2019 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
As long as it doesn’t interfere with his becoming a better passer.

No NFL offense should be built around the fucking QB running the god damned football.

The greatest QB’s of all time are known for NOT RUNNING THE GOD DAMNED FOOTBALL.

It’s at best a short termed cop out for not being able to run the ball or a gimmick to shake things up at a key juncture.

NOT something to BUILD around.
It's meant to be something else the defense has to plan for, not "building your offense around it". It's a tool that should be used. Period.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

No NFL offense should be built around the fucking QB running the god damned football.

The greatest QB’s of all time are known for NOT RUNNING THE GOD DAMNED FOOTBALL.

It’s at best a short termed cop out for not being able to run the ball or a gimmick to shake things up at a key juncture.

The NFL has changed. The read option is used an insane amount by some NFL teams and it works to perfection. To compare what's happening today with what happened decades ago is silly. It's like a different game now.

Put me in the corner of wanting to use Daks rushing ability to trick the defense more. Doesn't mean he has to rush the ball a bunch. But use it to take a guy out of a play because that guy has to defend Dak's running ability.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Having Prescott as a pocket passer is definitely not something to build around either.

I am firmly in the camp of he is what is will always be. I don't see him ever becoming a precision passer who can hurt a team through his arm alone.

He needs the threat of mobility.

There is no shame in that. If he ends up with a Russell Wilson-type career, good enough.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There is no shame in that. If he ends up with a Russell Wilson-type career, good enough.
Wilson’s become a damned fine passer.

If they could bring in better WRs, he wouldn’t need to threaten to run so much. It’s a nice dimension a couple of times a game, but they get conservative because at the end of the day guys like Lockett and Baldwin aren’t good enough. It has nothing to do with Wilson’s arm or touch for sure and it hasn’t been for a couple of years now.

p1_

DCC 4Life

not build around, but to leverage. Foolish not to utilize his abilities to the max.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Having Prescott as a pocket passer is definitely not something to build around either.

I am firmly in the camp of he is what is will always be. I don't see him ever becoming a precision passer who can hurt a team through his arm alone.

He needs the threat of mobility.

I agree the first three years gives me no ease that he will ever get past the tendency to hang onto the ball too long. He cannot seem to be able to anticipate a receivers moves and throw to that area. I am pulling for the guy but I’m keeping my money in my pocket until he proves me wrong.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
How often does Cam Newton run the ball? And I recall Steve Young used to run quite a bit. He did okay with it. It's true that a NFL QB can't make running the ball the centerpiece of an offense. But to keep a defense honest, make them account for it in a RPO situation, is a definite advantage.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
How often does Cam Newton run the ball? And I recall Steve Young used to run quite a bit. He did okay with it. It's true that a NFL QB can't make running the ball the centerpiece of an offense. But to keep a defense honest, make them account for it in a RPO situation, is a definite advantage.
It is and it is also short-sighted. The best QBs always keep plays alive with their legs, but running the ball as a featured gimmick is just that. A gimmick.

Its no different than any other kind of razzle dazzle, just less spectacular. Oh yeah it also puts the most important player on the field at greater risk.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Cam Newton averages 7.5 rushes per game over his career, 7.2 in 2018, and a single season career high of 8.7. Russell Wilson averages 5.7 over his career, 4.2 last year and a career high of 7.4. Dak only averages 3.9 over his career with last year being a career high at 4.7. I'd say he can easily handle 5-6 rushes a game without it being a physical burden or risking the play-calling being overly reliant on his running.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Cam Newton averages 7.5 rushes per game over his career, 7.2 in 2018, and a single season career high of 8.7. Russell Wilson averages 5.7 over his career, 4.2 last year and a career high of 7.4. Dak only averages 3.9 over his career with last year being a career high at 4.7. I'd say he can easily handle 5-6 rushes a game without it being a physical burden or risking the play-calling being overly reliant on his running.
Yes but RAWR and stuff....

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I truly hope all this kicking of the carcass is justified. I am just not convinced that you can hang all of it on Linehan. Things like that are rarely that cut and dried.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

I truly hope all this kicking of the carcass is justified. I am just not convinced that you can hang all of it on Linehan. Things like that are rarely that cut and dried.
Yeah, no way. This is the rationalization that always follows a firing.

There was a time when Linehan was very effective here, but last year’s talent did him few favors until Cooper arrived.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Jerry practically owns the DMN and the Fan anymore. Well, I guess he pretty much has always owned the Fan since they became the Flagship Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom