2019 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Regarding points 2 & 3, who do you see as those players who will step up and compensate for the lack of talent Dallas has at the coaching positions? We have a bunch of "lead-by-example" guys from what I can tell. But is there a player or two who moves the needle and commands the respect of the entire locker room? I don't think that player exists in Dallas. The 2000 Ravens that you referenced had Ray Lewis and a couple of others who fit that mold.

Also, I think you aren't giving those past Cowboys teams enough credit. We have had a ton of talent in Dallas the past 10 years. It's just being wasted on average at best coaching and a meddling front office. I'd argue that those 2007, 2009, 2014, and 2016 teams were just as talented as teams that have gone on to conference championship/Super Bowl appearances....Jax (2017), Atlanta (2016), Chicago (2010), and Denver (2015) to name a few.

You go line by line down the roster and those Cowboys rosters had just as much talent as those teams. The difference is the coaches of those teams pushed the right buttons when it mattered most. Coaching matters immensely in a league driven by roster parity.
Well wait, I wasn't predicting a Superbowl win. I was just saying this team is so talented they could make a deep run despite having an empty suit at HC.

Side note though, I do think going down the roster, this team is more talented than the 2007 or 2009 ones. Probably by a fair amount. Only question there is QB, which admittedly is huge. But the book is still open on Dak, and it's not like Romo was Dan Marino anyway.

But you mention leadership -- that is something Dak seems to have. Witten has it. I think Jaylon Smith has it. And the Hot Boyz, need I say more?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
do you see the date on that tweet?

Cotton

Staff member
do you see the date on that tweet?
Yep, and it's a good reminder that he isn't being used as much as he should be.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep, and it's a good reminder that he isn't being used as much as he should be.
I am giving this one up because Richard is way too hung up on the length thing. All Lewis can do is keep playing hard when being given his limited opportunities, which I don't see any indication he isn't.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Must be a slow day for the guy that runs the official Twitter account.

p1_

DCC 4Life

God, I hope he has a better number than 18. 18 sucks for a receiver.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I dunno what is with our receiver group, not many have numbers in the 80s.

p1_

DCC 4Life
So they don't get compared to previous generations receivers and can make their own legacy. :dunce
meanwhile we get Cooper 19, Gallup 13 , Cobb 18, Hurns 17 and Wilson 16. Lame.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

That was Cobbs number in GB too, I'd bet he asked for it

• Props
Reactions: p1_

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Film room: Why rookie RB Tony Pollard will be a versatile weapon for the Cowboys in 2019

By John Owning Contact John Owning on Twitter: @JohnOwning Earlier this week, we discussed why Jourdan Lewis and George Iloka will have key roles on the Cowboys' defense despite not starting. Today, it's Tony Pollard's turn, as we detail how and why the rookie running back will be a key reserve in 2019.

To get an idea of how the Cowboys can use Pollard off the bench, we must first look at how the team utilized Lance Dunbar, who sat behind a talented back in DeMarco Murray for most of his career, a few years ago.

For those who don't remember, Dunbar was a diminutive back -- listed at 5-foot-8, 187 pounds -- and an outstanding athlete who was dynamic with the ball in his hands (averaged more than 10 yards per touch in 2015) during his Cowboys career (2012-17). Injuries, however, mostly derailed what could have been an impressive career with the team. He only played a full 16 games once and had three seasons with less than 10 played.

Though their offense has been (rightfully) criticized for being unimaginative during the Dak Prescott era, the Cowboys were actually extremely creative in the ways they utilized Dunbar. They figured out a variety of ways to get him involved in the offense and on special teams. Here are some examples:

In the 10 plays included in the clip above, Dunbar is used a myriad of ways on the ground and through the air from varying alignments. The Cowboys used motion to create mismatches with Dunbar against second-level defenders in the pass game and used him as a traditional running back while also using him as a return man on special teams.

Possessing receiver-like abilities to go with his proficiency as a running back, the Cowboys would be wise to use Pollard in a similar way by moving him across the formation to create mismatches and get him the ball in space while also using him as a traditional running back. In fact, Pollard should be an even more effective weapon for the Cowboys.

Pollard can essentially be a bigger, more explosive, durable and talented version of Dunbar. During his time in Memphis, Pollard was used as a hybrid RB/WR/Wildcat QB, which allowed him to show off his versatility as a playmaker.

He's outstanding in space, displaying eye-popping speed and impressive elusiveness, but also has no qualms running between the tackles, possesses notable vision, patience and toughness as a runner.

He possesses receiver-like skills as well. Though his route-running is rudimentary at this point, Pollard has the speed to run away from coverage to go along with the strong hands and leaping ability to win at the catch point.

Don't be surprised if new offensive coordinator Kellen Moore uses his time as Dunbar's teammate (2015-16) as inspiration to find ways to incorporate Pollard in the offense. Pollard is such a versatile weapon that his impact can only be limited by the imagination and commitment of the Cowboys' staff, which is why the rookie running back will be a key reserve in 2019.

Cotton

Staff member
Thank you, kind sir.

Cotton

Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Former Cowboy Cole Beasley Was Right On The Money With Two Things[/h]

Cotton