DCC 4Life
there goes some Marinelli love.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jeff Heath was hiding when he looked around.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
[h=1]Connor Williams’ Offseason Is Worth The Weight[/h]

FRISCO, Texas – Pro football is a unique occupation where body weight is a discussion point regarding your job performance.

In Connor Williams’ case, more pounds is a primary step toward building on his 2018 rookie season.

“The main focus during the offseason is strength and getting the power up,” the second-year guard said. “I think I’ve put myself in a good position. Now it’s just about refining the technique and feeling comfortable.”

Williams, the Cowboys’ 2018 second-round draft pick, knew last season he needed to add weight and bulk. An immediate starter at left guard, he had difficulty sustaining a consistent base against veteran pass rushers such as Carolina’s Kawann Short and Washington’s Jonathan Allen.

Williams underwent a knee scope last November and split time at guard with veteran Xavier Su’a-Filo down the stretch, including two starts in playoff games against the Seahawks and Rams.

Now, four months into the offseason, Williams’ hard work in the weight room is apparent. He’s up to a rugged 315 pounds after playing at a “light 300” last year, he said.

A player’s first full NFL offseason program is particularly beneficial. During the grind of a rookie season, the goal is simply maintaining weight and strength. Before that, players are in college balancing classes with football and finding the right diet.

Williams has been a standout performer in the voluntary program to this point, improving his rookie strength numbers. He credits his lifting partner, All-Pro guard Zack Martin, and Cowboys director of strength and conditioning Mike Woicik, for support this spring.

At this week’s open OTA session, Williams worked at first-team left tackle with Tyron Smith (rest), La’el Collins (offseason shoulder surgery) and Cameron Fleming (leg contusion) sitting out of 11-on-11 work. Once everyone’s back, he figures to be back in the left guard group.

The Cowboys are excited about his potential in 2019

Football is very important to him,” Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones said recently. “He loves the game, and my understanding he's put on some really good weight and added some really good strength. I think he can make a big jump.”

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Really would prefer to see McCoy’s name in there. But we won’t.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Cut Crawford and sign McCoy. That would be the smart move.
Yep. The salary tradeoff wouldn’t be that much, and the increased production would more than compensate for it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm marginally excited about the improvement on the OL, Fredbeard's return, Witten's return (better/more reliable than the trash we had, at least), the full year from Cooper, Gallup is no longer a rookie, Cobb may very well be an upgrade over Beasley, and at least some new looks on the offense. All should represent improvements.

And while we didn't get the defensive improvement I was really pining for, especially at DT and FS, I mean, I can't imagine we are any worse on D.

Gregory out but Quinn in, should be no worse than a wash and maybe a significant improvement. Lawrence hopefully is better than his 10 sacks from last year (better be for the money he's getting). The interior of the DL hopefully is better (Irving is gone but he only played 2 games anyway). LVE and Smith have another year of starting experience, Lee is back as a sub. Still say Eric Berry should hop aboard this train.

Fuck it, lets roll.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm marginally excited about the improvement on the OL, Fredbeard's return, Witten's return (better/more reliable than the trash we had, at least), the full year from Cooper, Gallup is no longer a rookie, Cobb may very well be an upgrade over Beasley, and at least some new looks on the offense. All should represent improvements.

And while we didn't get the defensive improvement I was really pining for, especially at DT and FS, I mean, I can't imagine we are any worse on D.

Gregory out but Quinn in, should be no worse than a wash and maybe a significant improvement. Lawrence hopefully is better than his 10 sacks from last year (better be for the money he's getting). The interior of the DL hopefully is better (Irving is gone but he only played 2 games anyway). LVE and Smith have another year of starting experience, Lee is back as a sub. Still say Eric Berry should hop aboard this train.

Fuck it, lets roll.
:roboclap

Take it how you prefer.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I mean, yeah, this team is crazy talented. Quinn was absolutely right -- there are no real weaknesses, and the weaknesses that do exist are relatively minor. We're in a better position than the vast majority of teams in this league.

I would say there are no more excuses and it's time to do something this year, but I know there will be excuses. There are every year.

Cotton

Staff member

I don't guess I knew that the Cowboys only had 10 men on the field on this play. If I ever did know that, I have obviously since forgotten it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I don't guess I knew that the Cowboys only had 10 men on the field on this play. If I ever did know that, I have obviously since forgotten it.
That reminds me of a story about a fern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom