2019 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Dak is pretty good. Maybe a tiny bit better than Kirk Cousins.

You can win with him, but he’s not going to consistently put the team on his shoulders and go get a game you have to have. You’re going to need a real solid supporting cast and a decent to good defense to have success.

If that’s worth $35-$40million per, get ready to watch this team get progressively worse over the next 3-4 years. If you eat up that much cap on a guy that needs help, you won’t afford the help he needs.

Cluster. Fuck.
Hate to break it to you, but that's just the cost of doing business in today's NFL. If you don't want to pay Dak over $30M the alternative is starting all over and praying that this organization will be able to stumble upon another gem. Remember Romo & Dak were accidental lucks of the draw. Hell, Jerry and co. wanted Connor Cook and Paxton Lynch. They "settled" on Dak.

If you allow Dak to walk it will in all likelihood take them at least 3 seasons to find an adequate replacement. By that time most of the key talent that's currently on this roster will be gone or past their prime.

That's why I continue to point out that we should fix the coaching before making wholesale changes to the roster. Coaching is by far the biggest thing holding this team back. Perfect example is in New England. Tom Brady has been very average for about a season and a half but the Patriots are still winning because of the coaching.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Dak is pretty good. Maybe a tiny bit better than Kirk Cousins.

You can win with him, but he’s not going to consistently put the team on his shoulders and go get a game you have to have. You’re going to need a real solid supporting cast and a decent to good defense to have success.

If that’s worth $35-$40million per, get ready to watch this team get progressively worse over the next 3-4 years. If you eat up that much cap on a guy that needs help, you won’t afford the help he needs.

Cluster. Fuck.

No shit. Hell, we haven't been able to field a winner with him on his rookie deal. Now we're going to take up 50+ million/year on Dak and Cooper? Fuck all that. I let Cooper walk and franchise Dak. If Dak doesn't blow it up next year with a new coaching staff, I'd let him walk to. Before I give anyone that kind of money, there can be zero doubts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No shit. Hell, we haven't been able to field a winner with him on his rookie deal. Now we're going to take up 50+ million/year on Dak and Cooper? Fuck all that. I let Cooper walk and franchise Dak. If Dak doesn't blow it up next year with a new coaching staff, I'd let him walk to. Before I give anyone that kind of money, there can be zero doubts.
So what do you spend the cap on? You know that you can't choose to just not spend money?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The organization shouldn’t make the same mistake with Prescott they made with Elliot. There is an opportunity to get another season evaluation with Prescott before the contract has to be done. I can’t see the argument the other QBs get big deals so Dak should also. If and when the team shows some consistency with him at the helm I will be the first to say give him the money. No need to lay off blame on Coaching at this juncture because Prescott is to the point that he should be self reliant at his job. He can’t consistently perform at levels that top rated QBs do. When he can then he deserves top money.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If and when the team shows some consistency with him at the helm I will be the first to say give him the money.
13-3
9-7
10-6
7-8

With an overall record of 39-24 for a 61% winning percentage.

How much consistency do you require?

By comparison Aaron Rodgers has a 32-21-1 record over that same 2016-2019 stretch. And he's in the discussion for greatest QBs of all time.

I used Brady and Aaron Rodgers as examples in my last two posts because they are perfect examples outside of Dallas that show how coaching has shaped the narrative of how we view a QB's effectiveness.

Brady's production has been average for over a year, including in the Super Bowl, but no one cares because the Patriots coaching staff is smart enough to mitigate their weaknesses and maximize their strong areas.

While over in Green Bay, despite Rodgers putting up ridiculous passing numbers, the Packers were a bad team the last couple of years under Mike McCarthy and people were questioning Rodgers leadership style and character. Packers make a coaching change and voila, the team starts winning again and no one has said a peep about Rodgers being a bad teammate.

That was my long-winded way of saying we're probably not having these discussions about Dak still needing to prove himself if the Cowboys record were 10-5 instead of 7-8. You can point to at least 3 games this year where Dak was very good but thanks to the Cowboys coaching staff mismanaging the game (like at the end of the Minnesota game) they came away with losses.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
13-3
9-7
10-6
7-8

With an overall record of 39-24 for a 61% winning percentage.

How much consistency do you require?

By comparison Aaron Rodgers has a 32-21-1 record over that same 2016-2019 stretch. And he's in the discussion for greatest QBs of all time.

I used Brady and Aaron Rodgers as examples in my last two posts because they are perfect examples outside of Dallas that show how coaching has shaped the narrative of how we view a QB's effectiveness.

Brady's production has been average for over a year, including in the Super Bowl, but no one cares because the Patriots coaching staff is smart enough to mitigate their weaknesses and maximize their strong areas.

While over in Green Bay, despite Rodgers putting up ridiculous passing numbers, the Packers were a bad team the last couple of years under Mike McCarthy and people were questioning Rodgers leadership style and character. Packers make a coaching change and voila, the team starts winning again and no one has said a peep about Rodgers being a bad teammate.

That was my long-winded way of saying we're probably not having these discussions about Dak still needing to prove himself if the Cowboys record were 10-5 instead of 7-8. You can point to at least 3 games this year where Dak was very good but thanks to the Cowboys coaching staff mismanaging the game (like at the end of the Minnesota game) they came away with losses.
I agree completely. At this point you know that Dak is your guy. If you don't know then you should just move on. Their is no reason for the franchise tag at this point in his career. You've got plenty of tape and time to evaluate.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I agree completely. At this point you know that Dak is your guy. If you don't know then you should just move on. Their is no reason for the franchise tag at this point in his career. You've got plenty of tape and time to evaluate.
Yep, he is what he is. Not top 5, but probably bottom Tier 2 guy. He's Kirk Cousins. so pay him that (which, with inflation, will be north of 30 a year) and move on. When the new CBA goes into effect, he'll look like a bargain.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Silly to franchise Dak at this point, unless his demands are unreasonable. They are already married to him. It would be way harder to find a better replacement than it is to figure out how to build a team around his salary. Franchising only makes the price go up at this point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, he is what he is. Not top 5, but probably bottom Tier 2 guy. He's Kirk Cousins. so pay him that (which, with inflation, will be north of 30 a year) and move on. When the new CBA goes into effect, he'll look like a bargain.
Sure, it's more about finding a fair amount than it is needing another year of evaluation.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sure, it's more about finding a fair amount than it is needing another year of evaluation.
Well that was the whole basis of my position. Some say he should get a top tier contract and that is the reason I would tag him this year. If it came down to tagging him or give him top tier money then I am going to tag him because he has not made the top tier in my opinion. I would offer him a contract it would be for something around the $24.M figure and 4 years with incentives.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that was the whole basis of my position. Some say he should get a top tier contract and that is the reason I would tag him this year. If it came down to tagging him or give him top tier money then I am going to tag him because he has not made the top tier in my opinion. I would offer him a contract it would be for something around the $24.M figure and 4 years with incentives.
He would make more with the franchise tag...

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I think we're in a tough spot with Dak. Everyone knows he's not elite, but I do believe he's good. Exactly how good, I really don't have a solid opinion. His play has definitely improved but I was hoping to see him carry the team on his back in bad games. He didn't.
So the question I have is:
Yes, letting him walk is risky. You set yourself back. But do you REALLY want to lock him in to a six year deal? Are you sure?
Honestly, I'm walking the fence on this and can't draw a hard line either way.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I think we all need to remember we lucked into Dak. If we do let him go do you have any doubt that Jerry won't move up for the next Paxton Lynch?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Even being a great QB drafting team doesn't make it easy to find one.
Yep, and I don't trust Jerry and Co to find better than Dak even spending a 1(or God help us a 1+)

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, and I don't trust Jerry and Co to find better than Dak even spending a 1(or God help us a 1+)
To find better than Dak you'll have to find the next Mahomes, Brees or Rodgers. Drafting a Carson Wentz or Matthew Stafford doesn't get you anywhere further than you are now. Hell even Goff doesn't look like an improvement. You can either continue to try to win it all with Dak who is more than capable or you can muddle around for a decade buying raffle tickets to find the next truly special NFL QB.

GShock

DCC 4Life
To find better than Dak you'll have to find the next Mahomes, Brees or Rodgers. Drafting a Carson Wentz or Matthew Stafford doesn't get you anywhere further than you are now. Hell even Goff doesn't look like an improvement. You can either continue to try to win it all with Dak who is more than capable or you can muddle around for a decade buying raffle tickets to find the next truly special NFL QB.
And the raffle tickets aren't cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom