Cowboys planning extension for Jason Garrett.

Grant Gordon
NFL.com
Print

Jason Garrett will be back in the saddle for the Dallas Cowboys for a longtime to come.

Currently in his ninth season at the helm in Dallas, Garrett is likely to sign an extension whenever the offseason comes for the Cowboys, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Saturday morning. Dallas will make a strong attempt to lock him up.

"I'm told the Cowboys are positive that Garrett is going to be their coach going forward," Rapoport said on Good Morning Football: Weekend, "and after the season when this all ends, they do intend to begin negotiating a long-term extension with Garrett."

Garrett is under contract with the Cowboys through the 2019 season following an extension he signed in 2015 for five years and $30 million.

Another member of the Dallas staff set to return, as well, is Kris Richard, the team's defensive backs coach and defensive play-caller who was a popular head-coaching candidate. Richard was a finalist for the Miami Dolphins head-coaching vacancy, but as previously reported by Rapoport, that is expected to go to the Patriots' Brian Flores.

Richard is likely to be promoted to "full-time defensive coordinator" next season with current DC Rod Marinelli likely taking on a senior defensive assistant role.

"The Cowboys love this guy," Rapoport said, "cannot overstate what the players believe in Kris Richard."

And to Marinelli's credit, he "has been incredible regarding this situation giving play-calling duties to Richard," Rapoport added.

Following eight seasons with the Seattle Seahawks -- the last three as defensive coordinator -- Richard is in his first season with the Cowboys and they're happy to add to that.

The same goes for Garrett, whose squad posted a 10-6 record in the regular season and won the NFC East title. Garrett boasts a 77-59 record with the Cowboys, which includes just three playoff appearances.

Hence, when Dallas sputtered to a 3-5 start to the season, some pondered a possible dismissal of Garrett, but it's likely that was never in consideration.

"I never quite got the sense that Garrett was for real in trouble with the Dallas Cowboys," Rapoport said. "This is someone they've invested a lot in and really did believe, even when they were 3-5, that he was the coach of the future. Now they know for sure."

But the immediate future for the Cowboys is in Los Angeles as they look to upset the second-seeded Rams in the Divisional Round of the playoff dance.

Whenever the Cowboys' final ride of the season comes to fruition, Garrett's future in Dallas will be extended.

"They are very focused on this game," Rapoport said, "but after the playoffs they'll get down to business."

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Don’t do it, Jerry. I’ll forgive every other fucked up thing you’ve done over the last 20+ years if you don’t make this one mistake.

shane

DCC 4Life
Fuck the team for not quitting on the coach. Le'veon Bell was right. Piss on everything about this franchise.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So how many years? Im guessing another 5.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Garrett’s locked in so our only hope is a strong, innovative OC and QB coach come in.

It’s clear the Rams’ extra week of preparation doomed us on top of their superior talent. They dismantled our defensive interior and pushed Randy Gregory around.

We we need a stud DT, and it’s possible quality 1-techs fall into the second day. We could also use an OT.

And how about some WR, TE, and RB help in FA?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Garrett’s locked in so our only hope is a strong, innovative OC and QB coach come in.

It’s clear the Rams’ extra week of preparation doomed us on top of their superior talent. They dismantled our defensive interior and pushed Randy Gregory around.

We we need a stud DT, and it’s possible quality 1-techs fall into the second day. We could also use an OT.

The only way I am ok with Garrett staying on is if they bring in a new OC and the system that Garrett has forced down everyones throat is thrown out the window. With that should come a new QB's coach. Moore has not done a damn thing for Dak. Its obvious that a good QB coach and OC can turn a mediocre QB into a pretty decent one, although I'm not sold on Goff. But he is light years ahead of where he was under Fisher.

Definitely need a RB in the Sproles mode...a guy who really changes the pace of the game and the speed out of the backfield. Just about every successful team is using one of those change of pace backs...except of course Jason Garrett.

There needs to be serious resources put towards a huge space eating DT and a safety who can make plays. Heath is not the answer, nor has he ever been.

deadrise

DCC 4Life

That's quite a shopping list. So the draft and free agency will solve Garrett's shortcomings?

Rev

Staff member
That's quite a shopping list. So the draft and free agency will solve Garrett's shortcomings?
Garrett isnt going anywhere so what else are you supposed to do?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
OF course not. But Garrett isn't going anywhere. You already know this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
His shop list sounds worse then it is. A stud DT and Earl Thomas could turn this defense into elite.

After sleeping on it I think the biggest need on offense is a number 2 RB. We can't keep running Zeke into the ground to the point he has nothing left. Sure I would like a better TE and better Oline play. But we will get Frederick back. Which makes Looney a very good backup. Collins and Smith aren't going anywhere. We have a young LG who is hopefully going to develop in the offseason.

WR is good. Cooper and Gallup are a legit 1/2 punch. Beasley when healthy is excellent in his role. We will get the rookie from last year back from IR, and I like Cedrick Wilson. Sure I wouldn't mind better depth after those guys. But it's not something you have to use premium resources on.

Basically go get me Earl Thomas and a free agent high end DT. Get the best available in the draft and I'm ready to go to war next season for a Superbowl. Assuming Linehan/Garrett don't fuck it up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I think our defense was worn out as well. These young guys aren't used to the grind yet. And McVays hurry up and wait offense has to be exhausting.

Rev

Staff member
We can't keep going around this Big Ben/Parliament circle. We just fucking can't. I'm at my god damn wit's end with this organization. I'm back to CFR levels of hatred. Fed. the fuck. up.
Tried to save you the frustration last night.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We can't keep going around this Big Ben/Parliament circle. We just fucking can't. I'm at my god damn wit's end with this organization. I'm back to CFR levels of hatred. Fed. the fuck. up.
I'm not really at this point yet. This team was better than any of us thought to start the season. We were very young. Yes it gulls me that I think we lost a game that we would have won of the defense played at their normal level. But I think we are still in the building up process. So I'm not overly upset with a divisional round loss where we at least fought back and made it a respectable game.

Linehan needs to go though. And Richard needs to be allowed to put his stamp on the defense this offseason. No more running Marinelli's system with the talent he wanted. Let Richard do some shopping.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Definitely need a RB in the Sproles mode...a guy who really changes the pace of the game and the speed out of the backfield. Just about every successful team is using one of those change of pace backs...except of course Jason Garrett.
If we want any chance at HFA (which, let’s face it was a big part of our loss and I don’t want to hear about how many Cowboys fans showed up) we need to spell Zeke.

Its fucking crazy how determined Garrett is to burn out his RBs. Barber, Murray, and now Zeke.

Another 300 carry season and Zeke is done.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we want any chance at HFA (which, let’s face it was a big part of our loss and I don’t want to hear about how many Cowboys fans showed up) we need to spell Zeke.

Its fucking crazy how determined Garrett is to burn out his RBs. Barber, Murray, and now Zeke.

Another 300 carry season and Zeke is done.
Yeah we need a legit backup. Preferably one with speed who can catch the ball.

Top Bottom