But that's not unusual. I still think the talent we initially saw with him would translate just fine to todays NFL. Hell the NFL today uses a lot of safeties in a dual LBer/safety type role. But for whatever reason his talent faded quickly. Some players last 15 years with no decline. And some last 5 years. I'm not really sure how you can predict it beyond work ethic.
He played when the big box safety ala Steve Atwater and David Fulcher were on the way out as teams were beginning to turn away from the run. He quite simply was bad in coverage. Then the horse collar thing, Destiny's Beeotch and he lost confidence. People forget how bad he was in coverage the more time goes by.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
He played when the big box safety ala Steve Atwater and David Fulcher were on the way out as teams were beginning to turn away from the run. He quite simply was bad in coverage. Then the horse collar thing, Destiny's Beeotch and he lost confidence. People forget how bad he was in coverage the more time goes by.

He had some speed early on, but even in this clip from his rookie year, the INT was due to Ramsey's overthrow, not because Roy was blanketing a receiver. Doesn't help that Ed Reed was taken in the same draft. :picard

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
He liked to throw his hands up in the air after giving up a big play, too.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

He had some speed early on, but even in this clip from his rookie year, the INT was due to Ramsey's overthrow, not because Roy was blanketing a receiver. Doesn't help that Ed Reed was taken in the same draft. :picard
HERE COMES THE BOOM!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!

GOTDAMNIT ROY!!!!!!!!!!!111111!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom