Divisional Round 2018 Game Day Chatter | Cowboys at Rams | 01-12-19

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I now can't stand Marcus Peters.
I never could. Their defense wasn't shit though. What was it one fraud sack the entire game? 100 QB rating for our QB which doesn't even take into account his rushing TD. Props your defense stopped the run not thanks to you. And your offense played the best game of keep away I have ever seen. But Peter's isn't shit.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I never could. Their defense wasn't shit though. What was it one fraud sack the entire game? 100 QB rating for our QB which doesn't even take into account his rushing TD. Props your defense stopped the run not thanks to you. And your offense played the best game of keep away I have ever seen. But Peter's isn't shit.
Watch him get his ass handed to him vs NO.

p1_

DCC 4Life
and btw, if you missed it, Amari jacked him up after the game.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
He burned them for a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty, then a 30 yard TD right after that, 5 more catches and 35 more yards, and a key DPI penalty to draw the score to 8 points. All is all, he had a good to very good game. So, no he was not choked out.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
While errbody is shitting on Linehan, the defense is getting very little of the same flak.

Schlereth nailed it here.

And bottom line, no, it was not "stances" and "tells" nor the stupid cleats that Jerry Jones was babbling about.

We had a lousy ass gameplan.

In fact, I think we didn't expect them to run nearly as much as they did. Whatever they studied, they based their gameplan off something other than just bottling up Gurley.

All week, Lawrence and the rest of them were talking about taking Goff's soul etc.

Then you see the body language of the DBs, they were ready to play a pass defense game, not crash the LOS.

Both Woods and Heath had the shittiest days in forever, both Vander Esch and Smith didn't look comfortable.

They were running stunts against a zone heavy running game. The Rams were not going to stop until we stopped stunting. And Marinelli and Richard didn't.

But I put it more on Marinelli, the stunting and so on is his baby.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
But I put it more on Marinelli, the stunting and so on is his baby.
That's a really good post. Too bad it's a bit buried in this thread. You know, Linehan is gonna get the axe in all likelihood because the Jones have to do something and Linehan has it coming. However, our offense played pretty darn well on Saturday night. It was the defense that sunk our season. It wasn't just a bad gameplan, we also failed to adjust - continuously. That really isn't on Garrett either. Secondarily perhaps. Primarily it is on Marinelli and perhaps Richard as well.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
That's a really good post. Too bad it's a bit buried in this thread. You know, Linehan is gonna get the axe in all likelihood because the Jones have to do something and Linehan has it coming. However, our offense played pretty darn well on Saturday night. It was the defense that sunk our system. It wasn't just a bad gameplan, we also failed to adjust - continuously. That really isn't on Garrett either. Secondarily perhaps. Primarily it is on Marinelli and perhaps Richard as well.
I wonder the Richard factor.

p1_

DCC 4Life
We look so pedestrian in comparison to this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We look so pedestrian in comparison to this.
Yeah looks to me like Jaylon could have blown that up. It's like he didn't really trust the DE to keep his contain. Which he probably couldn't. But Jaylon should also be able to play that tighter. With his speed if Goff comes out the back end of that thing with the ball he has the speed to make that up.

p1_

DCC 4Life

What an unimaginative call, and with the game on the line. Hey, let's just run Zeke straight ahead.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yeah looks to me like Jaylon could have blown that up. It's like he didn't really trust the DE to keep his contain. Which he probably couldn't. But Jaylon should also be able to play that tighter. With his speed if Goff comes out the back end of that thing with the ball he has the speed to make that up.
Yeah but if you attack the hole the RB doesn't have a chance to bounce it anyway, Clearly Jaylon wasn't committing to the run and they had him read and reacting to not get sucked in for play pass. However, eventually you have to commit to stopping on the run when you are getting gashed like that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We've converted plenty of 3rd/4th and 1 or less this year by running Elliott right up the middle, including earlier in the Rams game, but that's the problem. If you just keep running it so repetitively eventually it's going to get stuffed, you need to evolve off of that call and start to build in play calls off of the expectation that the opponent is going to gear up to stop Elliott between the tackles. The pitch to Elliott was a good example of doing that, as was the little sprint out later in the game, but they went to the well one too many times on this one, as they're prone to doing.

p1_

DCC 4Life
We've converted plenty of 3rd/4th and 1 or less this year by running Elliott right up the middle, including earlier in the Rams game, but that's the problem. If you just keep running it so repetitively eventually it's going to get stuffed, you need to evolve off of that call and start to build in play calls off of the expectation that the opponent is going to gear up to stop Elliott between the tackles. The pitch to Elliott was a good example of doing that, as was the little sprint out later in the game, but they went to the well one too many times on this one, as they're prone to doing.
exactly. This is THE critical moment for us. Can you not show some urgency by doing something different at that moment in the game? Situational awareness, creativity, game/season/title game aspirations hanging in the balance. Gimme something special, I need a single yard.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
We had an inordinate number of short yardage plays in this game. We did mix things up after getting stuffed but you're right, we did run Zeke up the gut again and again. We were successful with it 3 times before they stuffed us with just a little variation.

1st drive - 4th & 1 at LA 49
Zeke up the middle for 5 yards + 15 yard penalty on LA

6th drive, 4th & 1 at LA 41
Zeke toss to right for 5 yards

6th drive 1st & Goal at LA 2
Zeke up middle for one yard

6th drive 2nd & Goal at LA 1
Zeke up middle for TD

6th drive, 2 PT Conversion (from 2 yard line)
Dak pass to Amari Cooper for 2 pt

7th drive, 4th & 1 at LA 35
Zeke up middle for 1 yard, stuffed, TOD

8th drive, 4th & 1 at LA 42
Dak off right end for 2 yards

8th drive, 2nd & 1 at LA 15
E.Elliott left end to LA 17 for -2 yards

8th drive, 1st & Goal at LA 1
E.Elliott right tackle to LA 1 for no gain

8th drive, 2nd & Goal at LA 1
D.Prescott right tackle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN

* We also had a 4th and 3 play which was the DPI on Talib. Not included here because not a short yardage play. We went for it on 4th a total of 5 times. Got it 4 times. Actually pretty good.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Offensively it seems that the coaches run certain concepts and plays into the ground until it becomes clear to any and everybody that it's not as effective anymore. They seemingly refuse to innovate until their hands are forced when things start going south. That play-action bootleg that they ran to great effect in 2016 comes to mind. They ran it into the ground in 2017, overusing it until it became obvious that every defense had it fully scouted to the point that it wouldn't work anymore. They cut down on the usage in 2018 significantly but it became more effective as they stopped going to the well over and over. Their inability to self-scout and refusal to evolve before their opponents catch up to them is probably the number one thing that annoys me about the staff.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Offensively it seems that the coaches run certain concepts and plays into the ground until it becomes clear to any and everybody that it's not as effective anymore. They seemingly refuse to innovate until their hands are forced when things start going south. That play-action bootleg that they ran to great effect in 2016 comes to mind. They ran it into the ground in 2017, overusing it until it became obvious that every defense had it fully scouted to the point that it wouldn't work anymore. They cut down on the usage in 2018 significantly but it became more effective as they stopped going to the well over and over. Their inability to self-scout and refusal to evolve before their opponents catch up to them is probably the number one thing that annoys me about the staff.
This is exactly right. It's why our pass plays become so predictable that the DB's know what routes they are running. Something works once or twice in a game and we just keep going back to the same well.

Top Bottom