Jason Carrot gives out participation trophys to the pee-wee football team

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Jason Garrett's message to the team after the 30-22 loss to the Los Angeles Rams: "“Incredibly proud of our football team. You talk about mental toughness and physical toughness, they demonstrated that the whole year. A young football team that grew a lot over the course of 16 games and a couple of games in the playoffs. I think we learn from our experiences. I think we grew. I think we got tougher. I think we became a more hardened football team. A lot of young guys grew up and they grew up together. And those are real positive things that we can build on. The Rams were a better team than we were today. They were. And I don't question our effort, our toughness, our fight. Those guys put it all out there. It inspires me. The hair stands up on the back of my neck when I talk about them and think about them. Everything they put out there, it's something else. I love the group of guys that we have. They care about each other. They love each other. They love this game. They go about it the right way. All things that we can build on for the future.”"

Carrot always seems to forget that effort doesn't count for shit in the big boys league. Only the score does. When you've been the coach of a mediocre team as long as he has, it reaches the point where he grasps for anything -- intangibles that can't be measured by a score: toughness, grit, fight, growth. Big fuckin' deal. Did you win or lose? Nobody cares about anything else.

I thought the part about the "hair standing up on the back of his neck" was especially poetic.
This is the kind of speech a loser gives. Real coaches don’t say that crap. They hold themselves and the players accountable for being unprepared and for playing like shit. Coddling them does nothing but make things worse. #FireGarrett

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I ain't Schmitty but...

I really don't get all the teeth gnashing and hair pulling over this.

I mean what do y'all really expect?

"Yeah this team sucks! I don't know how we ever won ten games this year! I should probably resign as head coach and tell Jerry to sell the team! Have a great off season guys!"

What self respecting head coach is gonna say that? All he can do is come out and say they were out played and they have to do better, I know it's not what you wanna hear but let's be real for a minute. Nothing he or any other HC says is gonna make you feel better after a loss like that.

I'm no fan of Garrett by any stretch of means but this is just silly!

I'm gonna go back to creating genius threads like "Dak vs Troy" now.

It's not teeth gnashing and hair pulling -- it's more my stomach is churning and I'm going to puke. Winning ten games doesn't mean shit -- they don't give out trophies for that. Winning the SB is what counts -- or even playing in a NFC conference championship game -- which they haven't done since 1996.

Carrot could say "this was one step on our way to the next step. I'm glad we made it this far but next year we're going further. I feel like I let this talented group of young players down as a coach. I will do better."

p1_

DCC 4Life
I thought the part about the "hair standing up on the back of his neck" was especially poetic.
thats one of his newer cliche's, he seems to like that particular one.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You mean like when Bill Parcells used to say "I don't coach penalties!"
I also heard Parcells say after a bad loss, "I'm embarrassed to put a team on the field that plays like that."

Garrett has never, ever said anything remotely close to that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This thread is like the Bat Signal for Schmitty to come defend his lady.
It's the bat signal for the haters to come in here and jerk each others' dicks off while they fantasize about firing him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I ain't Schmitty but...

I really don't get all the teeth gnashing and hair pulling over this.

I mean what do y'all really expect?

"Yeah this team sucks! I don't know how we ever won ten games this year! I should probably resign as head coach and tell Jerry to sell the team! Have a great off season guys!"

What self respecting head coach is gonna say that? All he can do is come out and say they were out played and they have to do better, I know it's not what you wanna hear but let's be real for a minute. Nothing he or any other HC says is gonna make you feel better after a loss like that.

I'm no fan of Garrett by any stretch of means but this is just silly!

I'm gonna go back to creating genius threads like "Dak vs Troy" now.
That's 99% of the bitching. There is a thread of valid frustration, blown way the fuck out of proportion because every. last. game. and every. last. play. and every. last. press conference becomes some sort of referendum on his effectiveness. It's a race to point out after each loss who can pinpoint why and how he fucked up. It will always be his fault, because that's the culture that has developed around this clique of fans.

That's how we get essentially disproven nonsense like "He's robotic. I don't know how the players respond to him." Well, dummy, it's because he's only robotic when the camera is in front of his face because it's part of the coach-speak act.

No one is willing to have an actual legitimate pro/con analysis because if they give him any credit at all, for which he does deserve a bunch, they are afraid that means they lose the argument and he can't be fired, which is their only objective.... even above winning games, for some of them.

You can think he needs to be replaced. There is a fair argument there. But you won't find that fair argument to be had on this board, or probably any board. People have the mob mentality. It's why the knives come out when he goes 4-12 with no quarterback. HE SUCKS! He should have won 4 games instead of 2 with Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel!

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Um, no, he doesn't have to say the team sucks. But he could put some of the blame on himself. He could say how sick these losses make him because these opportunities don't come around every year. He could say giving up franchise records in rushing yardage is unacceptable.

Anything but the eighth grade feel-good cliches he uses every week.
Andy Reid says literally the same thing after every loss. "We have to look at the tape and get better." "Everyone has to get better." At least that's what he did in Philly.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If they extend Garrett, I just can’t anymore.

At what point as a head coach is enough, enough? At what point do you go over to your defense and get in their face and challenge them to show some backbone? 150 yards rushing? 200 yards? 225?

Does anyone else notice he leaves that shit to Richard? He’s supposed to be the leader.
They were challenged. Richard was screaming at them. Which is the coordinator's responsibility at the direction of the head coach. Head coaches don't go yell at position groups during games.

Another fabricated and nonsensical flaw of Garrett's.

kidd

DCC 4Life
They were challenged. Richard was screaming at them. Which is the coordinator's responsibility at the direction of the head coach. Head coaches don't go yell at position groups during games.

Another fabricated and nonsensical flaw of Garrett's.
People can get mad but I agree with this as well. It falls in the same line of Romo not having enough angra face!!1!

Lookit, I’m not here saying I like Garrett or anything he does nor do I want him to get an extension. I just think that there’s other things to get all worked up about than a stupid PC.

My my biggest issue with Garrett is that it seems he needs a steak on every plate in order to have success. He never seems to out coach anyone. Now that’s a more legitimate reason to bitch than what he says to a reporter after a tough loss.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I agree Garrett rarely "outcoaches" anyone. But at the same time, he doesn't get "outcoached" as often as people like to throw around the term either.

But yeah, look, there are a billion things to get mad about besides his press conference, which is only people's projection of what they already feel about him and has absolutely nothing to do with the way he coaches or how effective he is. Just zero. Stop reading into it. It's stupid.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
It is one reason I can't stand him. Never fully accepts responsibility. Always acts like he's above reproach. Also always acts like he has job security, which of course he does.
You guys hate him because he hasn't won a Super Bowl. It's just that. We're sick of the guy because he hasn't achieved the level of success he could have. He had teams in 2014 and 2016 the should have made the championship game but didn't. That's why we all want him to go. But it ain't happening so, oh well.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Andy Reid says literally the same thing after every loss. "We have to look at the tape and get better." "Everyone has to get better." At least that's what he did in Philly.
That's bullshit. Reid actually says things like, "that's my bad." and "that's on me" and "I need to do a better job."

He said these types of things so often it was essentially a meme in Philly.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's bullshit. Reid actually says things like, "that's my bad." and "that's on me" and "I need to do a better job."

He said these types of things so often it was essentially a meme in Philly.
So he said “I have to do better” instead of “we have to do better”? Ok. My memory is that it was something like that, but that’s the point.

He said the same old empty platitudes over and over again until it enraged everyone and became a meme. WIP would be so pissed because they were like “by just repeating “I/we have to do better” but then never doing anything differently, he’s just dismissing our concerns and giving us an empty answer to shut us up.

Yes.... that is what all coaches do.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Does anyone recall Richard falling on the sword?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Does anyone recall Richard falling on the sword?
He did. Right after the game when talking to the reporters.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
So he said “I have to do better” instead of “we have to do better”? Ok. My memory is that it was something like that, but that’s the point.

He said the same old empty platitudes over and over again until it enraged everyone and became a meme. WIP would be so pissed because they were like “by just repeating “I/we have to do better” but then never doing anything differently, he’s just dismissing our concerns and giving us an empty answer to shut us up.

Yes.... that is what all coaches do.
I vs we is a big difference.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's 99% of the bitching. There is a thread of valid frustration, blown way the fuck out of proportion because every. last. game. and every. last. play. and every. last. press conference becomes some sort of referendum on his effectiveness. It's a race to point out after each loss who can pinpoint why and how he fucked up. It will always be his fault, because that's the culture that has developed around this clique of fans.

That's how we get essentially disproven nonsense like "He's robotic. I don't know how the players respond to him." Well, dummy, it's because he's only robotic when the camera is in front of his face because it's part of the coach-speak act.

No one is willing to have an actual legitimate pro/con analysis because if they give him any credit at all, for which he does deserve a bunch, they are afraid that means they lose the argument and he can't be fired, which is their only objective.... even above winning games, for some of them.

You can think he needs to be replaced. There is a fair argument there. But you won't find that fair argument to be had on this board, or probably any board. People have the mob mentality. It's why the knives come out when he goes 4-12 with no quarterback. HE SUCKS! He should have won 4 games instead of 2 with Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel!
I hope Garrett loses both of his arms in a horrific ping pong accident just so I don't have to see him clap ever again.

Top Bottom