Status
Not open for further replies.

p1_

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Cowboys Break: New Draft Need Emerges[/h]

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Zeke and Gurley are the biggest reasons their respective teams were even in the picture.

A difference-making lead back gives all but the QB-less teams a major leg up.

You just can’t overuse them like the Cowboys lazily did to Barber and Murray, and are now doing to Zeke.
Yeah, if they're going to pay Zeke they're going to have to reduce his workload.

Assuming he gets a 4 or 5 year deal similar to what D. Freeman, D. Johnson, & Gurley received the last two years, you can expect his per year salary to be in that $13M - $15M range. The smart move would be to create a manageable workload that will allow him to remain one of the league's most productive RBs throughout the life of the contract. That way you're not stuck with a bad contract the last two years of the deal. At least time/age is on our side as Zeke would still be under age 30 by the time a 5 year contract expires.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think Zeke is a generational back and comparing him to a guy that has had health problems long term isn't fair. Signing him now to a long term deal where they can give the guaranteed money up front gives them makes him cuttable after 3-4 four years when and if he starts to decline. But for that first 3-4 more years you have arguably the best back in the league and ralistically your most important offensive player.
The problem with front-loading all the guaranteed money is that you open yourself up for a contract dispute on the backend of the deal; particularly if Zeke is still performing at an extremely high level.

Seems like more and more NFL players in positions of power/influence are wrangling for more guaranteed money. Especially when they know that teams routinely cut players before contracts are up. So there's definitely more of a "looking out for #1" mindset in modern day NFL players than there used to be.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't worry about Elliott making contract demands in Years 4/5 of a deal. He'd be about 29 at that point with 7-8 years of carries on his legs and you'd be looking to move on soon anyway. If it was up to me I'd look to do an extension with him with the goal of getting out of it/moving on once he gets to be 28 or 29.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This guy is so far out of touch with football reality he is just throwing things on the wall. This is the same guy that had all the insights on Kyler Murray and even went so far as to try to torpedo his image.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He burned down Jason Garrett, too. Talking about how he sabotaged Wade Phillips to get the HC job.

Go to his ass, Schmitty.
Not like I was believing much of what he said when it was just Romo.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
He burned down Jason Garrett, too. Talking about how he sabotaged Wade Phillips to get the HC job.
Well that's definitely true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom