2019 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So yeah, let's wait until the fifth for a WR3.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think Wilson/Austin/Hurns can fill that WR3 role. We have way too many needs (TE, DT, S, etc) to have the luxury of drafting a WR in rounds 2-4.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Thats a silly comparison. There are way more undrafted free agents than fifth round picks. A higher percentage of fifth round picks stick in the NFL than undrafted free agents.

data

Forbes #1
Thats a silly comparison. There are way more undrafted free agents than fifth round picks. A higher percentage of fifth round picks stick in the NFL than undrafted free agents.
What’s the breakdown for starters?

this is great if we want 53 punt gunners.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I think Wilson/Austin/Hurns can fill that WR3 role. We have way too many needs (TE, DT, S, etc) to have the luxury of drafting a WR in rounds 2-4.
I think we’ll cut Hurns. He’s not worth the $5M pricetag.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think we’ll cut Hurns. He’s not worth the $5M pricetag.
I agree and it may sound cold hearted but he had a pretty devestating injury. I don't know if he will even be as good as he was last season coming back from that injury.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So, assume Beasley hits the road. You still want to push off on a WR until the 5th?

I wouldn't be upset if we used as high as a third on one. We need more weapons on offense.
You take BPA every round.

Pretty simple.

There's basically not a single position on the team absent maybe RB that we shouldn't feel good about selecting with our first pick. Maybe linebacker as well.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Pretty simple.

There's basically not a single position on the team absent maybe RB that we shouldn't feel good about selecting with our first pick. Maybe linebacker as well.
Most organizations use the first 2 picks for need.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Pretty simple.

Maybe LBer? Hell we are probably better at LBer than RB.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Maybe LBer? Hell we are probably better at LBer than RB.
Depth wise, sure. But I think the premise of his post was about the starters. And that you don't want to take backups in the second round. And that's exactly what we'd be doing if we took a RB. At least at LBer, there is a spot where a 2nd rounder could step in alongside LVE and Smith. But LBer would be waaaaay down the list of where I'd like to go in the second round. And RB is further down than that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depth wise, sure. But I think the premise of his post was about the starters. And that you don't want to take backups in the second round. And that's exactly what we'd be doing if we took a RB. At least at LBer, there is a spot where a 2nd rounder could step in alongside LVE and Smith. But LBer would be waaaaay down the list of where I'd like to go in the second round. And RB is further down than that.
We use three LBers so minimally I'd say a backup RB could get just as many snaps. But yeah I'd be upset of we took either in the second round. They would basically have no path for future advancement with extremely talented guys who are young above them on the depth chart.

Ideally we will get a DT/TE/S

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We use three LBers so minimally I'd say a backup RB could get just as many snaps. But yeah I'd be upset of we took either in the second round. They would basically have no path for future advancement with extremely talented guys who are young above them on the depth chart.

Ideally we will get a DT/TE/S
Yes, it is a rarely used position and this draft is bad with them anyways in terms of starting caliber players. They are much better off going after that guy in free agency...like I suggested.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I agree and it may sound cold hearted but he had a pretty devestating injury. I don't know if he will even be as good as he was last season coming back from that injury.
That’s how I feel as well. And it’s not like Hurns was playing at some elite level. He was a JAG.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Certainly he's made enough money in this league to pay for a damn car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom