Divisional Round 2018 Game Day Chatter | Cowboys at Rams | 01-12-19

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Did we do anything Sean McVay innovative? No, of course not, but that’s not who Garrett is and we all know that. It doesn’t mean we were “outcoached
What? That's EXACTLY what that means. One coach designed plays that neutralized the other team's strengths (jets sweeps and misdirections that took away the Dallas defense's ability to play as fast as they normally do, particularly the LBs) while the other staff ran a stale scheme with very little motion or creativity.

That's. Called. Outcoaching. :picard

That's literally the definition of it but you're so dug in on defending Garrett that you reuse to acknowledge that.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I just can't bring myself to watch football right now.

data

Forbes #1
My only regret is that I have but one prop to give.
Doesn't it piss you off when they don't mix the toppings throughout the McFlurry? Some places just dump the flavor on top of the vanilla. FUCKER ISN"T FLURRIED THEN, it's just a sundae.

Apparently, the flurrying part of the McFlurry machine is a bitch to clean.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
What? That's EXACTLY what that means. One coach designed plays that neutralized the other team's strengths (jets sweeps and misdirections that took away the Dallas defense's ability to play as fast as they normally do, particularly the LBs) while the other staff ran a stale scheme with very little motion or creativity.

That's literally the definition of it but you're so dug in on defending Garrett that you reuse to acknowledge that.
Yep.

Genghis Khan

Doesn't it piss you off when they don't mix the toppings throughout the McFlurry? Some places just dump the flavor on top of the vanilla. FUCKER ISN"T FLURRIED THEN, it's just a sundae.

Apparently, the flurrying part of the McFlurry machine is a bitch to clean.
Yes, but I will say I'm a little bit over the mcflurry type of stuff now. Everybody is doing it. I'm tired of having to chew my ice cream. I don't need candy or whatever in everything.

data

Forbes #1

How many years of playoff-but-non-NFCC years will it take until a major change (Garrett firing or major scheme change) is taken?

You wanna give the benefit of the doubt and say one-more-player gets you over the hump, but at some point, you have to realize that it aint happening.

Keep playing those same lotto numbers, week-in and week-out, Jerruh.

data

Forbes #1
We have Presidential term limits, why not coaching term limits? I'd like a shot at getting Belichick every 4 years.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You guys — not just Shane, I’m talking about most of you — are completely off the reservation right now.
Yeah they are. At mid season few if any could even see a winning season. Playoffs were only for homers and day dreamers. Winning a playoff game was as far fetched as the lunatic fringe of a stupid and naive, starry eyed day dreamer. Yet the team got to the second game of the playoffs. Pretty damn good for a bunch of losers.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Coincidentally, it was the 85 playoff loss to Rams that showed Landry’s schemes were archaic and needed to be put out to pasture. Last nights game has me convinced of the same.

I’ll say this much. Garrett impressed me this season. Team played with resiliency, unity and spirit of a champion. However, our donkey schemes, even with its perfectly-executed fastest race, can’t beat thoroughbred horses.

i thought it was apparent that McVays scheme enabled the Rams to play 12 v 11 with us constantly reactionary.

In the 90s before free agency, Cowboys were so talent-superior, we could just lineup and out-execute with Pop Warner plays. In this age of parity, can’t win three playoff games straight simply by out-executing the opponent because they’re just as talented and executing well.

We need an 12 v 11 edge, too. We need element of surprise. We need to get one opposing player to run himself out of play so our blocker is free to block the next guy.

This has been apparent for a while now and we've been talking about it on this board for at least 5 years. The Cowboys scheme relies too much on the player having to out-execute & out-talent the man across from them because very few plays in the Cowboys playbook are creative enough to create confusion and hesitancy in the other team's defense.

Unfortunately I can't see Jerry Jones actually going after that "next Sean McVay". The Cowboys front office is too lazy to do the leg work to unearth those younger talented offensive minds.

I think what will likely happen is Jerry will fall back on some retread OC who he's familiar with. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see some Norv Turner type rolled up in here.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

How many years of playoff-but-non-NFCC years will it take until a major change (Garrett firing or major scheme change) is taken?

You wanna give the benefit of the doubt and say one-more-player gets you over the hump, but at some point, you have to realize that it aint happening.

Keep playing those same lotto numbers, week-in and week-out, Jerruh.
Honestly I think we have enough players to win big. We just need to coach and scheme them better. I really believe that. One mistake that I think we make is that our belief is that we just do it we do. Week in and week out. We don't seem to do a lot of tailoring are schemes in game plans to our opponents.

it would have helped us yesterday. On both sides of the ball. The Rams do a lot of fakes and misdirections and stuff and our defense is so aggressive it's really easy to get out of our lanes and takes ourselves out of the play. And on offense I forget which local reporter said it but he was right on the money. He said the Rams know full well that they have a weakness defending the run so they were going to load up to stop it. So a good gameplan offensively going in should have been to throw throw throw and take advantage of it but we didn't we never do.

Genghis Khan

This has been apparent for a while now and we've been talking about it on this board for at least 5 years. The Cowboys scheme relies too much on the player having to out-execute & out-talent the man across from them because very few plays in the Cowboys playbook are creative enough to create confusion and hesitancy in the other team's defense.

Unfortunately I can't see Jerry Jones actually going after that "next Sean McVay". The Cowboys front office is too lazy to do the leg work to unearth those younger talented offensive minds.

I think what will likely happen is Jerry will fall back on some retread OC who he's familiar with. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see some Norv Turner type rolled up.
I think the best we can hope for is them firing Linehan but my biggest fear because I don't trust this front office is that we'll just elevate Kellen Moore.

shane

DCC 4Life
Yeah they are. At mid season few if any could even see a winning season. Playoffs were only for homers and day dreamers. Winning a playoff game was as far fetched as the lunatic fringe of a stupid and naive, starry eyed day dreamer. Yet the team got to the second game of the playoffs. Pretty damn good for a bunch of losers.
We would have been better off going 5-11.

Top Bottom