2019 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I guess I'm the only one who likes Byron Jones. Yeah, he got burned a few times at the end of the year but he was mostly excellent in his first season at corner. I don't think it's as simple as drafting another rangy guy and sticking him in there.
You aren’t the only one. I thought he had a good season last year.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I guess I'm the only one who likes Byron Jones. Yeah, he got burned a few times at the end of the year but he was mostly excellent in his first season at corner. I don't think it's as simple as drafting another rangy guy and sticking him in there.
Nah, I like Jones. Think he did a good job, now that he's in the right position.

If we weren't going to be tight up against it trying to sign a lot of high priced guys the next couple years, I'd like to try and keep him. But we have some good young corners, and he just might be priced out of all the guys we are going to need to try and re sign.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm a big Jones fan. I think he's very good.

That said, there's a fiscal reality that you have to face and Jones very well may get caught in that.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

That said, there's a fiscal reality that you have to face and Jones very well may get caught in that.
Yeah, you can't keep everyone while paying them a king's ransom, no matter what tweaks you make to their contracts.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I don't think he is nearly as good as some people think.

All Pro? No fucking way. Hip issue or not.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
If Jones had any real ball skills there would be less of a question how good he is.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don’t think anyone on this board doesn’t think he’ is a quality CB who had maybe his best season last year.

But would you sign him to the mega deal his pro bowl creds are going to demand?

I wouldn’t, and I don’t think a lot of folks here would either.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don’t think anyone on this board doesn’t think he’ is a quality CB who had maybe his best season last year.

But would you sign him to the mega deal his pro bowl creds are going to demand?

I wouldn’t, and I don’t think a lot of folks here would either.
Mega deal, probably not. We don't know for sure what he's sign for though, right? I wouldn't mind paying him quite a bit if the other pieces are taken care of.

I guess part of my point is that at some point this good streak of drafting is going to run out, so I'm wary of thinking you can always replace very good players with new draft picks and it work out okay.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We can't even keep everyone at "market value" -- let alone if some guys are gonna ask for the moon like Lawrence.

Jones would have to take a real bargain deal for me to want to keep him. I mean, he's gotta be near the bottom of guys I'd want to sign to big contracts of all our free agents coming up in the next two years. I probably am going to prefer Awuzie getting the long term contract, if we're gonna pay a CB.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I guess part of my point is that at some point this good streak of drafting is going to run out, so I'm wary of thinking you can always replace very good players with new draft picks and it work out okay.
Oh yeah it's almost certainly going to run out, for example we were phenomenally lucky in 2016 taking Prescott in the 4th instead of trading back up into the 1st for Paxton Lynch like we just barely missed doing.

Though I will say the Cowboys approach is finally right: Listen to McClay and your well-paid, talented scouts and pay less attention to your idiot coaches and owners.

We still have the occasional bouts of shortcut-taking idiocy like Gregory, but for the most part we are drafting appropriate talent where it needs to be taken.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is true but many thought Byron was a bust until we got him in the right defense playing the right position. I think it's what makes corner a much easier position for us to draft and replace than say a 10 sack DE. Corner is just lower on the priority list on defense. We need to focus on the D-line and keeping around our two freak LBers for the rest of their career. That's what we should be building around. And unfortunately a paying a corner big money may hinder that. In a different defense things might be different.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
We can't even keep everyone at "market value" -- let alone if some guys are gonna ask for the moon like Lawrence.

Jones would have to take a real bargain deal for me to want to keep him. I mean, he's gotta be near the bottom of guys I'd want to sign to big contracts of all our free agents coming up in the next two years. I probably am going to prefer Awuzie getting the long term contract, if we're gonna pay a CB.

I'd let someone else overpay him like they did for Claiborne and whatshisname a couple of seasons ago and gladly collect my comp picks.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
By: ryan welch | 14 hours ago

Rico Gathers has had a rough start to 2019, with Jason Witten’s return virtually assuring a tight squeeze at the tight end position. and now, TMZ has released the body cam footage of Gathers’ August arrest for marijuana possession.

[video]https://cdnapisec.kaltura.com/html5/html5lib/v2.69/mwEmbedFrame.php/p/591531/uiconf_id/6740162/entry_id/1_mjqid96r?wid=_591531&iframeembed=true&playerId=k altura-player-9999999999-52284864281584780&entry_id=1_mjqid96r#[/video]

Gathers was arrested August 31 on possession of marijuana, the day before the Dallas Cowboys’ final roster cuts. In the video, Gathers is seen on a park bench with a female companion, at night, when they are approached by two Frisco police officers. The video is the capture from one of the officer’s body cams.

After a conversation about the smell of marijuana in the air, Gathers turns over what appears to be unsmoked marijuana and is subsequently arrested for possession.

Gathers was originally drafted in the sixth round by the Cowboys, and while there was an understanding that there was a learning curve, converting from basketball player to tight end, the fourth year vet has failed to make much of an impact during his stint with the cowboys.

In his career he only has three catches for 45 yards all in 2018, with most of his time being spent on the practice squad his first two years.

With the return of Witten, the progression of young tight ends Blake Jarwin and Dalton Shultz, it will be difficult for the team to keep four tight ends on the roster, but stranger things have happened.

You can follow Ryan Welch on Twitter @Rywelch.

------------------------------------

I couldn't get the video to post, but the link will take you there.
Also... This dumb fuck got caught smoking weed out in the open the night before final cuts? :lol

p1_

DCC 4Life
... This dumb fuck got caught smoking weed out in the open the night before final cuts? :lol
he's not real bright.

Cotton

Staff member
This dumb fuck got caught smoking weed out in the open the night before final cuts?
And, ESPN led with the headline, "Rico Gathers arrested after caught peacefully smoking weed".

Cotton

Staff member

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Anyway you look at it, it's pretty damn dense to be smoking it in a public park regardless of the time of day. If you're going to toke, be smart enough to do it at home. I didn't watch the whole thing, did he blurt out the good ole "I play football in the NFL for Dallas."?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom