Cowboys planning extension for Jason Garrett.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
His shop list sounds worse then it is. A stud DT and Earl Thomas could turn this defense into elite.

After sleeping on it I think the biggest need on offense is a number 2 RB. We can't keep running Zeke into the ground to the point he has nothing left. Sure I would like a better TE and better Oline play. But we will get Frederick back. Which makes Looney a very good backup. Collins and Smith aren't going anywhere. We have a young LG who is hopefully going to develop in the offseason.

WR is good. Cooper and Gallup are a legit 1/2 punch. Beasley when healthy is excellent in his role. We will get the rookie from last year back from IR, and I like Cedrick Wilson. Sure I wouldn't mind better depth after those guys. But it's not something you have to use premium resources on.

Basically go get me Earl Thomas and a free agent high end DT. Get the best available in the draft and I'm ready to go to war next season for a Superbowl. Assuming Linehan/Garrett don't fuck it up.

I love all this "stud" shit. What we need is a "stud" this and a "stud" that, like you can find them on supermarket shelves. And the messiah free agent. Plus clean the house and bring in a "stud" OC and a "stud" QB coach -- like Carrot will ever agree to any of that.

What's needed more than anything is a "stud" head coach and an owner whose brain hasn't been pickled by Jack Daniels.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love all this "stud" shit. What we need is a "stud" this and a "stud" that, like you can find them on supermarket shelves. And the messiah free agent. Plus clean the house and bring in a "stud" OC and a "stud" QB coach -- like Carrot will ever agree to any of that.
Earl Thomas is a no brainer since we were willing to give up a second for him. There is one. The DT doesn't have to be a stud but you can find very good ones in free agency usually. I'd still draft one too. But yeah stud DTs are usually drafted and developed which we haven't done.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Earl Thomas had a broken leg in 2018, played only four games, and will be 30 years old next season, which will be his ninth year. Is that the kind of player you want to build your future on? This is the kind of pie-in-the-sky shit I don't get.

Earl Thomas will not make Carrot a better coach or Jerry or more coherent owner.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

What's needed more than anything is a "stud" head coach and an owner whose brain hasn't been pickled by Jack Daniels.
I am offended. It is not that swill from Tennessee.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
make Carrot a better coach or Jerry or more coherent owner.
If this is what you are waiting for you might as well take a break from football. Its just not ever going to happen but you still have to field a team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Earl Thomas had a broken leg in 2018, played only four games, and will be 30 years old next season, which will be his ninth year. Is that the kind of player you want to build your future on? This is the kind of pie-in-the-sky shit I don't get.

Earl Thomas will not make Carrot a better coach or Jerry or more coherent owner.
It's not pie in the sky anything. He is a far better safety then what we have. A guy capable of creating turnovers. We aren't building a team around any free agents. The team is built around the young draft picks we have made. We are now at a stage where you put the finishing pieces in place. Like a veteran safety who has been elite in this defense. But yes his injuries concern me.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah studs are hard to find, but it's code for "actually dedicate resources towards" that position, not "scrub off bottom of Will McClay's shoe". Some of those scrubs are good finds, like Woods is a decent backup 1-Tech. Except we needed a starter.

BTW, Carrot seems to not give a shit who his QB coach is as long as it keeps his OC happy,

This is beyond obvious, but it ain't happening. Dallas needs overwhelming talent to have a chance.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is beyond obvious, but it ain't happening. Dallas needs overwhelming talent to have a chance.
I agree. Frankly these coaching hires this year have discouraged me. I'm ready to just wait for Lincoln Riley to get bored of college football. If he got hired and we kept Red Ball I'd be pissed.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I cant imagine we let Linehan stay. The offense so consistently under performed, really for the last 2 seasons. It's a no brainer. Then the question becomes, is Garrett ready to embrace a good dose of healthy change? I sure hope so, cause his offense is gone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cant imagine we let Linehan stay. The offense so consistently under performed, really for the last 2 seasons. It's a no brainer.
Yeah I'm not sure what our options are for offensive coordinator but somebodies QB coach has to be better than this guy.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Oh yeah, for the Defense-Wins-Championshippers...

Ravens (1), Bears (2), Chargers (9), and Cowboys (7) all got their asses handed to them complete with impaled dicks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh yeah, for the Defense-Wins-Championshippers...

Ravens (1), Bears (2), Chargers (9), and Cowboys (7) all got their asses handed to them complete with impaled dicks.
Every season seems to be different but this definitely feels like the year of the offense.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Every season seems to be different but this definitely feels like the year of the offense.
It's been the decade of offense. You need a QB who can sling it around.

Dak made big strides but I still worry.

A Manning/Brady/Roethlisberger/Brees type, you'll always be in the playoffs. Every year.

If you are even more like Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco, Super Bowl caliber QBs, you can easily be down and out any given year or even multiple years in a row.

If you are less than Ryan or Flacco, god help you. You need the stars to align.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Kind of odd to lump Ryan and Flacco together, Ryan is several tiers better than Flacco.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's been the decade of offense. You need a QB who can sling it around.

Dak made big strides but I still worry.

A Manning/Brady/Roethlisberger/Brees type, you'll always be in the playoffs. Every year.

If you are even more like Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco, Super Bowl caliber QBs, you can easily be down and out any given year or even multiple years in a row.

If you are less than Ryan or Flacco, god help you. You need the stars to align.
Broncos won it with really poor QB play 3 years ago. They were all studly defense.

Also Ravens, Seahawk and Giants won it with defense pretty recently. So no defense isn't dead in the NFL. Just maybe this year. We've seen some pretty innovative offensive stuff this year that defenses haven't caught up to yet. They will.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Broncos won it with really poor QB play 3 years ago. They were all studly defense.

Also Ravens, Seahawk and Giants won it with defense pretty recently. So no defense isn't dead in the NFL. Just maybe this year. We've seen some pretty innovative offensive stuff this year that defenses haven't caught up to yet. They will.
Flacco had a miracle playoff run, Seahawks did force a turnover fest but Russell Wilson is one of the best QBs there is and proved it again in that game, and the Giants also got two miracle runs from Eli Manning to win it.

Really only the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs won with purely defense-led efforts. You might add the Seahawks in that last group, but I believe in Wilson.

The best teams are good on both sides of the ball, but the QB and receiving corps are the difference-makers down the stretch.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Damn, I first read the title as "Cowboys planning exit for Jason Garrett"

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I still think having a tough defense can raise a team to the next level. Who knows, we may have beaten the Rams had it not been for the 270 rushing yards they shoved up our ass. Yes, in today's league you have to be able to score. And typically more than 20 points against a team like LA or KC. But if your defense can really slow these offenses down, you're over halfway there.

Top Bottom