Divisional Round 2018 Game Day Chatter | Cowboys at Rams | 01-12-19

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yeah he definitely could have ran more. But that didn't lose us this game. On my shit list that's not at the top.
Him not running at all until the end of the 4th is pretty up there on mine, if he burns them a couple times early they have to set a spy which loosens the D

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The entire story of this game was the run defense and the front 7 overall just getting manhandled and playing like complete shit.

Garrett is average at best in every way and the play-calling is predictable and uninspired, but yet if we had offered up any resistance whatsoever in the run game we could've won the game. Hell, if these cheese eating mother fuckers had bothered to contain the bootleg on 3rd and 7 (which is literally the most obvious non-run play call in that situation) Prescott would've had the ball with about 2 minutes left and a timeout to go for the tie.

Yea, Elliott was stuffed but that wasn't a huge surprise since I expected that the Rams would sell out completely to stop the run. They did it but in turn Prescott had his way and outplayed Goff.

Sure, Goff didn't have to do much and he was content to hand the ball off, but he barely did anything. Barely 50% completion % and I'd guess at least half of his completions were off play action.

We all know where this team is lacking; dithering HC, uninspired/stale OC, non-elite QB, but at the end of the day 95% of the blame for this game goes on the run defense and the front 7.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
The only thing that bothers me is that if we could have just been respectable against the run we win the game. Just a shitty effort on defense.
This is true. I still think they were geared up for stopping Gurley and were caught off guard when LA broke out the two headed monster. I would not be surprised if the game plan was 80% focused on Gurley though. Dallas wasn't prepared for Anderson's battering style. As they say, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one but that's my take. It would not be the first time that an opposing team caught this coaching staff by surprise.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There were multiple factors but in a one score game as it turned out on a team that went 1/10 on 3rd down, a first down here and there might not have hurt to bolster the O's confidence.
Sure and if Dak starts being quick to run the ball maybe he doesn't make the big completion to Gallup. His scrambling to throw in this game also worked. It's a balancing act But like I said, our shitty running game and inability to stop the run were way bigger problems.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd also like to point out that McVay and the Rams did nothing out of the ordinary tonight, they beat us with simple runs they've been running all year. This came down to effort and I'm guessing the defense getting too high on their own press clippings.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd also like to point out that McVay and the Rams did nothing out of the ordinary tonight, they beat us with simple runs they've been running all year. This came down to effort and I'm guessing the defense getting too high on their own press clippings.
Yeah this wasn't a result of us playing the pass. It was pretty simple shit. We just couldn't stop it and McVay rode it. I absolutely agree, these guys on defense thought they were the shit and didn't come out angry and agressive.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I think fighting Seattle for 4 quarters while the Rams sat home can’t be underestimated.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Did we beat any good teams on the road this year? Might have been a factor.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think fighting Seattle for 4 quarters while the Rams sat home can’t be underestimated.
Perhaps but we dominated TOP against Seattle and they only ran the ball about 20-25 times in total, I get being tired or not quite as fresh/energized but this was something different, I can't even tell you the last time the run defense played this poorly.

Goff was putzing around most of the game and we still couldn't keep them from averaging about 7 YPC.

I'll say it again, the 3rd and 7 that iced the game tells me all I need to know. The play-action bootleg is literally the most obvious play call there if they decide not to run, you basically only have to defend the run and the play action off of it. Goff rolled out, his one target was completely covered by Lee and for some reason Heath was dicking around in no man's land staring at Gurley who is about 15 yards away from him down the LOS while he completely ignores Goff rolling out.

Completely simple play that should've been easily defended but for whatever reason it wasn't. I think it was partially the coaches being unprepared or not getting the players up enough, but mostly I blame the players for simply getting beat.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Did we beat any good teams on the road this year? Might have been a factor.
Do you want to call the Eagles a good team?

Other than that, no, we only beat them, the Giants and Falcons, although the defense played well in Houston and Carolina too.

I think the defense is definitely better at home, not just because of the crowd but because they're built on speed and rallying to the ball, and playing on turf amplifies that.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Well I'm guessing we'll be adding Earl Thomas. That may well fix the Jeff Heath issue.

data

Forbes #1
Well, it was entertaining. Cowboys always win in this category.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Well I'm guessing we'll be adding Earl Thomas. That may well fix the Jeff Heath issue.
They need to do something in free agency, especially without a 1st.

I appreciate the fiscal conservatism and the focus on the draft that got them to this point where there is plenty of cap space and a very young, talented roster, but they need to take a few risks on established talent to push this group over the top.

Almost the entire roster is under contract in 2019 and they could easily talk themselves into the whole "internal improvement" bit with Frederick back, improved chemistry between Dak/Amari/Gallup, another year for LVE/Smith to grow together, etc., but they need to take a risk or two on some top flight talent.

Considering how this team is built I think it would be best to try to add an impact player to the defense and try to push that unit over the top to overwhelming. Give me one of Earl Thomas, Grady Jarrett, Trey Flowers, Frank Clark or even Brandon Graham.

And I realize there is about a 0% chance we sign any of those guys except maybe Thomas, and I also realize signing Clark would mean paying him and Lawrence about 35-40 combined per year, but I say go for it now and worry about cutting dead weight later.

Pay Thomas his 10-12 a year, he might get hurt again but fuck it, structure it so you can get out of it after 2 years and let's get someone in the secondary who can turn the fucking ball over.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
No, disappointed but no surprised. Not embarrassed either. It was a good season. Hopefully they will build on it but that sure hasn't been the history.
I said it earlier in the week. They won't build on this season and advance further next season. I doubt they even make the playoffs. Which is why I wouldn't give Garrett an extension.

Any other coach not named Marvin Lewis or Jason Garrett would have been ran out of town by now. Instead we'll be treated to watching Garrett waste the careers of this current group of players over the next 3-5 years.

It's what I expected so no disappointment on my end. I've seen this story play out too many times in Dallas.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Some psychotic Cowboys fan should murder the ginger. Sure he'd go to prison for the rest of his life but the honor he would receive from fellow Cowboys fans and his service to Cowboys nation would make it worth it.
You guys — not just Shane, I’m talking about most of you — are completely off the reservation right now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It is amazing how many lame cliches like that he threw out in his PC. It's like he doesn't realize there's not a game next week.
Guess what, Chocolate Lab and the DCC are not owed anything but lame cliches. He’s not there to entertain you or to convey some message for your approval.

Obviously he has more than lame cliches, which is how he actually has managed to be an effective head coach for a while now.

The party who has all the lame cliches is mostly posters like you who regurgitate the same uninformed nonsense as if they have any actual insight into the locker room, when in reality, they have fucking none at all.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The only thing that bothers me is that if we could have just been respectable against the run we win the game. Just a shitty effort on defense.
But outcoached and blah blah blah.

This loss in mostly on the players getting completely pushed around. There was not much scheming that could have changed that today.

Certainly McVay didn’t come up with anything exotic or tricky that could be said to have outsmarted us. He laid his cards on the table and they were better than ours.

Top Bottom